Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

All In On Nook

Never one to go half way, I recently bought not one but two Nooks. I am now the proud owner of the Nook HD+ and the Nook Simple Touch w/ Glowlight (something lite for throwing in the bag).  I am a LONG time Kindle owner and have very little to complain about there. I just wanted to try something new and since the Nook now supports Google Play store, I figured it was time to check it out.  I do realize that there will be pros and cons to switching.  The Play store is a rather major reason but I will say I think Amazons web site for managing the Kindle is better and runs more smoothly. The Nook one seems to want to be fairly persnickity. Not a huge deal but B&N could stand to clean that up.  I've also noticed that a number of books are more expensive on B&N but again, not enough so it'll turn me away.  I'm still playing with these two new Nooks and I do like them a lot. I can do more on my HD+ than on my Kindle Fire HD but the Fire does have the most amazing speakers on it.  The Kindle also brings immersion reading (text and professional narration which is nice)  I think they each bring different things to the table and it's time I sat down at the Nooks and gave them a taste. Really and truly looking forward to it though. Oh and being able to go into B&N with it and experience that will be nice since I tend to go there fairly often as well.  :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Correspondent
lochnez
0 Kudos

Re: All In On Nook

Welcome to the fold. I've been a Nook owner since 2010 (N1E, NT, HD, HD+) and love all of them. My wife received a Kindle as a gift back in 2009 or thereabouts, and loves it, but I chose Nook for its versitility and abiltiy to read any epub, pdf, what-have-you ebook and the ability to sideload from sites other than B&N. Can't do that with any Kindle I'm familiar with. Again, welcome and these boards are a great place to ask questions. Lots of friendly folks who will respond to any legimate question/concern you may have.

Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
0 Kudos

I don't ever get my books from anywhere other than B&N or Amazon in the case of the Kindle.  Right now I am fighting with technical issues aplenty.  I'm not one to give up to easily but this stuff does irritate me to some degree.  I just got these last night for pete's sake.   I go back and forth between my HD+ and my Simple Touch and these two devices simply aren't keeping up with each other even though I manually tell them to sync (which I feel I should not have to do typically).  The Simple Touch usually knew if it needed to go ahead further based on where I was on the HD+, but the same could not be said if I went the other way.  I ended up doing resets on both devices. I hope this doesn't continue. I'm also having a problem ordering anything from my Nook because apparently there is some sort of technical issue with B&N. I also had momentarty issues ordering from the web site although that eventually cleared up.  Seriously? Is this normal or do I have incredibly bad luck and timing?  Just never had these issues with Amazon and Kindle.  Like I said, I don't give up easily but I sure hope this stuff clears up SOON.  It was just a tad crazy when my Nook gave me an error when ordering that directed me to open up the Charms bar in Windows 8 to fix my payment info (which wasn't even the issue).  Now THAT was just plain NUTS    :smileysurprised:

Inspired Contributor
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

For much of the summer the download servers have had erratic outages; the First Edition being most affected, but even "Nook for PC" has had multi-day blockages. My best results have come from doing downloads before sunrise.

Synching between devices has never been useful for me... It seems that "last page on server" really means "highest page viewed". I read Asimov and Analog from editorials, shorts, novellas. That's essentially back to front, and the few times it has offerred to sync it has always been to a page near the end, no where near my current position. Might be okay if one is just reading novels without looking ahead.

Baron Wulfraed
Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

A couple of years ago, when I bought my second NOOK, I learned that syncing page numbers on the current read doesn't work well for me. I usually didn't have WiFi or 3G on while I was reading and I kept forgetting to turn it on long enough at the end of reading time and/or the beginning of the next reading time to sync the page numbers between the two devices. 

Currently, page numbers on my HD and HD+ are sometimes, always to my surprise, in sync, since I go online frequently on those two devices; but page numbers on my N1E, NC and NST are all over the place since I turn on WiFi only for downloading new titles on those devices.  (And yes, I have a NOOK in every reading spot in the house and use them all!) 

The page syncing problem in my case is purely user error. :smileylol: 

And. . . welcome to these NOOK boards.  I enjoyed your reasoned, civil observations on the difference in Kindle and NOOK.  I hope your NOOK experience is pleasant.

Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
0 Kudos

My "civil-reasoned" approach is probably due in part to the fact that I'm an IT person and change is part of the package. I also tend to embrace it and realize that when big changes are made, you need to expect bumps in the road (Win 7 to Win 8, Kindle to Nook, iPhone to Android, etc.). I get very irritated when people make a major change like this and start whining because it doesn't do what their old device did. I recognize they are vastly different. I will not hold it against the Nook because it chooses to approach things differently. I will hold it aginst it if it doesn't do what it should do correctly (purchasing and syncing) but I am a relatively patient and understanding person about such things (up to a point). I intend to give these new Nooks a real run for the money and if they don't work properly (again - properly vs how I would like it to work), then I "may" revisit getting one of the new Kindles when they comes out later this year. That is not my wish or desire at this point. I'd much rather B&N fix these technical issues they are having. If they do, I will hang with them for the forseeable future. I'm interested to see what the next generation of Nook will look like now that someone else will be making the hardware.  Oh and one nice surprise is that the speakers are better than I had feared. Definitely won't be a mark in the negative column.  :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Correspondent
lochnez
0 Kudos

I personally have never had a problem syncing on any of my devices, including when I read on iOS, as long as WiFi is on when I close the book. Downloading has never been a problem either, knock on wood (ouch!). Am I just lucky?
Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
0 Kudos

Perhaps timing really is everything, I may just bring back the Simple Touch just so I don't have to worry about going back and forth and making sure everything is in sync.  I can definitely see this getting on my nerves if it continues like this.  As for the downloading, I think it was a temporary technical issue on their part. again - bad timing on my part.  :smileyfrustrated:

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

lochnez wrote:
I personally have never had a problem syncing on any of my devices, including when I read on iOS, as long as WiFi is on when I close the book. Downloading has never been a problem either, knock on wood (ouch!). Am I just lucky?

In a word - yes.

There are some people who never have a problem syncing.  And then there are the rest of us.

For me, the whole "turn on wifi, close the book, sync the library, cross your fingers, knock on wood" process is more hassle than it's worth.  I just make a point of switching devices at chapter breaks, and remembering page numbers when I can't.  If I was reading on my phone on the bus and stopped mid-chapter to get off at my stop, when I get home I'll read on my phone or my ipad (I have no trouble syncing pages from the app to the app) until I get to the end of the chapter, and then move over to my NST by manually selecting the new chapter in the ToC, or I'll make note of the page number and change over right away.

As far as other syncing, shopping and website issues - B&N is extremely tight-lipped about issues, only admitting them when users are crying foul (the exception to this is the iOS and Android app teams, who tend to be more proactive).  For the server issues, as they've been sporadic, we've heard very little from B&N about them, and I don't expect that to change.  I also have low expectations about them getting fixed any time soon, as they seem to be increasing,  That said, I'm not averse to buying from competing vendors when B&N's server issues are preventing me from getting the book I want.

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

I guess I'm lucky, too.  Between an NST, an N1E (not used much any more), an iPad, and now an Android Moto X phone, my experience has been that the pages will sync most of the time, but not always, as long as I consistently sync with the server after closing a book and before opening it.  Not 100% of the time, but at least 95%, and it's not as if having to occasionally turn a few dozen pages to find where I was is a terrible imposition.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

ConnieL4193 wrote:

My "civil-reasoned" approach is probably due in part to the fact that I'm an IT person and change is part of the package. I also tend to embrace it and realize that when big changes are made, you need to expect bumps in the road (Win 7 to Win 8, Kindle to Nook, iPhone to Android, etc.). I get very irritated when people make a major change like this and start whining because it doesn't do what their old device did. I recognize they are vastly different. I will not hold it against the Nook because it chooses to approach things differently. I will hold it aginst it if it doesn't do what it should do correctly (purchasing and syncing) but I am a relatively patient and understanding person about such things (up to a point). I intend to give these new Nooks a real run for the money and if they don't work properly (again - properly vs how I would like it to work), then I "may" revisit getting one of the new Kindles when they comes out later this year. That is not my wish or desire at this point. I'd much rather B&N fix these technical issues they are having. If they do, I will hang with them for the forseeable future. I'm interested to see what the next generation of Nook will look like now that someone else will be making the hardware.  Oh and one nice surprise is that the speakers are better than I had feared. Definitely won't be a mark in the negative column.  :smileyhappy:

First of all, I would like to thank you for your civil, reasoned apporach. It really is refreshing.

About synching: it is a bit of a weak point.  Someties it works, sometimes it doesn't.  What helped it work more often in my experience were two things: first of all, back out of the book to the library and synch/refresh after reading on any of the devices.  Secondly, I found that when we upgraded out wifi to a faster method, the odds of synching were greatly increased.  If you want to synch highlights among the devices, it seems you need to have Nook for PC installed and operating. 

I've never had a Kindle, so I can't compare systems.  I bought into the B&N system when I bought my Nook Color--at the time, it was the only device of its kind.  Later, I gat a Simple Touch and after that, an HD+.  As I said, I can't compare to Kindle.  I can only say that overall, I've been very pleased with my Nooks. 

keriflur
0 Kudos

I'd lile to hear more about syncing highlights as I didn't think you could do that. Do you have to log into Nook for PC each time before the devices will sync?

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

I discovered it by accident when I installed Nook for PC to back up my books.  I'm still experiementing with it.  It says that it allows one to highlights across all platforms, and indeed it does.  I *think* all one needs to do is to synch on the computer using Nook for PC.  You do need to be logged into Nook for PC; I'm not sure yet if you have to log out/log in; I think not.  I need a little more experience with it to be sure.

Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
0 Kudos

I ended up bringing the Simple Touch back and will concentrate only on the HD+. I figure it will be far less aggravating for me. I was once again irritated by the fact that I subscribed to my local paper and could not get it in the morning. I stopped getting it on my Kindle because it came to late there also but at least I got it. On my Nook it still hadn't shown up by 8:00 even when I tried to go get it manually. Totally unacceptable so I canceled that. Can't ANYONE deliver a newspaper on the same time schedule as the actual paper one???  You would think it would be relatively easy.  Anyway, I am now going to give USA Today a try. 

Inspired Contributor
BassmanMT
0 Kudos

Welcome, Connie. I helped a neighbor with a Kindle and I really like the HD+, by comparison. You are right about the speakers, though.

In June I added the HD+ to the Nook 1st Edition and am still using both, for different reasons. We also picked up an ASUS tablet about the same time, so Android was new to the household.

I have an IT background and thought it might help to mention that unless you know Android well, which I did not at that time, it has taken me three months to be able state that I know what I am doing and have gotten everything set up and working, or I understand why it isn't working, or it just isn't my fault (like today's Free Friday's App is not working for most reviewers).

The HD+ doesn't reveal the whole Free Friday thing like the N1E shows it in Promotions, so don't forget to check it every Friday.

Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
0 Kudos

Yah, I'm an IT professional myself so I'm pretty good with all the OS's and more so with those I'm currently using (Windows Phone 8, Windows 7/8, Android (all flavors), Blackberry, iPhones and GOOD app, etc.) so I can pretty much figure things out. The way I see it, if I have to struggle to figure something out, then it absolutely isn't very intuitive and the "regular" user will have major difficulties.  I won't get nearly as upset as they will because I can come up with lots of things to try to fix the problem.  I'm ok with this Nook right now although my one beef with it is that the screen isn't NEARLY as easy to wipe prints off of as the Kindle which was more like glass and very easy to wipe. I almost have to use a wet cloth to wipe this Nook. Someone suggested I put a screen protector on it and that actually might be easier to clean. We'll see. I usually don't like those as it tends to "dull" the screen some.  The other thing is that I see no quick button in the Book store on the Nook itself to add things to the wish list and had one very difficult time even finding the wish list.  Like I said, if I have to try that hard, then it needs to be improved. So CAN you get to the wish list from the Nook itself because I still can't find it.  :smileysad:

flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,855

To add an item to the Wishlist on an HD Series device just click the little "Heart+" icon underneath the cover image in the shop. It's right above the buy button when you're looking at item details.

To view your wishlist at any time while in the Shop menu click the "Heart" button in the bottom left corner.

Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
0 Kudos

Thanks much. I even searched in the PDF manual for "wish list" and got nothing. Maybe I should list THAT as a complaint too. :smileywink:

Got any recommendations for cleaning this screen? I'm using the same glasses cleaning cloth I used for my Kindle and that's almost worthless. Perhaps a baby wipe??

bobstro
0 Kudos

Try a micro fiber cloth. I make a point of carrying one around wherever I'm likely to be using any device with a touch screen. I rarely need any sort of liquid or moist wipe. Those are only needed when something sticky dries.

I generally don't like screen protectors, but I do have to say that a non-glare protector has made my Samsung tablet much more usable. It's lost a lot of the screen vibrance, but I only have to wipe the screen once or twice a day now (if that), and glare is a non-issue. If you find yourself fussing with the screen a lot, you might give one a shot.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,855
0 Kudos

I use eyeglass lens cleaner with a microfiber cloth. The lamination on the screen does make it attract fingerprints like mad, which is a problem. >.>