Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Re: 2 GB NOOK SIMPLE TOUCH ONLY HAS 240MB OF MEMORY

SirLoyne wrote:
"Formatting DOES take up space. Formatted capacity of a disk drive is less than raw physical capacity. Depending on the type of file system it can be much less."

The formatted capacity is less because it's show as a binary value.

1024 bytes x 1024 kilobytes x 1024 megabytes = 1 gigabyte. If you take a base 10 gigabyte and break it down as your OS sees it this is what you get. 1,000,000,000 bytes ÷ 1024 = 976562.5 Kilobytes ÷ 1024 = 953.67 Megabytes ÷ 1024 = .9313 Gigabytes. The raw physical capacity is shown in base 10 math. 1000 x 1000 x 1000. There are not 1,000,000,000 bytes to a GB to your OS, there are 1,073,741,824.

See here.  Disc Capacity 101

"A formatted disk with file system reserves space for the volume table of contents, directory structure, journal (if a journaled file system), spare blocks, etc."

This amount is trivial.

I am well aware of the difference between base 2 and base 10 with regards to disk capacity.

As far as the level 100 course in disk capacity, I'm working at the graduate level now and don't need to review the simplified version.

When you are ready for the advanced course in disk technology I'll be happy to teach you however.

Inspired Contributor
SirLoyne

"I am well aware of the difference between base 2 and base 10 with regards to disk capacity.

As far as the level 100 course in disk capacity, I'm working at the graduate level now and don't need to review the simplified version.

When you are ready for the advanced course in disk technology I'll be happy to teach you however."

If a single word of this was true, then you would know the difference between formatted capacity and raw physical capacity and why 80,000,000,000 bytes magically becomes 74.5GB.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

SirLoyne wrote:
"I am well aware of the difference between base 2 and base 10 with regards to disk capacity.

When you are ready for the advanced course in disk technology I'll be happy to teach you however."

If a single word of this was true, then you would know the difference between formatted capacity and raw physical capacity and why 80,000,000,000 bytes magically becomes 74.5GB.

Both raw and formatted capacity are measured in the same way.

Whether you are comparing it in base 2 or base 10, you use the same value for both.

THe fact that disk manufactures use 1,000 bytes as 1 KB and not 1,024 has nothing to do with why formatted capacity is less than raw.

However it is obvious I will not convince you so I will concede the point now.

I'll also be sure to resign my job since I am obviously not qualified for it as well.

Inspired Contributor
SirLoyne

"However it is obvious I will not convince you so I will concede the point now."

You’ve made absolutely no attempt to convince me of anything, (other than tell me how smart you are that is)... so please, with sugar on top, teach me o’ learned one. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

SirLoyne wrote:
"However it is obvious I will not convince you so I will concede the point now."

You’ve made absolutely no attempt to convince me of anything, (other than tell me how smart you are that is)... so please, with sugar on top, teach me o’ learned one. 

I'm thinking this thread has gotten a bit off-topic...

Inspired Contributor
nancybout
0 Kudos

I'm also goi g to side load memory cards are cheap And so nit worth the aggravation!! I also love how unlike the nook.. The nook simple Touch integrates it all in same page:smileyhappy:
New User
Gadvac
0 Kudos

FrogAlum wrote:

This is not a problem for me at all...  Those of us that were early adopters of the N1E found out in a hurry that you are much better off putting all your sideloaded material on a card, that way when the various updates come out or you have to restore to factory defaults you don't loose everything you already sideloaded.

Duly noted.

Contributor
Arcoth
0 Kudos

Along the lines of the "its worth putting all your side loaded on a separate card" ... if you want to update the OS (e.g. Today's upgrade) by hand, you need about 140 free MB on the Nook itself. Better to simply keep that 250 MB free for things like that and spring for the $2-5 for a 4GB memory card. 

roustabout
0 Kudos

I will let folks know what I think of the update on my custom partitioned device when I get a chance to try it out.

I figured out how to resize /data and /media so that the BN-verse (/data) occupies about 200 meg and I have about 1G for sideloaded content.

I also symlinked a BN tree on the /media partition to the correct directory in /data so that my BN downloads are visible to and manageable by me when the device is on the computer. I will probably need to reestablish the symlinks after I update.

For anyone who has not updated yet, I would recommend that you look into getting a copy of the Noogie boot disk, boot from that, and use it to make a full disk image of the partitions on your ST for rapid rollback if you hate the update for whatever reason.   

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Reader
SGDALLAS

I have read all the replies about the amount that is reserved for Barnes and Noble content.  That is understandable.......EXCEPT....my simple touch is out of space as well ( just at 240MB ) and I HAVE NO CONTENT THAT WAS NOT PURCHASED FROM BARNES AND NOBLE  !!! 

So....is there space on this thing or not.  If they wanted to just make 240 MB available then they should have said so.  It is certainly not that I can't afford an SD card.  The point is that I should NOT have to BUY ONE YET !!!! 

keriflur
0 Kudos

SGDALLAS wrote:

I have read all the replies about the amount that is reserved for Barnes and Noble content.  That is understandable.......EXCEPT....my simple touch is out of space as well ( just at 240MB ) and I HAVE NO CONTENT THAT WAS NOT PURCHASED FROM BARNES AND NOBLE  !!! 

So....is there space on this thing or not.  If they wanted to just make 240 MB available then they should have said so.  It is certainly not that I can't afford an SD card.  The point is that I should NOT have to BUY ONE YET !!!! 

If you are seeing the out-of-space message on your nook that means that you've used the 750mb on the internal storage.  So that means you've probably got hundreds of books on your nook.  If you don't have hundreds of books on there, you might want to take it in to a store and have them take a look.

If you've got 400+books on there, you probably should archive and sideload those books to an SD card anyway, just because if you get a software update or have a problem with the nook and have to do a reset you'll have to re-download all of those books, but if they're on an SD card you won't.

RHWright
0 Kudos

SGDALLAS wrote:

Affordability shouldn't even be a factor. Cards with perfectly adequate specs for use in the N2E are available for $10 or less. As to having to buy one, the internal partition is capable of holding hundreds of books. Since its internal memory will always (barring a technological miracle) be finite, the only thing dictating whether you need an expansion card or not is your own library management.

Simply put: keep more titles archived.

Contributor
Treestryder

I'm with you on this.

It seems, we do not buy our eBooks from Barnes and Noble, we lease them for the life of our eReader (or B&N, which ever lasts the longest).

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

Treestryder wrote:

I'm with you on this.

It seems, we do not buy our eBooks from Barnes and Noble, we lease them for the life of our eReader (or B&N, which ever lasts the longest).

Not true.  If for some reason B&N goes out of business you still have your e-books.  Just keep a backup copy somewhere.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Contributor
Treestryder

Right, which is why I said which ever lasts the longest.

The point being, unless you are willing to break the law, you have to use B&N's software or device.

(Not sure what I am doing, after reading all 8 pages of this thread, I should know better than to try and clarify my statement.)

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Treestryder wrote:

Right, which is why I said which ever lasts the longest.

The point being, unless you are willing to break the law, you have to use B&N's software or device.

(Not sure what I am doing, after reading all 8 pages of this thread, I should know better than to try and clarify my statement.)

B&N has licensed its DRM to Adobe. The latest version of Adobe's software includes support for the B&N DRM. There are already several software ePub readers available that support the B&N DRM. And the next version of Adobe Digital Editions will also support the B&N DRM (a limited version is already available with this support).

Ereaders like the new Sony and Kobo could support the B&N DRM, but this has not been enabled for now. Hopefully future ereaders will enable this support.

keriflur
0 Kudos

geertm wrote:
B&N has licensed its DRM to Adobe. The latest version of Adobe's software includes support for the B&N DRM. There are already several software ePub readers available that support the B&N DRM. And the next version of Adobe Digital Editions will also support the B&N DRM (a limited version is already available with this support).

Ereaders like the new Sony and Kobo could support the B&N DRM, but this has not been enabled for now. Hopefully future ereaders will enable this support.

I hadn't heard there were epub readers that supported the B&N DRM.  Which ones are they?

Thx.  :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
geertm

[ Edited ]

keriflur wrote:

geertm wrote:

I hadn't heard there were epub readers that supported the B&N DRM.  Which ones are they?

Thx.  :smileyhappy:

Several Android ePub readers support the B&N DRM: Mantano Reader, Aldiko Book Reader and Bluefire reader.

Adobe Digital Editions can also be used to read ePub books. A limited copy of the new version that will support the B&N DRM is already available.

Contributor
doc51248
0 Kudos

the reason they wont lose the ereader race is that the Kindle is even more restrictive.

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

doc51248 wrote:

the reason they wont lose the ereader race is that the Kindle is even more restrictive.

Most people don't really care (see Apple.)