Scribe
frantastk

Re: All this recent news has me reconsidering buying a Nook HD.

TnTexas wrote:

lvnook: After all the research I did comparing the competitors and the recent add of google play. I bought my 3rd nook. Love the 9"screen and for the sale price couldn't beat it!

The sale price was what tipped the scales for me. The addition of the Play Store made me willing to consider buying one, but the sale is what sealed the deal. I'm finding that the larger screen is nice, but it's not nearly as convenient as the 7" models (weight, portability, etc.) so I doubt it's going to wind up replacing my 7" device as my preferred tablet. But for the price and the specific conditions I got to use it for, I don't regret the decision.

Same here. I'd been wanting one for a while, but with both the addition of google play and the sale, I bumped it way up on my list and bought the HD on Thursday. I wasn't going to buy one if the only app store I could use out of the box ( I know about rooting and sd cards but have no interest in doing either) was the nook app store.

I must say that I'm really happy with it and will still be happy with it even if bn announces tomorrow that they are getting out of the tablet business or closing.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

Does anyone think this might lead to B&N deciding to continue with Tablets? From all signs I can see there seem to be lots of people buying Nooks suddenly.

1) Lots of people in the forums.

2) Lots of people in various websites.

3) Numerous reports of a rush at B&N for HD and HD+.

"Continue with Tablets" and "Continue to design new tablets" are two separate decisions. "Continue with tablets" as in skin somebody else's tablet with the Nook book store and Nook video store embedded ... sure they could. One advantage of not designing the hardware is that the lead time to make that strategic decision is substantially shorter.

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

Mercury_Glitch: If they do any or a combo of the following maybe

1) all future tablets have Google Play

2) all future tablets are basically software from B&N and a tablet from others

3) Keep the prices way down

4) make some really huge stride in hardware that puts them way beyond what the competition can offer (not likely)

This is the only way I can see it being profitable for them to stay in the tablet business since the market demands more than B&N can deliver on its own. And 3 & 4 are quite iffy to me.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975
0 Kudos

I'm not sure where this "get tablets from another company and slap BN software on them" idea comes from. It would further decrease the margins on the devices and make them even less profitable for BN. Making their own tablets, BN has to pay the manufacturer and the part producers, and spend the money developing the OS. If they bough a generic Samsung tablet design, they have to pay the manufacturer and the part producers, spend the money developing the OS, and pay Samsung as a middle man who designed the device.

It makes aboslutely no fiscal sense.

Correspondent
tuck229
0 Kudos

NookGardener wrote:

Seriously, if you want to get rid of the google stuff, just edit your profiles and turn it off. There are other browsers you can add to your home screen.

Puffin browser is another good one I'd suggest.

I actually liked the built-in browser with my NC, but sometimes it didn't fit the bill for what I was doing, and Puffin browser was my other used browser.  Just got an HD+ yesterday and will probably be using Puffin instead of Chrome.  I'm probably in the minority of folks who is tired of google and try to use them as little as possible.

(Hello Bing and SkyDrive...)

I upgraded to the HD+ from my NC mainly for the screen size, HDMI, and ability to use a keyboard.  I really hope B&N keeps the Nook line going and as a company is around for a long time.  Still, if they go belly up or pull the tablet plug tomorrow, I still have a sweet e-reader tablet for under $200.  

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

I'm not sure where this "get tablets from another company and slap BN software on them" idea comes from. It would further decrease the margins on the devices and make them even less profitable for BN.

Google seems to be making it work.

Making their own tablets, BN has to pay the manufacturer and the part producers, and spend the money developing the OS. If they bough a generic Samsung tablet design, they have to pay the manufacturer and the part producers, spend the money developing the OS, and pay Samsung as a middle man who designed the device.

I suspect it'd be more a case of getting a substantial discount from the device manufacturer, having them brand it (stickers, logos, box) and adding in the B&N software shell, then marking that up for resale.

Rather than having to pay to develop the hardware, then build & store it, B&N orders them as needed (no big HD/+ unsold inventory) and sells each at a profit. By keeping runs lower, they're able to offer "new" products more quickly without all the up-front cost. Should one manufacturer fail or produce a flop, they can move to another quickly.

Please tell Google. They're selling Asus and Samsung hardware with the Google branding and software layer.

It's hardly a new idea. My first "PC compatible" was sold in the US as an AT&T 6300. The AT&T model was white, and branded with AT&T logos and books. Mine was gray and boxy with Olivetti M24 branding. Under the hood, they were both identical Olivetti innards.

Let's face it, FT, for all your slicing and parsing over the last couple of years, the NOOK tablet devices have been Android tablets under the hood all along. The recent move to allow GoPS access only accentuates this fact. What makes a NOOK device a "nook" is the software and branding. As long as the hardware is good and the software works, I doubt most NOOK purchasers care who makes the hardware. 

Now, B&N finds themselves with a huge backlog of unsold HD/+ hardware that they're only able to move through significant discounting and opening of GoPS access. B&N is having to make these moves well before the typical economies of scale kick in, increasing their losses/minimizing profit. Does that make fiscal sense? Inventory is the bane of retail.

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

bobstro: Google seems to be making it work. ..... I suspect it'd be more a case of getting a substantial discount from the device manufacturer, having them brand it (stickers, logos, box) and adding in the B&N software shell, then marking that up for resale.

This is what I was thinking - follow Google's model and form a partnership of sorts with a tablet company. I think that has a possibility of working for them. Their current model where they do everything themselves, doesn't.

bobstro
0 Kudos

TnTexas wrote:

This is what I was thinking - follow Google's model and form a partnership of sorts with a tablet company. I think that has a possibility of working for them. Their current model where they do everything themselves, doesn't.

I'd suggested this some time last year. While FT likes to parse the fine print on the Nexus agreements, Google's approach with the Nexus devices is essentially to let someone else build the hardware, put software on it to Google's spec ("pristine" Android per Google) and brand it as a Google device. While Google surely carries more clout than B&N and can get manufacturers like Samsung and Asus to compete to match their spec, B&N could probably find a manufacturer with a "close enough" design (after all, other than screen, the B&N devices aren't particularly featureful) and get those at discount. Brand and sell that as long as it's a money maker, then drop it for the next device, nor altogether, once it's not. 

The key thing would be to establish the NOOK brand for the premiere reading experince by making the software the focus rather than the gizmo it runs on. Until very recently, B&N had that backwards. They seem to be coming around, so I'm hopeful they'll refocus more on readers and reading, along with developing meaningful interaction between NOOK owners and B&N stores.

Frequent Contributor
eaglewomanEP
0 Kudos

tuck229, I too am not a big fan of Google.I put the dolpin browser on mine, have not even looked at the google play and the google books.

keriflur
0 Kudos

TnTexas wrote:

bobstro: Google seems to be making it work. ..... I suspect it'd be more a case of getting a substantial discount from the device manufacturer, having them brand it (stickers, logos, box) and adding in the B&N software shell, then marking that up for resale.

*shakes head*

I won't buy another Asus-made anything because of my experience with the Nexus 7.  That was a one-time shot.  No one should have to play the buy-and-return game to get a device that isn't falling apart out of the box.

Do what Google did, and build crap devices - No, not a great plan for B&N.

Also, keep in mind that the purpose of the Nexus devices is to build the software and Play Store platform, and Google is capable of selling devices at a loss if they choose.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

I quite agree: the build crap devices part of it should be omitted.

Also, keep in mind that the purpose of the Nexus devices is to build the software and Play Store platform, and Google is capable of selling devices at a loss if they choose.

In what way is that different from the purpose of Nook devices, which was to build the Nook books and Nook video platforms? The Nooks were never designed and built in order to generate hardware profits for B&N, now B&N Media.

keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

BruceMcF wrote:

keriflur wrote:

In what way is that different from the purpose of Nook devices, which was to build the Nook books and Nook video platforms? The Nooks were never designed and built in order to generate hardware profits for B&N, now B&N Media.

The main difference is that B&N cannot afford to sell at a loss.  I'm not saying the purpose is different, but that Google can afford to sell at a loss (and because of this purpose, may choose to do so), and B&N cannot.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

I'm not sure where this "get tablets from another company and slap BN software on them" idea comes from. It would further decrease the margins on the devices and make them even less profitable for BN. Making their own tablets, BN has to pay the manufacturer and the part producers, and spend the money developing the OS. If they bough a generic Samsung tablet design, they have to pay the manufacturer and the part producers, spend the money developing the OS, and pay Samsung as a middle man who designed the device.

Hmm.  Didn't it make some sort of fiscal sense for a company called "Microsoft" for more than three decades?  I mean ... B&N could become a software-only company, couldn't they?

keriflur
0 Kudos

deesy58 wrote:

flyingtoastr wrote:

Hmm.  Didn't it make some sort of fiscal sense for a company called "Microsoft" for more than three decades?  I mean ... B&N could become a software-only company, couldn't they?

There is a bit of a difference in that B&N doesn't sell software to consumers, they sell content.  Also, different context - I'm not sure that what MS chose to do 30 years ago, when tech was in a completely different place, is relevant to the situation.  And what made sense for three decades clearly doesn't make sensee for them anymore, so...

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

keriflur: *shakes head*

I won't buy another Asus-made anything because of my experience with the Nexus 7.  That was a one-time shot.  No one should have to play the buy-and-return game to get a device that isn't falling apart out of the box.

I know you had a bad experience, but every device I've seen has seemed to have reports of problems at the beginning.I don't have an N7, but they seem to still be popular so do you know if there were more complaints about the Nexus 7 than there usually are for a device's initial run?

Distinguished Correspondent
keithlm
0 Kudos

AH booooo.....

THought about it all weekend... decided I'd go for an HD+ even though I'm still slighly miffed that my Nook Tablet wasn't really even supported for an entire year.... and even worse that they won't allow the Google play stuff... because we all know the hardware supports it.

Decided I'd give my Tablet to my mother... especially since it has the extened warranty... be good for her.

Anyway... went to the store... OOPS.. no more sales prices.

Blech.

keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

TnTexas wrote:
I know you had a bad experience, but every device I've seen has seemed to have reports of problems at the beginning.I don't have an N7, but they seem to still be popular so do you know if there were more complaints about the Nexus 7 than there usually are for a device's initial run?

Yes, there were.  There were also lots of "I gave up trying to get a good one so I used glue to fix the one I have" and "I voided my warranty to fix the one I have because when I file a warranty claim they just send me another broken one" posts in the various Android forums.  I was one of the lucky ones - I only had to do two returns before I got a decently assembled N7 (third time's the charm in my case).  ALL the issues were hardware - screens that came unglued, screens that were attached poorly and cracked from normal use, dead pixels, weird backlighting that caused shadows and hotspots on the screen, severe light bleed, etc.

From reports I've seen, the first few runs had glue issues - basically the glue didn't get a chance to set properly, which means every single device in the run had an increased chance of developing issues and a large portion were coming apart in their boxes.

Asus is not known for their build quality.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975

[ Edited ]

bobstro wrote:

Please tell Google. They're selling Asus and Samsung hardware with the Google branding and software layer.

Google makes most of their money from advertising on said devices, and using the customer data gleaned from mining said devices to serve even more targeted advertising. They've actually shown themselves to be pretty inept at content sales.

Unless you're saying BN should take a page out of Amazon's books and start splashing "BUY A NISSAN NOW" on their devices, the business models are completely diffrerent.

Also: As Keri pointed out - NOOK devices tend to have much higher build quality than Nexus devices.

bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If you're going to set the bar at never having had a run of bad devices, B&N should have quit long ago. Note that I didn't say B&N should try to be Google, nor comp ete with Google for low-end tablet sales. B&N has always claimed a value add with their software. The fact that B&N wants to sell content instead of software only underscores the point. Apparently, the Nexus 7 has sold well enough to get a 2nd generation, so perhaps not everybody experienced problems? 

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/05/09/new-nexus-7-to-be-highlight-of-google-io-analyst-says

If B&N stressed in store value (e.g. support, sales, read-in-store) for devices sold in store, they'd enhance that value. By freeing themselves from hardware, they'd minimize inventory to get stuck with. By making the core NOOK app feature set consistent, all users would see the same value, regardless of device (and despite that user's platform preferences.) 

A NOOK labeled device can still be sold to target the mythical Julie if B&N still wants to pretend she exists, along with all the other folks who'll pay a few bucks more for in store support and assurance it'll "just work". 

keriflur
0 Kudos

When the N7 launched it was very much a device sold to techies, so the Android forums are good place to see what people thought.  Do a search.  ALMOST EVERY DEVICE from the first few runs had an issue, but a lot of people said "good enough, it only cost $250".  Sure, they're doing well now, but you know the difference in customer base between the Nexus and Nook devices.  I shouldn't have to spell out the impact to B&N of having the situation Google had.