Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

Re: All this recent news has me reconsidering buying a Nook HD.

In my opinion, the corner loop on the Nook Color, Tablet and HD+ is far from entirely cosmetic.  I used it frequently to hold the NC and NT with my thumb hooked in the loop, keeping the fingers of my gripping hand (gratuitous Niven/Pournelle reference!) far away from the touchscreen.

I am making a lanyard with paracord for the the loop on my HD+ now that it's reinforced with the grommet.

I'm personally biased against putting additional useless electronic components when they're not needed and against more crappy cameras.  I've already got plenty of devices to take pictures with, I don't need or want to do it with a tablet-sized device.

You may not have had anyone say they bought the Nook because of how it looked but it's one of the secondary factors and I HAVE heard people say the Fire looked cheap and horrid.  In terms of style or form factor, I was thinking more about how it felt holding it:  smooth against the palm without sharp edges to make it uncomfortable, curved where and how you need it to get a good grip without having to clench it.

The problem with market share has been more (IMO) an issue of marketing and publicity than design.  The tech press kept ignoring the Nook in reviews or acting like B&N was copying Amazon instead of vice-versa.  Amazon was pressing forward to have Kindle be the Kleenex of ereaders and I heard very little from B&N or the tech press about the Nooks' superior design or cost/performance advantages.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

There are big advantages to having a front-facing camera and a GPS if you like to travel.  The camera allows for video calls and the GPS allows you to view accurate map information.  These are both things that are nice on a larger device even when you have a smaller device (cell phone) that you can use for the same purpose.

I can say that for me, whether or not a device has these items is definitely a factor.  If I'm buying a tablet, I'm looking for it to be a multi-tasker.  If I just wanted to read, I'd use my NST.

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

keriflur:  If I'm buying a tablet, I'm looking for it to be a multi-tasker.

I think this is what the majority of the tablet market is drifting toward - the ability to multi-task. If people are going to spend that amount of money on something - even on the lower end of the price spectrum - they want to be able to do more than just one or two things with it. With the tightening of the economy, I think that tendency's only going to become more pronounced.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

I thought that corner loop was for companies to tether Nooks to desks for meeting rooms and such.

I think it's very interesting. I can't really get my finger into it so don't use it to strengthen the grip. However, I think it adds a different look. People could use charms and other things in it. I think it's an interesting idea for kids.

Looks wise and hardware wise Nook Tablet is much better than Kindle Fire.

The gap between HD/HD+ and Kindle Fire HD/HD 8.9" is less - HD and HD+ are still ahead.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF

5ivedom wrote:

I thought that corner loop was for companies to tether Nooks to desks for meeting rooms and such.

Its not as strong as I'd want something for a device to be tethered, at least not at our school. For me, its for reading at night, so I can orient myself which way is up so I am not reaching for the "n" key when the device is upside down.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

It may be strong enough on the HD+, but on the NC/NT it's actually fairly flimsy in terms of a security feature.  A hard yank would likely rip off the plastic hoop and you'd be free. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Good point.

Using it to figure out which end is up at night - that's a good idea.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin

Oberon covers and sleeves come with a small pewter charm that coordinates with the cover. I use the loop on my NC & HD+ as a place from which to hang the charms.

Bibliophile
Schwa

The corner hole in the HD+ also works as a pen/pencil stand.  Slide one through there and the device stands up at a comfortable angle.  Landscape is more steady than portrait though...

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

Schwa wrote:

The corner hole in the HD+ also works as a pen/pencil stand.  Slide one through there and the device stands up at a comfortable angle.  Landscape is more steady than portrait though...

Landscape is when I'm mostly likely to be wanting a stand, watching a video/movie.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Learning more and more every day. A pencil stand :smileyhappy: .