New User
diana83
0 Kudos

wifi will not connect in my home when it is on and password is given.

My wifi will not connect on my Nook  tablet in my home. My spouse can use wifi on his phone in our home just fine. My Nook will connect to wifi at McDonalds and Barnes and Nobles etc.  So I figure it's a problem on the Nook end. I click on my address and it says, "authenticating" then "disconnected" The wifi is turned on. I type in my password too. Do I need to change my password? if so how do I do that? What is my problem? diana83

Correspondent
Wulfraed

Re: wifi will not connect in my home when it is on and password is given.

Most public WiFi hotspots are configured with NO link security and, at best, just a firewall block that requires on to accept a terms-of-service agreement on a web page before being able to connect through the firewall.

Home systems, except for those installed by the truly clueless, should have one or more of: link encryption (WEP, WPA, WPA2), MAC address filtering, non-broadcast SSID (the access point does not transmit its name -- you have to spell it to make the first connect).

Note: there has been some indications that the Nook does not work well with WPA security (WPA2 is okay) nor on mixed b/g/n WiFi (few are using slow b, but n really wants to be the only mode on the channel -- save n for 5GHz routers, use g for 2.4GHz which the Nook can find).

Tell your Nook to forget your connection (router) then search for available connections (I assume an SSID is broadcast), and enter the security key for that router (not your B&N account password). Actually, check your router set up first to confirm 2.4GHz g with WPA2 or WEP and what the key is.

Baron Wulfraed
Reader 4
KrisWilk
0 Kudos

I am having the same problem. I started about 2 weeks ago. Hope someone knows how to fix this.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Follow what Wulfraed said above. Change your security type from WPA to one of the other options.

Also try this:

1) 'Forget' the connection on your Nook.

2) Restart your Nook.

Power Off: Press and hold power button for 20 seconds.

Power ON: PRess and hold power button for 4 seconds.

3) REstart your router.

Turn off.

Keep off for 2-3 minutes.

Turn on.

4) Now choose the network on your Nook and connect.