New User
oolo
0 Kudos

3G Internet Access with any Nook at all?

Hey all:  I do not have a NOOK.  I have a Kindle paperwhite (please don't throw anything at me )  The Kindle has free 3G access wherever I go; howver, it will not run the app I need for my online school classes.  I have been told that Nook will run it ( the newer ones) but I have not found any listing free 3g or 4 g anywhere in their specs.  Is there actually one that has this access.  It is invaluable when out and about without a smart phone or such for accessing what you need on the go.

I sure would appreciate finding out on this

Thanks

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Re: 3G Internet Access with any Nook at all?

The original Nook First Edition (N1E) had a 3G option, but the number of people willing to pay extra for it was so small they didn't bother offering it in later models. 

I notice it's an extra $40 on the KPW ($60 compared to the KPW with ads).  I haven't seen any figures on how many people have gone for the option.  These days wifi is so prevasive that I would think most people wouldn't pay the extra money for it, but that's just my guess.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

oolo wrote:

Hey all:  I do not have a NOOK.  I have a Kindle paperwhite (please don't throw anything at me )  The Kindle has free 3G access wherever I go; howver, it will not run the app I need for my online school classes.  I have been told that Nook will run it ( the newer ones) but I have not found any listing free 3g or 4 g anywhere in their specs.  Is there actually one that has this access.  It is invaluable when out and about without a smart phone or such for accessing what you need on the go.

I sure would appreciate finding out on this

Thanks

Also, the 3g access on the first Nook was for shopping only, you couldn't go to the internet with the 3G.  I'd be surprised if anyone would off free 3g/4g for accessing the internet or running apps  I can't see any company subsidizing user's access to the internet.  The amount of data used to shop and purchase ebooks is minimal, but people could incur lots of data hours accessing the internet and running apps; I just don't see it happening.  There is a 3g/4g iPad, but the service isn't free, you have to sign up and pay for the access with a cellular company, it just has the hardware needed to do this.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

Unless you want the Nook Video store, you might want to wait until the Nexus 7 II is announced, its rumored to have a 4G option and a 1980x1200 resolution screen, and rumoured to be announced later this summer.

ownload the Nook app from the Google Play store and you'd be set.

keriflur

You could also just get a mifi device, or use a smartphone with hotspot capabilities (yes, you'd need to take it everywhere, but that's kind of the point of a smartphone anyhow).

roustabout

Is *that* what you call those internet thingabobs for your pants pocket that you can dial with your cheeks.

Just a few weeks ago the former Speaker of the House was wondering what to call them, over on that youtube thing.

Personally, I prefer referring to them as 'horseless telephones'. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

Even if the Paperwhite could run Android apps (it cannot), the 3G can only be used to access Wikpedia or Amazon.