Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

Am I the only one who is surprised...

... that they did nothing to improve the shelving, which has been a source of constant complaints ever since the NST was released?  For the heavy users with hundreds of books, we have to page through dozens of screens to shelve one new book if its title is toward the end of the alphabet.  It would have been so easy to just revert to the N1E organization system, which was perfectly fine and easy to use.  The only issue with that one was separating the downloaded and sideloaded content.

I'm very disappointed that they did nothing about this.  I really see nothing here to convince me to upgrade from my current NST.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

Re: Am I the only one who is surprised...

Nope, I'm not surprised at all. Shelving does not seem to be important to BN, or any of the other retailers for that matter. 

MacMcK1957

Are they totally unaware of the library size of typical hard-core readers, who are, after all, presumably their target customer base? 

keriflur

I don't think this update was about giving readers what they want, I think it was about keeping on par with the competition. B&N needed a better screen, slightly more storage, and a better light guide, just to stay on par.  I don't see any real improvements for serious readers, anything that goes above what the competitors offer.

They released a new device because they had to.  I can only hope this device is a stopgap measure, and that now that they're past the mistakes they made with the HDs, that they're getting back in the game with a new website, and next year we'll see a real device for readers, with storage, shelving and a real TOC.  B&N used to be a leader.  They've stumbled with the HD, the server issues, etc, but hopefully this device is the beginning of the turnaround, not a commitment to mediocrity.

keriflur

MacMcK1957 wrote:

Are they totally unaware of the library size of typical hard-core readers, who are, after all, presumably their target customer base? 

I think they're aware, but I don't think the people making the decisions have connected the dots to understand the significance.