Distinguished Correspondent
EllenKeiff

Re: Alex - when are hd/hd+ shelf issues going to be addressed by BN Customer Service?

I did actually put together a package of suggestions from the customer standpoint early in 2012.  I fedexed it to Bob Weis (who no longer is in charge and/or works at BN apparently).  I plan to revamp it and re-send it to Iannone and cc the CTO.  Alex had a thread up earlier this year (which seems to have disappeared) and in it he asked for customer suggestions - I posted my letter almost verbatim and nothing has been done to even come close to any of the suggestions. 

When I spoke to Bob Weis I suggested a "known issues" page.  If you at least know there's an issue and you can see where they are with it, you (me hehehe) will not feel the need to skulk their facebook page and ask the same question over and over just to hopefully get that one HELPFUL person who will actually answer you. 

As for the store reps, there's no reason the "nooksperts" shouldn't be on top of things and in the know.  I could walk into a store and sell a nook for them in 3 mins flat - but why?  So another person could be frustrated beyond belief with the poor customer service? 

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat

Re: Alex - when are hd/hd+ shelf issues going to be addressed by BN Customer Service?

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

As I've mentioned in other threads I post in, I work for a retail B&N.  Please please PLEASE do call customer support, do not call your local store. 

Your local store can -not- do anything to address issues like this, we simply just don't get to give that feedback.  And while we'd like to help you and get these issues addressed, it's not in our power.

Here are the numbers to call

1-800-the book

International customers-

201-559-3882

you can also email them, or chat live by going to http://www.barnesandnoble.com/customerservice/contactus#

@Mercury_Glitch: Can you supply snail-mail addresses for key executives? I have no confidence in the regular customer service channels, and I'll tell you why.

After installing the NST 1.2.0 update, noticing the newly missing page numbers in the TOC, and reading here about that new "feature," I emailed customer service asking whether a fix would be available and, if so, when. The first response I got consisted of nothing but a disclaimer to the effect that all resolutions and workarounds are temporary until issues can be fixed. That's it. No workaround, no solution, nothing except the disclaimer.

I replied with the word "escalate" in the subject and body, pointing out that my question hadn't been answered. The response to this was an apology and instructions for performing a factory reset. In other words, the person to whom the issue had been escalated didn't know about this change in the new firmware release.

At that point I gave up. And this is why I now believe that writing to key executives is the only way to possibly get through.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Sun_Cat wrote:

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

As I've mentioned in other threads I post in, I work for a retail B&N.  Please please PLEASE do call customer support, do not call your local store. 

Your local store can -not- do anything to address issues like this, we simply just don't get to give that feedback.  And while we'd like to help you and get these issues addressed, it's not in our power.

Here are the numbers to call

1-800-the book

International customers-

201-559-3882

you can also email them, or chat live by going to http://www.barnesandnoble.com/customerservice/contactus#

@Mercury_Glitch: Can you supply snail-mail addresses for key executives? I have no confidence in the regular customer service channels, and I'll tell you why.

After installing the NST 1.2.0 update, noticing the newly missing page numbers in the TOC, and reading here about that new "feature," I emailed customer service asking whether a fix would be available and, if so, when. The first response I got consisted of nothing but a disclaimer to the effect that all resolutions and workarounds are temporary until issues can be fixed. That's it. No workaround, no solution, nothing except the disclaimer.

I replied with the word "escalate" in the subject and body, pointing out that my question hadn't been answered. The response to this was an apology and instructions for performing a factory reset. In other words, the person to whom the issue had been escalated didn't know about this change in the new firmware release.

At that point I gave up. And this is why I now believe that writing to key executives is the only way to possibly get through.

I agree that writing to key executives using snail mail is the only way to instigate action on the part of an organization, especially B&N.  The best positions to communicate with, IMO, are the Chairman and the President.  Even at B&N, action will be about 100% assured.

Learn the correct snail mail addresses from the "Investor Relations" section of the company's Web page.  Expect to hear something within a week or so (usually).  You will not hear directly from the Chairman or the President, but you will hear from a manager who will often have the authority to handle your complaint. 

Many executives at this level receive 500-1000 e-mail messages every day.  They can't possibly read and respond to all of them, so if you send an e-mail, don't expect it to do much good.  Snail mail, on the other hand, is always read by somebody in the organization, even if it is just an Administrative Assistant. 

EllenKeiff

Actually Deesy, I called the corporate office and I spoke to Weis' assistant.  It took me a while though to track her down but I am a pita if I am unsatisfied with customer service.  After going thru the whole spiel with her, he actually called me back.  But it took me tons of emails to the whole lot of them and lots of phone calls and a better business bureau complaint.  My snail mail package was completely ignored.  Which made me mad as I had put a lot of time and effort into it. 

On a side note - I am happy to provide ANYONE with the numbers and email addresses I have from my last go around with BN corporate.  Feel free to inbox me and I will happily provide them. 

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Hats off to you Ellen. That's awesome. Could you please send me the information via private message. Thanks.

EllenKeiff
0 Kudos

Sent.  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

EllenKeiff wrote:

Actually Deesy, I called the corporate office and I spoke to Weis' assistant.  It took me a while though to track her down but I am a pita if I am unsatisfied with customer service.  After going thru the whole spiel with her, he actually called me back.  But it took me tons of emails to the whole lot of them and lots of phone calls and a better business bureau complaint.  My snail mail package was completely ignored.  Which made me mad as I had put a lot of time and effort into it. 

On a side note - I am happy to provide ANYONE with the numbers and email addresses I have from my last go around with BN corporate.  Feel free to inbox me and I will happily provide them. 

Sorry, Ellen, but I don't believe that you went high enough up the corporate ladder at B&N.  For maximum effect, write directly to the Chairman of the Board, or to the President.  Chances are, one of them will also carry the title of CEO or COO.  e-Mails and telephone calls are usually less effective, in my experience. 

To whom did you send your snail mail "package"?  Was it a lot more than a simple and well-written letter?  Packages from unknown senders are often relegated to the circular file at some large corporations.  This has been a policy ever since 2001 and the Anthrax attacks.  "Packages" are generally not a good idea when communicating with a large organization. 

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Thank you.

I am just laughing at the thought of all these B&N execs beginning to get feedback straight from the source.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch

[ Edited ]

I've got nothing right now.  I wont be back to work until sometime friday, if one of my better managers is working I'll ask them.

However, I expect they'd only have access to maybe one or two tiers above them.  Both of which are likely the corporate numbers which will result in phone trees that may, or may not, eventually lead to people. 

I would suggest getting the info from Ellen, as it's likely to cut some time off getting through to the right people.

To give a great example of how little corporate tells the folks in retail selling the things that keep them in the money, I learned about the 1.2.0 and 1.2.1 updates for the NST/NSTG -here- not at work.  I learned about the features and changes -here- because they apparently like to keep us in the dark about the changes even after the update is live. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
EllenKeiff
0 Kudos

Sorry, Ellen, but I don't believe that you went high enough up the corporate ladder at B&N.  For maximum effect, write directly to the Chairman of the Board, or to the President.  Chances are, one of them will also carry the title of CEO or COO.  e-Mails and telephone calls are usually less effective, in my experience. 

To whom did you send your snail mail "package"?  Was it a lot more than a simple and well-written letter?  Packages from unknown senders are often relegated to the circular file at some large corporations.  This has been a policy ever since 2001 and the Anthrax attacks.  "Packages" are generally not a good idea when communicating with a large organization.

I wrote to Bob Weis who was the VP of Customer Service and since at the time, I was looking for some.  I was satisfied.  I overnighted a package complete with copy of threads from these forums as "exhibits" (I work in a law firm, so I am very reference oriented).  I still have it as I pdf'd it.  It was probably about 20 pages off the top of my head.  2 Pages of the letter and 18 pages of threads with suggestions and problems.  I wrote it in 10/11, 11/11 when the wishlist issue was rampant.  I will look later and review it :smileyhappy:

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 517
Solutions: 40

Hey all,

Much of the issues you've been experiencing related to disappearing shelving should be addressed with our latest update.

However, if after updating anyone is still experiencing this issue please post with the following:

Behavior before/after update

size of library

# of shelves

how long shelves were available

- Alex

Click the Laurel leaf to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

Thank you.  It's nice to know that B&N was aware of the issue and has attempted to fix it.  I lost shelves twice after speding a consderable amount of time setting them up, so I'd given up on them.  I'll give it another go now with the update.  At least I know THEY know, and I know what information to feed back if it doesn't work.  Hopefully, of course, this is not the case.

Wordsmith
AlbionRose
0 Kudos

Ellen - fantastic job getting the contact info for the B&N execs.

I'm ashamed to say I gave up when I realised HQ was in Luxembourg and I would have to do it all in French!!!

:smileyembarrassed:

EllenKeiff
0 Kudos

What a great update....you really "fixed" shelves there. I can't see where my books are unless I scroll thru all my shelves, and then I have to do them one at a time. I can't remove anything from a shelf so I better be spot on perfect when i add one - because I will never know where I added it. Please oh please update more stuff JUST LIKE THIS FIX.
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,924
0 Kudos

EllenKeiff wrote:
What a great update....you really "fixed" shelves there. I can't see where my books are unless I scroll thru all my shelves, and then I have to do them one at a time. I can't remove anything from a shelf so I better be spot on perfect when i add one - because I will never know where I added it. Please oh please update more stuff JUST LIKE THIS FIX.

And this is why being a software developer sucks.

EllenKeiff
0 Kudos

It does suck, but why on earth would you release such a(nother) shoddy update without even beta testing it?  It is getting to the point where I wonder who on earth is truly in charge there....chuck e. cheese?  Let's use a little common sense just once in a while.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Flying Toastr - do you know why the changes to how shelves work were made?

EllenKeiff
0 Kudos

More to the point, do they (if you do know the answer to this question) actually beta test anything before they roll it out?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Rignes
0 Kudos

I've said it before, but ever since the Nook 1st Edition Shelves have been impractical for one reason only.

It's no longer possible to show me all my shelved books.

If that one feature was put back then shelves would be useful again.
Reader 2
Alan_Blackmoore
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Just got the new update a couple days ago. Result: all my shelves are gone, along with my music playlists, and this time my apps all disappeared. I was able to get the most of the preinstalled ones back (the default ones that come with the tablet) but all the ones I downloaded disappeared. Their preferences still show up but I have no idea how to get them to show back up. The categories have been erased every time my Nook HD downloaded an update, but the apps disappearing is new.

FWIW, I only had a few shelves (6 IIRC) and about 40 books categorized in them. As for MP3 playlists, I only had 3 with about 30 songs in them.

Hope you guys can get this problem solved... it's super annoying.

"The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about." -- Oscar Wilde