New User
thatonechic
0 Kudos

windows wont recognize my nook tablet

i have windows 7 and it won't recognize my nook tablet. it also keeps saying that the driver can't be successfully installed and when i went to the website of compatable devices they only had the nook color and first edition nook. help!

Correspondent
TelSC
0 Kudos

Re: windows wont recognize my nook tablet

[ Edited ]

Open your device manager in Control Panel and look for a listing for the Nook with an exclamation point on it. If it's there, right click it and select uninstall.

Also, if you previously had a Nook Color or another version of Nook connected, then it may be looking at the older Nooks drivers.

Later......

Oddly enough, my wife just came to me and told me her Windows 7 PC wouldn't connect to her Nook Color. After playing around with it for several minutes, I realized she was using the USB charging cord. I switched to a cord that I use for my camera and it connected fine, but it refuses to connect using the Nook charging cord. If you're using the charging cord and by some chance have another non-Nook usb cord, you might try that.

Stop Calling It A Tablet
New User
Jahna
0 Kudos

I tried the trick mentioned above. I used my smart phone USB cable to plug in my Nook Tablet and low and behold the computer finally recognized the device! 

Hey B&N - fix your USB cables!!!!!!!!

Wordsmith
PJLLB
0 Kudos

Jahna wrote:

I tried the trick mentioned above. I used my smart phone USB cable to plug in my Nook Tablet and low and behold the computer finally recognized the device! 

Hey B&N - fix your USB cables!!!!!!!!

In general, there is nothing wrong with the B&N USB cables.  They work fine for most people, including me.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

The issue is that Windows 7 is very agressive with asscoiating drivers and sometimes 'remembers' the ports etc.

So if for some reason the driver association fails once, then it always 'remembers' that failed association.

So when you use a new USB cable it gets tricked into thinking this is a 'new device' and then the driver association works fine.

The main thing is to try with a few different USB cables and to try a few times if it doesn't work the first time.

Contributor
tarzanphan
0 Kudos

I have also had problems with my computer recognizing some of my devices and have found that remapping the drive it shows up through the Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management has resolved some of the issues.

New User
Atazla
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Okay,

TelSC Correspondent then if it is not Tablet then what do you want to call the device?

TelSC wrote:

Open your device manager in Control Panel and look for a listing for the Nook with an exclamation point on it. If it's there, right click it and select uninstall.

Also, if you previously had a Nook Color or another version of Nook connected, then it may be looking at the older Nooks drivers.

Later......

Oddly enough, my wife just came to me and told me her Windows 7 PC wouldn't connect to her Nook Color. After playing around with it for several minutes, I realized she was using the USB charging cord. I switched to a cord that I use for my camera and it connected fine, but it refuses to connect using the Nook charging cord. If you're using the charging cord and by some chance have another non-Nook usb cord, you might try that.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Sounds like you may have a charge-only cable (I have one so marked from a phone charger). These only have the power leads connected, not the data lines.

Baron Wulfraed
New User
missclimpson
0 Kudos

I had this problem, too, with my nook reader. I changed cords and that didn't help but then I tried a different USB port and that fixed it.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 10 members 220 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: