Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: $99 Nook Simple Touch: No Power Adapter

AlanNJ wrote:

gstone wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

Cables are cables and are standard.

The N1E and N2E use standard USB Type A Male / Micro B Male. The cable provided with the NC looks the same but isn't wired the same.

Ok.  I take my comment back then.  I find it interesting that the cable LOOKS the same but isn't though... How could you tell the difference if it got mixed up with other USB cables?  I know the N1E and N2E use standard USB cables.  I've never seen Nook Color cables though.

Hi Alan, I now have  NookColor also and the cable is different.  It does look a little different.  The plug you insert into the Nook color is a little bit longer, not much, but a little bit. I use my N1E cable to attach my NC to my computer, but the cable that came with it to charge it, since it charges much faster.

But the N1E and NST are the same standard micro USB cable.  It's the same as my cell phone and something else I just got, but can't remember off the top of my head.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

1. The NC cable has a longer micro-USB end. 2. The NC cable will not willingly go into a standard micro-USB port. 3. The NC cable is thicker than the NST cable.
Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

gstone wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

gstone wrote:

The N1E and N2E use standard USB Type A Male / Micro B Male. The cable provided with the NC looks the same but isn't wired the same.

Ok.  I take my comment back then.  I find it interesting that the cable LOOKS the same but isn't though... How could you tell the difference if it got mixed up with other USB cables? 

The same way you tell the difference between a patch cable and crossover cable. You scratch your head then pick one. :smileytongue:

It's actually pretty easy to tell the difference between a patch and a crossover cable.  Just compare the way the colored wires look inside the RJ-45.  :smileywink:

►Without order there is chaos◄
AlanNJ
0 Kudos

So it sounds to me like the cables don't look exactly alike for the NC and the e-ink Nooks... That makes more sense...

Distinguished Correspondent
scotta316
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I think you've missed the point I was trying to make. It's irrelevant whether the wall charger and cord are identical to the ones from the N1E, or to any others that you might already have. The fact that they claim that they are different is what's important. Their insistence that these items are required for the NST should prompt them to be especially clear about the fact that the package doesn't include the required wall charger.

As to whether they are the same as the ones I already have for the N1E, one can't assume anything from appearances. Even though the label says it has the same specs, you don't know whether the circuitry has been enhanced. It may be a smarter charger, designed to extend the life of the battery. In any case, I don't want to risk losing my warranty coverage because I didn't use the equipment that the manual says I need to use.

If the cord is the same, I find it curious that the manual for the N1E says to make sure to replace the cord with a shielded one when necessary, but the manual for the NST say you must use that particular cord.

New User
sm82666

First, let me state that I work for B&N. I was at work today when a customer confronted me about the Simple Touch coming with an adapter. I was surprised at the question and quickly answered yes. Then doing some digging we at the store found out about this. Today. TODAY. I am very frustrated at how B&N treats its own employees. A memo? An email? ANYTHING.

We were never told about this change. I've been selling the Simple Touch telling people everything's in the box. It just makes us look bad as employees. We never even got a chance to try out the new Tablet before customers could purchase it.

So please don't think the employees know all. Sometimes we are never informed. :smileysad:

Contributor
Mysticalwaters1
0 Kudos

I didn't have time to read through this entire thread but wanted to put out there I had the opposite problem buying a refurbished nook. The site said it didn't come with an adapter and had a check box to add one as does not come with one so I bought one for $10. Then when I get my refurbished nook it had the usb cord AND an adapter. I was really ticked off. So I thought ok just return it you have 14 days the papers state but  HAVE TO PAY SHIPPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so mad as the nearest B&n is an hour away I'm NOT traveling that far just for this, so i complained to customer servicef at 1800thebook and I don't think the rep understood where I was comming from at all! He just assumed I was complaining it didn't get the adapter. YES I was complaining I GOT ONE! He was even going to replace the adapter and cord free of charge. He totally didn't get it. Finally after circling numerous times to explain this and said sorry for any confusion as if it was ME (THEY'RE CONFUSED,) he claimed that not all refurbished nooks have all the wires and adapters so that's why the website states to add one and sorry for the confusion. IT NEEDS TO STATE THAT THEN! I explained this numerous times and asked to speak to a higher up and he said this was it. I tried to look up corporate but the b&ninc site says to complain to 1800thebook which was completely pointless for myself. He says I have to pay the shipping. It came with a lable as if b&n would since the guy is clueless i'll ask the post office and bring the lable. What a bunch of crap. I really enjoy this device it's a xmas present for my brother's girlfriend just ashame customer service stinks.

Contributor
Mysticalwaters1
0 Kudos

to sm8266 my best friend worked for b&n and complained about the same thing not being notified or properly instructed on their products. The buy a product get a $50 gift card thing was quite fustrating too and she was reamed for that and the nook color comming out when people were buying the first nooks. I understand it's like apple and they wanted to keep it secret but people would ask is their another comming out she told them no figuring they would have been notified. Maybe wrong on her end but then the company should have told them specifically not to assure reassure anything. Just very frustrating.

New User
sm82666
0 Kudos

It is frustrating! Not to mention we were never informed that B&N doesn't even sell the 1st Generation Nook anymore. They don't even tell us what price to sell the 3G model at. We have them still and don't know how much to sell it for!! I just don't like being blindsided with questions and looking like a newbie when I've actually been here almost 10 years.

New User
Jim_Lewis
0 Kudos

I agree that package labeling should be clear as to whether the box includes an AC adapter and BN should make sure its employees are adequately informed about changes that will impinge upon every customer.

That being said, I think we should applaud Amazon and BN for removing AC adapters to provide a cheaper product and avoid unnecessary toxic environmental waste.  Just as the EU got after cell manufacturers to produce a universal power adapter, BN, Amazon, Sony, Kobo, should get together and work on a universal e-reader charging standard.  They should let us know what existing adapters might already work for that purpose so we could make an informed choice as to whether we really need another AC adapter or could perfectly well make do with one we already own, saving extra expense and the environment at the same time.

In the future when we purchase e-readers for both reasons of expense and saving the environment, we should weigh whether an e-reader works with a universal adapter (or something we already have) as a small factor contributing to our decision of which one to purchase.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Jim_Lewis wrote:

I agree that package labeling should be clear as to whether the box includes an AC adapter and BN should make sure its employees are adequately informed about changes that will impinge upon every customer.

That being said, I think we should applaud Amazon and BN for removing AC adapters to provide a cheaper product and avoid unnecessary toxic environmental waste.  Just as the EU got after cell manufacturers to produce a universal power adapter, BN, Amazon, Sony, Kobo, should get together and work on a universal e-reader charging standard.  They should let us know what existing adapters might already work for that purpose so we could make an informed choice as to whether we really need another AC adapter or could perfectly well make do with one we already own, saving extra expense and the environment at the same time.

In the future when we purchase e-readers for both reasons of expense and saving the environment, we should weigh whether an e-reader works with a universal adapter (or something we already have) as a small factor contributing to our decision of which one to purchase.

I really like the idea of having a charger/adapter standard.  It would also be nice if there was an industry standard for ebook format as well.  Due to the way the current economy works, and the fact that most companies seem to want to maximize profits through proprietary formats, I don't forsee any industry standards coming anytime soon.  As for the environmental effect of having several chargers/adapters laying around or in the land fill, that seems to be a nonstarter when it comes to government regulation.  Just look at how up in arms people (particularly Republican politicians) are that incandescent lightbulbs would be phased out due to not being able to meet the new efficiency standards.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Distinguished Correspondent
scotta316
0 Kudos

This is a bit off-topic, but I found it interesting that my niece's new Kindle Fire did not come with a USB cable that is seperate from a wall charger. Instead the cord is captive to the charger. Just when it looked like many devices were following the same standard of having the usb cord that plugged into the wall charger or into the computer.

Contributor
NancyW12
0 Kudos

MY NST has been charging just fine with the NST cable and the N1 outlet adapter.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

I already have so many USB outlet adapters from other devices and cell phones (and my original Nook) that this isn't an issue.  Just got another new one with a new cell phone.

New User
Yurirense
0 Kudos

I could pay an extra 10 bucks for an adapter but I rather return the whole thing and get my $100 bucks back. Like everyone else it's not about the money but the feeling of being duped and lied to.

Correspondent
Wulfraed

Yurirense wrote:

I could pay an extra 10 bucks for an adapter but I rather return the whole thing and get my $100 bucks back. Like everyone else it's not about the money but the feeling of being duped and lied to.

And just who "... duped and lied.."?

Every advert I've examined for the Simple Touch has stated that a power adapter is NOT included... Granted, I wasn't examining ads last year...

Here's the current online listing: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook-simple-touch-barnes-noble/1102344735

Note the $5 adapter offer on the right hand side of the screen...

Baron Wulfraed
Bibliophile
bklvr896

Yurirense wrote:

And, this is not a new thing, it's been known for a year now, if you look at the dates of the posts you are replying to.  You could return it and buy a Kindle, except that they don't come with a power adapter either.

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

New price

FWIW B&N just reduced the NST's price to $79 and the NSTG's to $119.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
AlanNJ
0 Kudos

Re: New price

The NSTG was $119 about a month ago when I purchased mine.  This is nothing that recent.