Contributor
BookBot
0 Kudos

1.4.1 - Current Book icon broken for side-loaded books

The book icon on the bottom black bar provides a way for you to return to your most recent location in the book your reading - but with 1.4.1 "update" this no longer works for sideloaded books.

For example, it you stop reading a side-loaded book to check your email, and you touch the book icon to return to your book, you'll see instead, the book cover, and you'll also find all your bookmarks are missing!

You then have to either go back to your library shelves, or wherever your book is and open it from there. When you do, your last reading position is restored, and your bookmarks are again available.

It seems that BN is intent on breaking any feature that involves materials you have loaded outside the B&N repository.

I'm curious how this got missed in beta testing, as it is nearly as egregious an omission as deleting the soft "N" on the bottom bar.

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

Re: 1.4.1 - Current Book icon broken for side-loaded books

[ Edited ]

BookBot,

I see that you are new to this forum, so I will try to politely offer a word of advice.  As a new user, it is sometimes advisable to first ask if anyone else is experiencing the problem before accusing B&N of intentionally and maliciously waging a campaign against its customers.  Such attacks in your first post will invite accusations  that your are not a regular user but rather from a competitor seeking to sow bad information.  I am not saying that you are, it is just that we have had numerous occurrences in the past.

Secondly, I am having none of the troubles you describe, either with sideloaded library books (which B&N should hate) nor with sideloaded books from other websites.  The return to book icon works perfectly for me, returning me to the active page as well as keeping my bookmarks.  Also, the current book  and any other recently opened book is on the home page so i don't have to go back to the shelves to find it even if I switch books.

Have you checked to see if you have 1.4.1 loaded?  have you pm'd Alex to see if you are unique in this situation?

Good luck resolving your issue and please keep us informed as to how the problem was solved.

Jeremy

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

JinSC wrote:

BookBot,

I see that you are new to this forum, so I will try to politely offer a word of advice.  As a new user, it is sometimes advisable to first ask if anyone else is experiencing the problem before accusing B&N of intentionally and maliciously waging a campaign against its customers.  Such attacks in your first post will invite accusations  that your are not a regular user but rather from a competitor seeking to sow bad information.  I am not saying that you are, it is just that we have had numerous occurrences in the past.

Secondly, I am having none of the troubles you describe, either with sideloaded library books (which B&N should hate) nor with sideloaded books from other websites.  The return to book icon works perfectly for me, returning me to the active page as well as keeping my bookmarks.  Also, the current book  and any other recently opened book is on the home page so i don't have to go back to the shelves to find it even if I switch books.

Have you checked to see if you have 1.4.1 loaded?  have you pm'd Alex to see if you are unique in this situation?

Good luck resolving your issue and please keep us informed as to how the problem was solved.

Jeremy

Ditto, same here no problems with sideloaded books. :smileyhappy:

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Contributor
BookBot

[ Edited ]

I am hardly new to this forum, despite the post count. The fact that someone would point out a problem with the software is hardly an attack. If you are the software developer for this "update" then fess up, and be proactive in determining the source for what I've reported. Your statement that BN should "hate" sideloaded books is indicative of your outlook. I find your remark "Have you checked to see if you have 1.4.1 loaded?" a bit condescending. Had you fully read my post you would have recogized that I was running the latest version. Maybe you could use a polite word of advice on posting. Take heed lest you fall, friend.

BTW, there's no need to PM a problem unless you desire to keep it under wraps, which would be counterproductive for most users. What a better way to elicit feedback than pose it in the open where others, like yourself, can respond.

FWIW, I thoroughly checked the various scenarios and observed the problem reported here with all side-loaded books I have on board presently. So you aren't experiencing this... OK, that's one datapoint. Reading through all the upgrade-related posts suggests that others are experiecing difficulties w/1.4.1. That's what community is about... knowing, sharing, helping. Have a wonderful day!

Contributor
BookBot
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@geatdanemomDT

What NC version do you have... blue dot?

Are your sideloaded books on main memory or SD card?

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

BookBot wrote:

It seems that BN is intent on breaking any feature that involves materials you have loaded outside the B&N repository.

I'm curious how this got missed in beta testing, as it is nearly as egregious an omission as deleting the soft "N" on the bottom bar.

Reporting  problem I do not consider and attack.  However the above quote goes beyond reporting a problem and tends toward an attack as it asserts something for which there is only one source of evidence.  As you yourself point out, many others have not been hesitant to point out other problems, it seems this one is unique.

As to being a devleoper, if you frequent this forum as you claim you will see that just a few threads down I am complaining myself about the "fixes" that were unneccessary.

As to asking about confirming your software edition, it is not out of the realm of possibility to download a corrupted file, as happened to several already.

Sorry to offend.

Jeremy

Contributor
BookBot
0 Kudos

Fine. I'm at the point needing to reset/reregister this device. Another problem I am now experienceing... if I read a book on my home page and add a new bookmark, and then I go to 'my files" and open that same book from there, it opens to the front cover and tells me that the book exists on another device and it offers to sync that page location. When I let it do so, it goes to the page I just had open moments ago on the NC. So this is all quite a mess. Hopefully a hardware reset will bear good fruit.

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

BookBot wrote:

@geatdanemomDT

What NC version do you have... blue dot?

Are your sideloaded books on main memory or SD card?

I have the original partitioning and sideloaded both in main memory and on SD card.

1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

I certainly understand your frustration when your NOOK is "broken!"

I, personally, hate the reregistering the device option and always save that as a LAST resort.  I have not experienced your problem; instead, I had the "user not activated" problem and could not open any of my sideloaded books although they remained both in my library and on the correct shelves.

I deleted the ADE and DE folders (per instructions in another thread), reactivated my NC through ADE and reloaded my favorite books-- 63 of them.  Miraculously, all my non-B&N, sideloaded books seemed to show up with all their bookmarks--that's weird!

I would probably try dealing with just the sideloaded titles first.  (If you deregister the NC, won't you have to reload the sideloaded titles, too?)

Hope you get this solved soon.

Contributor
tricespencer
0 Kudos

Actually I had this problem before the update.  It is very annoying.

Trice

Contributor
BookBot
0 Kudos

I reset the NC and bookmarking and last page recall appear to be working together from all the ways I can open a book. Unfortunately the reset lost all notes and highlight history. It would be great to be able to back these up independently to PC for both BN and side-loaded books. Now on to restore my email accounts...

Contributor
jaylady
0 Kudos

I am trying to find the correct discussion thread, not sure if this is it...

My family all downloaded  version 1.4.1 on our NC's. My mom just tried to open a sideloaded book. She was prompted for the name/cc information, but when we entered it, the NC rejected it. I checked, we entered the correct information, tried 2 or 3 times.

Does this mean that version 1.4.1 has code to prevent sideloaded books from opening? Any ideas?

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

Side-loaded books have to be loaded in different ways from different sources. If it DRM protected it needs to be loaded through ADE.

If it is a B&N book that you are trying to share it might have down-loaded to your computer with an extra . period that needs to be removed from the file name first. The easiest way to share B&N books between family members and not be bothered with checking the file name is to down-load Nook for PC and side-load to your nooks from there.

1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A