Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015

Amazon announces Kindle MatchBook

[ Edited ]

Amazon has taken another big swing at the e-book market. Starting next month, you can buy discounted Kindle versions of certain printed books that you bought from Amazon. No time limit on when the purchase was made, but the list of qualifying titles is limited — "thousands", they say. E-book pricing will be $2.99 or less, maybe even free for some titles.

Publishers Weekly reports that initial qualifying titles are from HarperCollins and (no surprise) from Amazon's own publishers. Publishers and authors will be paid based on the discounted sale price.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

Re: Amazon announces Kindle MatchBook

Reading the subject, I had visions of a really tiny ebook reader. 

keriflur

bobstro wrote:

Reading the subject, I had visions of a really tiny ebook reader. 

LOL, that's what I thought too.

I guess they must have struck a deal with HC.

IMO this is another good reason not to publish with Amazon.  Not because I think this is a bad thing, because I don't necessarily, it just seems like you have no control with Amazon, they don't have the author's interest at heart, and will devalue the work if it makes them more money. They come up with profit schemes and there's no check and balance - their authors are the beta.

Contributor
vermontcathy

But you DO have control. Authors/publishers can decide whether to participate or not. It's not forced on them. The exception, I presume, is authors who sign a publishing contract with an Amazon imprint - they might be required to participate.
keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

vermontcathy wrote:
The exception, I presume, is authors who sign a publishing contract with an Amazon imprint - they might be required to participate.

And those are the exact people I was referring to.

People who publish with Amazon are people who have signed publishing contracts with Amazon.

Correspondent
susgod

Will B&N adopt this practice?

Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

The matchbox is one of the things amazon announced today.  They are also launching a "new" and "improved" KPW.  This new version seems to be an upgraded of the old one.  Reading the responses of the people participating in the amazon's discussion forums, it's obvious that the response expected by the company has not been so positive.

Lector GS
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975
0 Kudos

This doesn't matter.

1. Amazon can't lose money on their ebook division, and the DOJ will be auditing it for 5 years for compliance. It's part of the settlement from the Apple case, and if Amazon breaks it they're going to get killed legally for breach of contract. So they can't just unilaterally give away cheap books and foot the cost themselves - the publisher has to be offering that discount. Which brings us to #2.

2. BN still has massive clout with the publishers (look at the recent S&S kerfuffle). If any of the major publishers do decide to go along with Amazon's scheme you can bet your bonnet Bn will get the same deal.

So it's going to be Amazon screwing their self-published authors by auto-signing them up for this service. Much like their lending library is pretty much just KDP and a couple dozen bestsellers they were able to get the rights to so they have something worthwhile to throw on banner ads.

bobstro

Well... it matters if B&N can provide the same!

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

One thing to remember is that owning the hard (or soft) cover book is not enough.

The retailer in question (currently Amazon and hopefully B&N in the future) must have a record of the sale.

So if you bought a book in the store, or bought it online but didn't sign into (or even have) your account, you probably would not be able to participate in the deal.

keriflur
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

One thing to remember is that owning the hard (or soft) cover book is not enough.

The retailer in question (currently Amazon and hopefully B&N in the future) must have a record of the sale.

So if you bought a book in the store, or bought it online but didn't sign into (or even have) your account, you probably would not be able to participate in the deal.

And if you buy HCs from Amazon but read ebooks on an eink nook, now's the time to think about DRM stripping software.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

LarryOnLI wrote:

And if you buy HCs from Amazon but read ebooks on an eink nook, now's the time to think about DRM stripping software.

Yes it is.

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

LarryOnLI wrote:

Calibre + Apprentice Alf = Freedom  :smileyhappy:

Contributor
Yaucolion

DOJ is not going to monitor Amazon. Apple wanted Amazon to stop pricing books at a loss that's why APPLE was the one on trial.

Additionally, authors will not be screwed by MatchBook. On the contrary, they will now sell the ebook AND the print book.

In the end, the customer is the one that wins the most.
bobstro
0 Kudos

Short term, it may be a boon for some customers. Long term is more difficult to say if Amazon is the only one to adapt, and do so by forcing authors and publishers to play along due to their market domination. That said, it's up to publishers (and self-publishing authors) to figure this out while they still have options and control.
flyingtoastr

Yaucolion wrote:
DOJ is not going to monitor Amazon. Apple wanted Amazon to stop pricing books at a loss that's why APPLE was the one on trial.

Additionally, authors will not be screwed by MatchBook. On the contrary, they will now sell the ebook AND the print book.

In the end, the customer is the one that wins the most.

This has nothing to do with Apple's court judgement. It's from the settlement agreements that the publishers came to with the DOJ. Part of the agreement is that no ebook retailer may go quarterly negative for any specific publisher. Amazon can not subsidize their ebook prices to a point that would cause them to go negative or else they get slammed with injunctions and fines. Thus, they have to get the publishers to agree to sell their ebooks at a loss.

The authors get screwed because KDP pays author royalties based on the selling price of the book. If the ebook is selling for $.99 instead of $9.99 they're losing a huge amount of royalties.

What's next?

keriflur
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

The authors get screwed because KDP pays author royalties based on the selling price of the book. If the ebook is selling for $.99 instead of $9.99 they're losing a huge amount of royalties.

What's next?

And this applies self-pubbed authors only, who still hold a modicum of control and can walk away at a whim.  We've no idea what kind of crappy deal Amazon's imprint authors are getting (though I suspect it's equivalent), and they have no control at all.

Contributor
Yaucolion
0 Kudos

The settlement which you speak of does not keep Amazon from selling titles at a loss.  Under the terms of the settlement, Amazon can sell titles below cost so long as all their e-book sales together do not add up to a loss.  Which translates to: They can sell some ebooks at a loss as long as their entire ebook sales don't add up to a loss, and the publisher can't dictate Amazon's sale prices on individual books. No breach of contract incurred, no jail time, no fines, etc.  Jeff Bezos is safe.

As for authors getting screwed by KDP, you are wrong again.  Amazon royalties are 70% on books $2.99 and under.  Traditional publishing royalties are 17-18%.  In order for a traditionally published author to make the same amount in royalties from their books they would have to sell each book for about $11.00.  Whip out your calculator and do the math, and consider that an author will sell many, many more books at $2.99 than at $11.00.   This is why KDP authors are very, very happy with their deals.  

The bottomline is I can get my books cheaper and authors are raking in the dollars.

Additionally, MatchBook would allow publishers and authors to make money out of old books that customers wouldn't even bother to get if it wasn't from this program.  More money in the bank.

I could go on but, my Nook is waiting for me to turn the page.

flyingtoastr
0 Kudos

Yaucolion wrote:

The settlement which you speak of does not keep Amazon from selling titles at a loss.  Under the terms of the settlement, Amazon can sell titles below cost so long as all their e-book sales together do not add up to a loss.  Which translates to: They can sell some ebooks at a loss as long as their entire ebook sales don't add up to a loss, and the publisher can't dictate Amazon's sale prices on individual books. No breach of contract incurred, no jail time, no fines, etc.  Jeff Bezos is safe.

That's exactly what I said.

Reading comprehension. It is hard (apparently).

Contributor
Yaucolion
0 Kudos

It is not what you said.  Amazon CAN sell books at a loss. It just has to show a profit in their entire ebook catalog.  Publishers need not be involved.  So basically Amazon can do what it always did.