Contributor
tendoboy1984

All this recent news has me reconsidering buying a Nook HD.

So we all know the future of the Nook brand is in jeopardy. Barnes & Noble wants to move away from hardware, and Microsoft may buy the Nook division, turning it into a software distribution platform. The addition of Google Play on the Nook HD has me anxious to get one, but if there's no long term plan for the future of the brand, then what's the point in even buying one?
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

Re: All this recent news has me reconsidering buying a Nook HD.

<OddballVoice>All these negatives waves!</OddballVoice>

You have posted just how many of these variations of negative rumor mill garbage?  21?

Should we call you Jeff?

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

tendoboy1984 wrote:
So we all know the future of the Nook brand is in jeopardy. Barnes & Noble wants to move away from hardware, and Microsoft may buy the Nook division, turning it into a software distribution platform. The addition of Google Play on the Nook HD has me anxious to get one, but if there's no long term plan for the future of the brand, then what's the point in even buying one?

Did Amazon send you over here?

Wordsmith
BruceMcF

tendoboy1984 wrote:

Wait a minute ... we hear rumors about B&N shifting out of making their own tablet and focusing on getting their apps up on other tablets ... and side by side that is the real news that the Nook HD has been opened up to Google Play, so no longer requires the ongoing support of B&N to be useable ...

... so what's the point of buying the Nook HD? Its an Android tablet with great family friendly account features, a nice screen, and what has been reviewed as one of the most comfortable 7" media tablets to hold in the hand for long reading / viewing sessions.

Its biggest ding in its early series of reviews was the limited selection of apps ... which has just been fixed.

So what would be the point of buying one? To use it.

In fact, let me tell you a secret about the iPad mini, the Nexus 7, and the Kindle HD ... by the end of 2014, they will all have been superceded by new gear. If the fact that something will be superceded by something new in two year's time keeps you from buying it, don't buy electronics.

Contributor
tendoboy1984
0 Kudos

Barnes & Noble is getting out of the tablet market, they confirmed it in February. Just Google it.
Wordsmith
BruceMcF

tendoboy1984 wrote:
Barnes & Noble is getting out of the tablet market, they confirmed it in February. Just Google it.

They said in February that they were doing a review of their strategy. If you "googled for it" and found a breathless announcement that they had decided to get out of the tablet in February, what you found was somebody who successfully got their search return up by successfully oversimplifying and sensationalizing the story.

Or, IOW, "Google for it" would only be a credible source if a majority of information on the internet was calm, judicious, credible reporting.

Now, as I said at the time, if the review comes to sensible conclusions, and if they do not have access to some secret information that outsiders are not privy too, they ought to get out of the business of designing tablet hardware, since quite a lot of the tablet hardware that will be designed for XMas 2014 season will be perfectly appropriate for their needs, and so there's not likely to be any prospective benefit to designing their own hardware which justfies the risks involved.

However, the main point is that whether or not they phase out hardware design is now entirely irrelevant to the question of whether or not someone should buy a Nook HD. The risk that a buyer of a Nook HD previously faced was that B&N would not maintain the Nook apps store if they dropped the Nook hardware line.

And they have recently eliminated that risk, by embedding Google Play in their updated overlay on the Android operating system. Now, unless Google abandons the Play Store, any buyer of a Nook HD has assured access to an ongoing supply of apps.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Can someone just ban tendoboy?

It certainly seems like a paid person from Amazon. Tired of seeing negative pointless comments from tendoboy on every single thread.

Go tell your master to put up or shut up.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

5ivedom wrote:

Can someone just ban tendoboy?

It certainly seems like a paid person from Amazon. Tired of seeing negative pointless comments from tendoboy on every single thread.

Go tell your master to put up or shut up.

Or everyone could just ignore the posts.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

BruceMcF: However, the main point is that whether or not they phase out hardware design is now entirely irrelevant to the question of whether or not someone should buy a Nook HD. The risk that a buyer of a Nook HD previously faced was that B&N would not maintain the Nook apps store if they dropped the Nook hardware line.

And they have recently eliminated that risk, by embedding Google Play in their updated overlay on the Android operating system. Now, unless Google abandons the Play Store, any buyer of a Nook HD has assured access to an ongoing supply of apps.

What they've basically done is taken their multimedia ereader tablet and turned it into a general purpose tablet that has ereading capabilities designed into it. After the hassles with the Nook Tablet,  I swore I'd never get another Nook device; but their addition of the Google Play Store (something I never, ever expected) combined with their Mother's Day Sale convinced me to buy two HD+s today - one for me and one for my husband for Father's Day.next month.

New User
wearsmanyhats

funny how that works.  The replacement of the browser with chrome and the addition of all the google spyware is making me wish that I had NOT bought two nook hd+ readers at christmastime. 

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

it is kinda funny. I've been trying to come up with reasons all week that I need another one in the house.:smileywink:

Seriously, if you want to get rid of the google stuff, just edit your profiles and turn it off. There are other browsers you can add to your home screen.

Contributor
lvnook

After all the research I did comparing the competitors and the recent add of google play. I bought my 3rd nook. Love the 9"screen and for the sale price couldn't beat it!
New User
Maytushe_Tempoka
0 Kudos

didn't know you could do that, thanks for the info.

Frequent Contributor
maxspr1
0 Kudos

Can you link another browser to the "Web" button on the stock screen or are you just talking about adding another browser's app icon to your home screen?

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

The web browser icon seems to be tied to Chrome. If you deselect it under profiles, it will disappear.  Then you can add another browsers app icon to your home page. 

Wordsmith
BruceMcF

If you prefer the webkit engine to the chrome engine, Dolphin is an Android browser that is based on the webit engine.

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

lvnook: After all the research I did comparing the competitors and the recent add of google play. I bought my 3rd nook. Love the 9"screen and for the sale price couldn't beat it!

The sale price was what tipped the scales for me. The addition of the Play Store made me willing to consider buying one, but the sale is what sealed the deal. I'm finding that the larger screen is nice, but it's not nearly as convenient as the 7" models (weight, portability, etc.) so I doubt it's going to wind up replacing my 7" device as my preferred tablet. But for the price and the specific conditions I got to use it for, I don't regret the decision.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Does anyone think this might lead to B&N deciding to continue with Tablets? From all signs I can see there seem to be lots of people buying Nooks suddenly.

1) Lots of people in the forums.

2) Lots of people in various websites.

3) Numerous reports of a rush at B&N for HD and HD+.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

Does anyone think this might lead to B&N deciding to continue with Tablets? From all signs I can see there seem to be lots of people buying Nooks suddenly.

1) Lots of people in the forums.

2) Lots of people in various websites.

3) Numerous reports of a rush at B&N for HD and HD+.

If they do any or a combo of the following maybe

1) all future tablets have Google Play

2) all future tablets are basically software from B&N and a tablet from others

3) Keep the prices way down

4) make some really huge stride in hardware that puts them way beyond what the competition can offer (not likely)

Which is a shame really, had they released the HD in place of the Nook Tablet or had they just delayed the release of a second tablet device until the HD I think things would have gone better. 

I still hope they release another eink device, but I've already bought my mother a NSTG as a mothers day gift because I don't see them releasing a new device. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.