Contributor
sk8fan

1.4.0 and sideloading

I've done a lot of reading but am not a techie by any means when it comes to the issue of sideloading.

I just got the Tablet tonight & it still has 1.4.0.  I don't want to root & have no issues buying the apps I want from the store, as I expect mostly to use the Nook for reading library books & playing the occasional game, or a tiny bit of light surfing.

However there are a few apps I would like, if it's still possible before updating - such as the Kindle reader, maybe a game or 2, etc.  I've also read about the Amazon app store possibility?

Is it still possible to load those apps & have them run on my Tablet?  If so, is there an easy way to do it?  And if I do that & eventually connect to wi-fi & get the 1.4.1 update, will the apps I previously loaded still run?  A brief walkthrough of options before I do anything would be greatly appreciated... Thanks for helping a newbie. :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Correspondent
mohawkx

Re: 1.4.0 and sideloading

Everything you mentioned is possible and doable but it is an ongoing process that has taken place over a long period of time.  It would be impossible to answer all your questions in one post.  The answaer is Yes to all of the above but you're going to have to do your homework and read/google the threads you need and the answers you want. 

Best I can do.  Maybe someone else can do better.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

[ Edited ]

First of all, I would suggest keeping your wifi off until absolutely necessary in order to minimize your chances of catching the update. Once you're ready to enable the sideloading feature go here --> http://www.google.com/search?q=Nook+Tablet+lilliputing+%22How+to+Sideload+Apps%22&client=safari&rls=.... and click on the first result. It should take you to an article with simple directions. If it doesn't, try the cached version. (A direct link to the article kept telling me that the page couldn't be found, but approaching it through Google seems to work.) When the update hits, you won't be able to install apps from any place other than B&N's store, but the ones you've already installed from other places will continue to work. You just won't be able to update them.

Contributor
sk8fan

Thank you so much!  That link made it very simple & you clarified things a lot.  I installed the app store & downloaded Kindle & Angry Birds Rio, plus the recommended launcher & file manager.  Turned wi-fi off & will leave it off until I pick up a bigger SD card than I had on hand.  Very excited.  I really appreciate it! :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

[ Edited ]

sk8fan, I'm going to have to disagree with the first pieces of advice you got and express my concern that you may ultimately be unhappy with the tablet.  I think 1.4.0 with sideloaded apps installed is a relatively fragile state to keep an unrooted nook tablet in long-term. 

I'd recommend that you read Dean Gibson's guide to rooting the nook tablet;  if that seems like something that'd be far more work than you'd consider putting in, this may be the wrong device.

This is Dean's guide - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1413734

This is why I'm wondering if this is the right device for you:  sooner or later, your tablet will crash and reset itself.  If you aren't ready to root it, and it's gotten updated by then, getting the apps reinstalled and running again will be a lot of work, if it's still a possibility at all. (Each update overwrites the "restore" system that your NT has on it.  So even though it shipped with 1.4.0, once it is updated to 1.4.1, the next time it gets a headache and resets itself, it won't load 1.4.0 but rather 1.4.1)

I greatly prefer to have all of my books in one format.  Converting an Amazon library to the form that the Nook Tablet reads is very easy.  I have a walkthrough for doing that up at

http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/09/information-security-and-digital-rights.html

So if it's mostly a matter of not losing access to an Amazon library, then this is a really nice device even without the Amazon app. 

You can keep the tablet off wifi most of the time and hope for the best, but how much fun is a tablet if you have to leave wifi off?   I don't think we know yet if the updates for this are downloaded a bit at a time between sessions, or if the whole file needs to come in during a single download session for your tablet to update.

This is why I'm thinking that wifi off is "hoping for the best" - if the update is coming in incrementally, leaving wifi off will fail one day. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Wordsmith
moose_tracker

From the sounds of it, if the OP waits a little longer, he could also do this another way alot easier. But, I don't see the post on it anymore, so I think it may have been removed "for giving us info that is harmful to us":smileyhappy:..  So I don't know if I can mention it.. But, it is allowing the NT to be rooted as easily as the NC was.

Contributor
sk8fan

Most of what I wanted the Tablet for is reading magazines & checking out library books, so although I love the idea of adding a few extra game favorites (Farkle, etc) & apps, I wouldn't be devastated to lose the ability to do so.  I did a lot of research between a standard Android tablet & the Nook & feel comfortable with my decision even if it's locked down.  Thank you so much for the link about converting Kindle book files - that's awesome.  That makes it a lot easier than worrying about running the app.

Ideally a N2A dual boot microSD card would be fantastic.  I'm hoping that might be what was hinted at in the last post. :smileywink:

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

moose writes:  "it is allowing the NT to be rooted as easily as the NC was"

There are a lot of assumptions there.  Most importantly, the OP wrote "I don't want to root."  

Even if rooting the NT becomes similar in difficulty to rooting the NC, there are going to be a lot of folks here who just don't want to, as there are many NC owners who just don't want to.

If by rooting folks are thinking about booting from an SD card a la n2a:  if Dean's appraisal of the boot cards is correct, that they do require a change in the stock boot files to work, then booting from an SD card, even once, may make your NT very difficult to restore to stock.  

For many who don't want 1.4.1 that's probably a good thing -- if the NC tries to install an update when its boot environment  has been changed, the update fails to install.  

But for those who would want to boot from an SD card but also expect the stock NOOK os to receive system updates, if restoring to stock really is hard (if the boot files on internal memory are not accessible even once the main boot process has been handed off  to an SD card, for instance) booting from an SD card is going to be a very disappointing choice to have made.  

I am not saying that these things will happen, but that they are still unknowns, and my advice to folks who don't want to get pretty geeky but do want other appstores continues to be that this is probably the wrong the device.  

I'm actually surprised to see that some of the folks who were most articulate about 1.4.0 -> 1.4.1 as a change they didn't like are now relatively sanguine about recommending the device.  

I'm glad that converting the files on the computer via Calibre is a solution for the OP, though - as long as that is really what you need, I agree that this is a fun device and a pretty good reader, with options for it to be a great reader.   

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.