Frequent Contributor
gheid45
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

unlocking an ebook

I purchased an ebook for my wife for Christmas from my account and sent to hers. It downloaded fine to hers(a nook  first edition) but now when I want to download it to mine(a  nook tablet) it just keeps asking me for the full name on the credit card used to purchase and the credit card number used. We have shared ebooks we bought from Barnes&Noble before. It asked for the name on the card used and the card number and then unlocked the book. Note, we only had to input this info for the first one we shared, none of the ones after that. As you can imagine I was surprised when it asked for the info again for this book. After an hour with customer service they said I needed to register my tablet on her account instead of mine. Any help or thoughts on how to proceed short of buying the book again? Thanks in advance.

Wordsmith
PJLLB
0 Kudos

Re: unlocking an ebook

Just unlock the book on the other Nook (not registered to your account) by entering your credit card information.  This isn't a charge for the book, it is just unlocking it by verifying the purchase information embedded in the file itself.

Frequent Contributor
gheid45
0 Kudos

The ebook is not locked on the other Nook, it downloaded there fine. I sideloaded it to my Nook tablet and that's when it asked for the name and card number. The first ebook we shared it asked us for that information and we have shared multiple ebooks since then without having to re-enter that information without a problem. Now for this ebook it is asking again and will not accept the information when we put it in. It just goes back to credit card name and credit card number information input box.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Is this a book you bought through your account or your wife bought through her account.

You have to enter in the information corresponding to the person and account who ACTUALLY bought the book.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

Did your wife update the CC she is using on her account recently? 

Frequent Contributor
gheid45
0 Kudos

Sorry, I thought I made it clear in my first post, I bought the ebook as an egift for my wife for Christmas. I used my account and my credit card. It downloaded fine to her Nook 1st Edition but when I tried to download it to my Nook Tablet it just keeps going back to the box asking for the full name on the credit card and the credit card number used to buy the ebook even after putting in that information. We have shared ebooks before and it only asked for that information the very first time. After that it downloaded the other ebooks without asking for that information again. Of course customer service says that I need to have both of the Nooks on one account. I told the person that they were mistaken but they said that it had to be that way. Please, any suggestions?

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Sorry, maybe we weren't clear.  Don't the egift books work the same as gift cards?  Isnt the book now associated with her account? If so, you would need to install her copy onto your nook (and put in her name  andcredit card #.)  Or did you try thst already?

Frequent Contributor
gheid45
0 Kudos

Yes, we tried that also. Didn't work that way either.

Frequent Contributor
gheid45

Solved!! I did have to input the information from my wife's account even though I bought it from my account. The first time I tried doing that I put in the wrong name where it asked me for the name on the credit card. When I put in the correct name it unlocked the book. Thanks for everyone's help.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Good to know it worked.

If you gift it to her account, it seems its hers. And the credit card associated is hers. This confirms that hypothesis.

New User
SAV38
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am also having issues with this.  I have two devices (1st Edition and Simple Touch).  I wiped out the 1st Edition and want to reload select books for my daughter. 

When you sideloaded the book did you use Calibre?  I cannot even get the device to capture the book.  Any suggestions on how to do this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!!

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

SAV38 wrote:

Hello,

I am also having issues with this.  I have two devices (1st Edition and Simple Touch).  I wiped out the 1st Edition and want to reload select books for my daughter. 

When you sideloaded the book did you use Calibre?  I cannot even get the device to capture the book.  Any suggestions on how to do this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!!

Are you looking to sideload B&N books from your NST?  If so, you don't need to use Calibre.  It's actually probably easier if you don't.  Just connect the N1E to the computer and drag and drop the books you want into the "My Documents" folder.  That's it, you're done.  When you open the first one, the nook will prompt you for your name and the credit card number on the account.  Enter these to unlock the book.  It will remember the number and allow the other books to open automatically.

keriflur

Raven2099 wrote:
i get mst my books from other sources like torrent... like epubbud.com or piratebay.... i bought one ebook on amazon and it works fine on my nook....

Umm...thanks for telling us you're a thief?

New User
SAV38
0 Kudos

Will this work the same way with going from NST to N1E?  I reset the N1E thinking that the Calibre program would work and now having issues.  Thanks in advance!!

keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

SAV38 wrote:

Will this work the same way with going from NST to N1E?  I reset the N1E thinking that the Calibre program would work and now having issues.  Thanks in advance!!

The instructions I gave above are for sideloading B&N books to the N1E.  You will need to have the books on your computer, so you'll need to download them from the B&N website, Nook for PC or Mac, or Nookstudy.  Then connect the N1E and drop the books into the My Documents folder.