Reader 2
chips88

Re: 2 GB NOOK SIMPLE TOUCH ONLY HAS 240MB OF MEMORY

My biggest issue with the decision to control the content is the fact that limiting space is a 'feature' of the Simple Touch, and was not part of the original Nook.

I am a very proud owner of the N1, and had no reason to assume that B&N would limit the use of space on an N2, which I am simply an owner of. Apple has never done that with iPods, Amazon doesnt do it, and even B&N didnt do it with the first Nook.

Saying that assuming this wouldnt be the case is simply naive is just plain wrong. Yes, B&N have the right to make money, which is why they sell Nooks. They do not have the right to limit the use of their product. A more apt analogy would be a real estate developer allowing you to buy land, but only allowing you to build on that land with lumber purchased from him. Obviously this practice would be considered ridiculous and be rejected as anti-competitive. It is the opposite of capitalism and a free market, and B&N should be ashamed.If they want to sell books to me they should compete in the marketplace, not hold data space hostage. The fact that I can purchase an SD card, regardless of the price, is not the point at all.

Even moreso, its customers should be outraged.But clearly many of you love being pawns.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

chips88 wrote:

My biggest issue with the decision to control the content is the fact that limiting space is a 'feature' of the Simple Touch, and was not part of the original Nook.

I am a very proud owner of the N1, and had no reason to assume that B&N would limit the use of space on an N2, which I am simply an owner of. Apple has never done that with iPods, Amazon doesnt do it, and even B&N didnt do it with the first Nook.

B&N did do it with the N1E. It's just less obvious because they reserve a smaller proportion of the internal storage.

Saying that assuming this wouldn't be the case is simply naive is just plain wrong. Yes, B&N have the right to make money, which is why they sell Nooks. They do not have the right to limit the use of their product. A more apt analogy would be a real estate developer allowing you to buy land, but only allowing you to build on that land with lumber purchased from him. Obviously this practice would be considered ridiculous and be rejected as anti-competitive.

or a computer maker selling you a phone/mp3 player/tablet computer and only allowing you to buy apps from their app store.

It is the opposite of capitalism and a free market, and B&N should be ashamed.If they want to sell books to me they should compete in the marketplace, not hold data space hostage. The fact that I can purchase an SD card, regardless of the price, is not the point at all.

Even moreso, its customers should be outraged.But clearly many of you love being pawns.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

chips88 wrote:

Saying that assuming this wouldnt be the case is simply naive is just plain wrong. 

It was written pretty plainly in the sales literature.  I don't know how anyone could read that and assume that it would be any other way; once a company says they may do something the customer won't like, it's safe to  assume they are going to.  The worst thing that can happen is being pleasantly surprised when wrong.  :smileywink:  It's fair to not like it.  It's not fair to imply you couldn't have presumed it.

Perhaps B&N should have just reserved all on-board storage for their own content, advertised it as such - "NOOK with 1GB of storage for B&N purchases and up to 32GB expandable for content from other retailesrs" and been done with it.

The inability to access/copy from that partition seems far more troubling.  I wouldn't find this troubling if all B&N content could be downloaded to computer (either directly or through the NOOK apps) for archival purposes and they gave an indication of how full the reserved storage was.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

B&N did do it with the N1E. It's just less obvious because they reserve a smaller proportion of the internal storage.

----
Did they?  The download folder on the N1E is on the same partition as the sideloaded content, which makes me think that I could just load the whole thing up with sideloaded stuff.  I don't see how they could have reserved space just for the B&N stuff in this structure.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

LarryOnLI wrote:

----
Did they?  The download folder on the N1E is on the same partition as the sideloaded content, which makes me think that I could just load the whole thing up with sideloaded stuff.  I don't see how they could have reserved space just for the B&N stuff in this structure.

They reserved partition on the N1E is for the O/S and application.

It just looks like they moved the B&N library into the reserved O/S partition. Of course this is just supposition on my part, but that's how I would have done it.

On the N1E B&N content con ONLY be loaded on the internal storage card. People who loaded up the card with music, and or photos ran into problems with not being able to download B&N purchases.

I assume (and yes I know what that means) that the move of the B&N library into the protected partition is to prevent this happening on the N2E.

Of course the best solution would have been to allow any content to be stored on any partition, but they didn't do that.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

chips88 wrote:

Saying that assuming this wouldnt be the case is simply naive is just plain wrong. Yes, B&N have the right to make money, which is why they sell Nooks. They do not have the right to limit the use of their product. A more apt analogy would be a real estate developer allowing you to buy land, but only allowing you to build on that land with lumber purchased from him. Obviously this practice would be considered ridiculous and be rejected as anti-competitive. It is the opposite of capitalism and a free market, and B&N should be ashamed.If they want to sell books to me they should compete in the marketplace, not hold data space hostage. The fact that I can purchase an SD card, regardless of the price, is not the point at all.

B&N has the right to do anything they want with a product they sell.  The market will tell them if it is a problem or not.  If you don't like the N2E then return it.  I'm sure you'll well within your 2 week return period.  They never said you would have an unlimited amount of space for non-B&N books.  If they had said that then you would have a valid argument.

I purchased a 2GB Micro SD card for ~$4 including shipping.  Problem solved and CERTAINLY NOT WORTH GETTING UPSET ABOUT...

►Without order there is chaos◄
Frequent Contributor
Jadescythe
0 Kudos

I noticed a lot people were annoyed with the fact that the files are hidden on the NE2 so they couldn't create a backup - why not just go to your Nook Library and download the files from there? 

Reader 2
chips88

AlanNJ wrote:
B&N has the right to do anything they want with a product they sell.

No, they don't, as Microsoft found out. IT is a violation of the Sherman Anti-Trust Act to engage in practices that deliberately reduce competition. This is indeed what they are doing. Although I am aware that there is a ton of gray area there.

I also disagree with the previous poster who said the sales literature plainly stated this information. It was asterisked/fine print stuff. And we have already discussed the may vs will aspect of the language. Additionally, this is brand new approach that to my knowledge is only done with the Nook Color and the Nook Touch. No other products on the market limit data space.

For the record, I still like the Nook Touch and plan on keeping it. I will probably just put 120 books or so on it at a time until I get an SD card (certainly not the 1000 that is the number they advertise). I will not purchase any more books from B&N, however.

It is most surprising to me how passive most of you are to this, and even how some of you have actually embraced this decision. Oh well.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

chips88 wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

No, they don't, as Microsoft found out. IT is a violation of the Sherman Anti-Trust Act to engage in practices that deliberately reduce competition. This is indeed what they are doing. Although I am aware that there is a ton of gray area there.

I also disagree with the previous poster who said the sales literature plainly stated this information. It was asterisked/fine print stuff. And we have already discussed the may vs will aspect of the language. Additionally, this is brand new approach that to my knowledge is only done with the Nook Color and the Nook Touch. No other products on the market limit data space.

For the record, I still like the Nook Touch and plan on keeping it. I will probably just put 120 books or so on it at a time until I get an SD card (certainly not the 1000 that is the number they advertise). I will not purchase any more books from B&N, however.

It is most surprising to me how passive most of you are to this, and even how some of you have actually embraced this decision. Oh well.

This is similar to razors.  Razors are sold very inexpensively because the companies know you will have to buy the blade which are extremely expensive.  All blades to not fit all razors.

In this case, my assumption is that B&N is not making very much profit on the Nook device itself.  B&N is making their money on the e-books.  What profit does B&N make on non-B&N books.  Zero.  I certainly can't condemn a company for making money in a capitalist society.  As I said previously this MAJOR issue was solved with an additional $4 investment on my part.  That's less than the tax I paid for the N2E.  Sheesh!  

►Without order there is chaos◄
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Jadescythe wrote:

I noticed a lot people were annoyed with the fact that the files are hidden on the NE2 so they couldn't create a backup - why not just go to your Nook Library and download the files from there? 

Because not all B&N content will download that way; there is no way to get some of it onto your computer to backup other than transfering it directly from the device.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

Jadescythe wrote:

Because not all B&N content will download that way; there is no way to get some of it onto your computer to backup other than transfering it directly from the device.

@Nallia,

What content can not be downloaded directly? I'm not doubting you, I've just never seen it.

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

Auto makers do the same thing with the spacing of the bolt patterns on their wheels.

I wonder what percentage of Nook owners actually have 1000 or more ebooks to put on their device.  I've been buying ebooks regularly for about 14 years and am nowhere that number.

I do agree that the BN congent on the Nook should be available to the user. 

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

Nallia wrote:

Jadescythe wrote:

@Nallia,

What content can not be downloaded directly? I'm not doubting you, I've just never seen it.

Not Nalia, but...

There are some things for the nook color. The kids read to me books, I think. And apps. Not sure what else. For the N2E (and N1E, too), there are some magazines that won't download to your computer. The only one I know of for sure is The New Yorker, because I had a subscription to that. The other magazines I have issues of download fine, so I'm not sure how many e-ink magazines are effected by this. Anything that can't be read using the PC (or Mac, i assume) software can't be downloaded to your computer. Not even using the download button on the website. In those cases you have to plug in your nook and copy directly from the device to make a backup copy. Obviously, this wouldn't work if you can;t see the files on the device.

Scribe
frantastk

cbtengr wrote:

Auto makers do the same thing with the spacing of the bolt patterns on their wheels.

I wonder what percentage of Nook owners actually have 1000 or more ebooks to put on their device.  I've been buying ebooks regularly for about 14 years and am nowhere that number.

I don't know. I've been collecting e-books since last June and I have around 500. They aren't all on my nook, but after I read a book I like to keep it on the device in case I want to go back to something in it. I also keep anything on the device I think I may want to read next and usually have about 4-5 books going at a time. I think I have about 200 books on the device now. I can see someone having thousands of books if they've been reading and buying e-books for years. I certainly have bought thousands of dtbs over the years.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

frantastk wrote:

LarryOnLI wrote:

Nallia wrote:

Jadescythe wrote:

@Nallia,

Not Nalia, but...

There are some things for the nook color. The kids read to me books, I think. And apps. Not sure what else. For the N2E (and N1E, too), there are some magazines that won't download to your computer. The only one I know of for sure is The New Yorker, because I had a subscription to that. The other magazines I have issues of download fine, so I'm not sure how many e-ink magazines are effected by this. Anything that can't be read using the PC (or Mac, i assume) software can't be downloaded to your computer. Not even using the download button on the website. In those cases you have to plug in your nook and copy directly from the device to make a backup copy. Obviously, this wouldn't work if you can;t see the files on the device.

I haven't done any recent comparisons, but it used to be that occasionally the files that downloaded to the computer and the files that downloaded to the nook were different, as if B&N was customizing some files for different devices/applications.

Also, if you have a mac, the files that download to the computer are .pdb files, which don't work with the N2E.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

Also, if you have a mac, the files that download to the computer are .pdb files, which don't work with the N2E.

The files that come in on NOOK for Mac and NOOKStudy for Mac are .epubs now.  Direct downloads are still .pdb.  (Some have issues with NOOK/NOOKStudy because they won't run on older versions of OSX, though.)

I think this is the main issue that should be fixed - all content sold by B&N should be downloadable by consumers to their home computers.  I don't care if we have to install software or not in order to do that, but I should be able to download all of my content bought from B&N to my computer, whether or not I can read it on my computer.

I don't think it's unfair for B&N to assume that all users are using the latest software on whatever computer hardware they have - ie NOOK only runing on latest OSX or on Windows 7 - but some do.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI

Ya_Ya wrote:

keriflur wrote:

The files that come in on NOOK for Mac and NOOKStudy for Mac are .epubs now.  Direct downloads are still .pdb.  (Some have issues with NOOK/NOOKStudy because they won't run on older versions of OSX, though.)

I think this is the main issue that should be fixed - all content sold by B&N should be downloadable by consumers to their home computers.  I don't care if we have to install software or not in order to do that, but I should be able to download all of my content bought from B&N to my computer, whether or not I can read it on my computer.

I don't think it's unfair for B&N to assume that all users are using the latest software on whatever computer hardware they have - ie NOOK only runing on latest OSX or on Windows 7 - but some do.

I agree, all purchased content should be downloadable to any internet connected device, whether it is actually usable on that device or not.

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

chips88 wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

Since you can put as many third-party books as you want on a card, I don't think this argument would hold up in court, though I agree that B&N should have explained this more clearly.

Frequent Contributor
romsfuulynn

cbtengr wrote:

Raises hand.

455 owned items and 105 archived items from Barnes & Noble

989 owned items from fictionwise.com.

589 owned items from ereader.com

316 owned items from Baen (webscriptions.net)

plus an assortment of stuff from places like booksonboard, ellora's cave, samhain, bookviewcafe, smashwords, etc.

(The 455 owned items from BN includes about 70 preordered books.)

It is of course possible that I also might have books from other sources not appropriate for discussion here.

Frequent Contributor
Jadescythe
0 Kudos

In regards to downloading from the Nook Library - I have yet to find anything I can't download directly to my computer - but I don't have a lot of magazine subscriptions or a Nook Color.

Also I have a Mac and when i download a file - it downloads in the epub format - not sure why someone stated mac only downloads in pdb format when it doesn't.  - just my two cents :smileyhappy: