Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Re: 2 GB NOOK SIMPLE TOUCH ONLY HAS 240MB OF MEMORY

A note on the viability of the setup with the BN library living on the sdcard:  I just doublechecked, and see that - on the grounds I should eat my own cooking, especially in light of Dean Gibsn's cautions on this modification - I've been running with this modification essentially since I wrote it up in early May. 

I haven't head any problems that are specific to this, and I remain quite happy with the result, so much so that I had to doublecheck to be sure it was still in use. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
New User
DACC
0 Kudos

I discovered this thread after buying my nook Simple Touch (I already have a Gen 1 Nook) and was really surprised at the "phan boyz" approach of some of the responses.

I expected 2GB (after some overhead) for books, but to only have 250MB for sideloading books is a disgrace. Restricting your customers this way shows a complete lack of respect and is very short sighted. I know that B&N are in it for the money. But I am a customer and expect to have some flexibility in the product I buy. B&N surely know that their customers can (and I will now) jailbreak their device to get around this artificial and purely commercial limit.

I now expect to be flamed for my anti B&N views, but I've worked in IT for over 20yrs so please don't try and say I have to compare to a PC loading it's OS. This is the view 15yrs back, but not now.

Come on B&N, treat your customers fairly and remove this artifical limit. If you want to get your customers to buy from you. Price your books accordingly and don't put us into a walled garden!

DACC

keriflur

DACC wrote:

I discovered this thread after buying my nook Simple Touch (I already have a Gen 1 Nook) and was really surprised at the "phan boyz" approach of some of the responses.

I expected 2GB (after some overhead) for books, but to only have 250MB for sideloading books is a disgrace. Restricting your customers this way shows a complete lack of respect and is very short sighted. I know that B&N are in it for the money. But I am a customer and expect to have some flexibility in the product I buy. B&N surely know that their customers can (and I will now) jailbreak their device to get around this artificial and purely commercial limit.

I now expect to be flamed for my anti B&N views, but I've worked in IT for over 20yrs so please don't try and say I have to compare to a PC loading it's OS. This is the view 15yrs back, but not now.

Come on B&N, treat your customers fairly and remove this artifical limit. If you want to get your customers to buy from you. Price your books accordingly and don't put us into a walled garden!

DACC

Two things -

First off, the specs are very clear on how much storage you have for what, and how the nook works in this respect.  So, if you didn't do your research before you bought the device, that's on you, not B&N.

Second, I (and most others, as far as I can tell) agree with you that siloing the books is a bad idea.  The real problem isn't that you only have a small amount of space for sideloading, it's that you can't use that space for downloads if you have a large library.  The sideloading problem is an easy fix - spend $5 (or less) on a micro-SD card and load thousands of books on it.  Much easier than rooting (android devices are rooted, apple devices are jailbroken).  But the other problem - having a library that's larger than the storage space - that's a much bigger issue.  Regardless, because the storage areas are on separate partitions, the only way to change this is via repartitioning, and the storage space is so small to begin with I'm not sure it's worth the effort IMO.  An SD card is going to be a much simpler solution to your problem.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

DACC wrote:

DACC

You've got a few of things going on here.

1) The Nook is partitioned into B&N downloaded content and sideloaded content.  The sideloaded content is limited to 250MB.  This is clearly stated in the specs ("1GB for content; 750 MB reserved for B&N content"), if you didn't check into what you were buying beforehand that's your fault. If you need more than the 250MB for sideloading, there is a really cheap and easy fix - buy a microSD card and you can have up to 16X the amount of memory than comes with the device.

2) If you want to root your device, feel free to.  There are other people who aren't savvy enough to do that or who simply don't want to spend the time to do it and who purchase a device that meets their needs to begin with.  Or, they can go the easy way and buy a microSD card.

3) The NST is B&N's low end eReader.  It's not meant to be fancy or offer a bunch of options in and of itself.  The fact that there are cheap and easy work arounds for the memory issue as well as options to buy other devices with the specs you want I think is a plus for B&N.

4) The walled garden is an issue more tied into the publisher's demand for DRM than anything else.  The fact that B&N has made their walls pretty low is another plus for them.

5) The price of the eBooks is not always something they can control.  There are still publishers out there that are setting the prices for their books.  B&N might not always have the best price, and are pretty slow at dropping their prices to match other vendors, but their prices are usually competitive.  And, when they're not competitive, you can still buy from other vendors and load them onto your Nook device.

Really, considering the flexibility that B&N has allowed, I think they are treating us pretty fairly.  Sure, things could improve (customer sevice seems to be lacking at times and they don't communicate very well sometimes), but overall I think their products are good and they treat their customers well.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
roustabout
0 Kudos

Also, the discussion just before DACC' post included a mention of my technique for relocating the library to the sdcard, which actually does work.

It's a simple mod, doesn't involve rooting the device, and solves both the storage limit and the invisibilty of the BN library. 

Is it supported by BN?  No, it's not.  Has BN felt the need to remove it from discussion, or ask me to stop making it available?  Nope.  Would I hope that folks read the thread they're posting into, on a reading-oriented forum? 

Of course not.

OK, I'm lying.  Yes, it'd be nice if folks realized there was a possible fix. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
The_Dark_Clown

i couldn't upgrade my operating system due to the lack of available memory (subject of another post), but I knew that eventually (and maybe fairly soon) I was going to run out of memory to keep my sideloaded books as I download a lot from Gutenberg, Baen, and others.  I went to Costco today and for 17 bucks I got a 32GB MicroSDHC card which will last me pretty much forever (rough estimate 75,000 books although my math may be off a bit.  I figure that should keep me going for a while.

Contributor
that22
0 Kudos

hey im looking for someone who reads a lot i do but i have no freinds who read i buy lots of books and will like to lend n borrow i wanted to ask also i my nook color was in my car when it was crashed and im wondering what nook i should get i dont wanna spend a lot is the simple touch good will it last thanks

Reader
JerryBundy
0 Kudos

This is probably one of the first things that buyers of the Nook will discover. I bought my Nook yesterday, and realised this problem within the first hour of getting to know my way around it. I see it as misleading, but not entirely surprising, and ultimately really not that much of a problem, since I intend rooting it anyway. Problem solved.
Reader
JerryBundy
0 Kudos

This is probably one of the first things that buyers of the Nook will discover. I bought my Nook yesterday, and realised this problem within the first hour of getting to know my way around it. I see it as misleading, but not entirely surprising, and ultimately really not that much of a problem. From the outset I intended to add a 32GB memory card to the Nook, and since I have no interest in buying any books from B&N, the dedicated storage are along with all the other marketing drivel will be removed from my Nook when I root it.

keriflur

LOL, you do know that the title of this thread is actually a falsehood, right?

Reader 2
KipIngram
0 Kudos

If you do go the trouble to root your device you can solve the whole problem by replacing the "/data/media/B&N Downloads" directory with a soft link to a *hidden* directory on your huge sdcard. It needs to be hidden because if it's not all of your books will show up in the library twice. This is very easy to do, and you don't have to do it "empty" - you can move your existing library to the sdcard and then softlink to it from the original location. If you want to try to optimize and use the existing space too you could go a level down and move just your books for instance, leaving your magazines and newspapers in original storage. I've tried this and it works - feel free to email me (kip.ingram@gmail.com) if you'd like further details. -- Kip
bobstro

[ Edited ]

Psst... read roustabout's posts up a few. He's apparently done it for some time without rooting.

Reader 2
KipIngram
0 Kudos

What's really baffling is that B&N didn't offer the option of moving your library to sdcard to start with. Once the device is rooted it's trivially easy, and for the developers it's always rooted - they work "inside the sanctum." And, after all, by allowing side loads to sdcard they already provided the ability to innundate the device with stuff from Gutenberg and so on. So why not give themselves that advantage too? I don't understand...
Reader 2
KipIngram
0 Kudos

Ah - neat. Although having to work with the Clockwork Recovery image is almost as drastic as rooting. But it's still nice to see things work multiple ways. I'm a Linux guy, so I preferred rooting and doing myself so I knew exactly what was going on. Thanks for the reference...
bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

KipIngram wrote:
What's really baffling is that B&N didn't offer the option of moving your library to sdcard to start with.

I suspect it's because they wanted to make pulling their DRM-encumbered content off the device as difficult as possible. As usual, this proved to be a trivial challenge to the technically adept. Sadly, I don't think that will slow this way of thinking.

Again, though, using Roustabout's method, you do not need to root the device to accomplish what you have described. (Of course, using CWM is booting as root, so you could make a argument, but let's not.)

Personally, I quit using B&N's reader on my NST, so don't see this problem.

Don't try to understand B&N's thinking. That way lies only tears and frustration.

Have you fired up something like SSHDroid on your NST? I still get a kick out of the idea that I can connect to my little handheld and have more power at hand than on the unix systems I started on. I should get a usenet feed going on it.

keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: 2 GB NOOK SIMPLE TOUCH ONLY HAS 2 GB OF MEMORY

bobstro wrote:

I suspect it's because they wanted to make pulling their DRM-encumbered content off the device as difficult as possible. As usual, this proved to be a trivial challenge to the technically adept. Sadly, I don't think that will slow this way of thinking.

Here's what *should* slow this way of thinking - it's easier to buy content elsewhere and sideload it than it is to manage a nook that reaches its content limit.

Reader 2
KipIngram
0 Kudos

Someone made the point earlier that there are publishers involved too, and I think that line of reasoning is basically sound. B&N is constrained - they have to get the publishers to agree to allow them to sell Nookable content. I'm sure the publishers have all sorts of requirements and limitations. It's worth noting that from the publisher's perspective the "Nook vs. Kindle vs. Sony etc." question is irrelevant - they will place the same requirements on all vendors. The fact that it is so easy to "beat" these limitations may very well indicate that B&N may very well *want* us to have these capabilities - though they would never admit that in public. Once they've checked their boxes with the publishers, then they should want the most competitive device they can field.
keriflur
0 Kudos

KipIngram wrote:
Someone made the point earlier that there are publishers involved too, and I think that line of reasoning is basically sound. B&N is constrained - they have to get the publishers to agree to allow them to sell Nookable content. I'm sure the publishers have all sorts of requirements and limitations. It's worth noting that from the publisher's perspective the "Nook vs. Kindle vs. Sony etc." question is irrelevant - they will place the same requirements on all vendors. The fact that it is so easy to "beat" these limitations may very well indicate that B&N may very well *want* us to have these capabilities - though they would never admit that in public. Once they've checked their boxes with the publishers, then they should want the most competitive device they can field.

It's not the publishers.  The first nook allowed reader access to the content, and since I can still use mine, obviously the publishers don't have a problem with the content being accessible that way.