Reply
Inspired Scribe
orb9220
Posts: 1,199
Registered: ‎06-16-2010

Amazon debuts Kindle Fire HDX 7- and 8.9-inch tablets

Amazon debuts Kindle Fire HDX 7- and 8.9-inch tablets

 

Wonder if a comparable Nook Device is soon to release?

And as capable?

.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
Posts: 1,762
Registered: ‎09-10-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Amazon debuts Kindle Fire HDX 7- and 8.9-inch tablets

I think we are at the point where more pixels and a faster processor isn't that compelling. If it is sturdy the lighter weights are big. Fairly premium priced, especially since Bears claims they are only breaking even on the devices.
Distinguished Scribe
gb18
Posts: 829
Registered: ‎12-06-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Amazon debuts Kindle Fire HDX 7- and 8.9-inch tablets

[ Edited ]

Boy,  I hope so. However, the Nook HD's are really nice when rooted or CM10.2'ed. But technology always gets better. 

Freedom is not free.
Distinguished Correspondent
lochnez
Posts: 193
Registered: ‎07-02-2010

Re: Amazon debuts Kindle Fire HDX 7- and 8.9-inch tablets

I like my HD+ just the way it is, thank you very much. No rooting or N2A card. Native Nook interface. I've tried the N2A and it's nice, but I kept coming back to Nook. Addition of Google Play makes it perfect for me. And I certainly don't need the latest and greatest. But to each his/her own. I'm sure the new Kindles will be perfect for someone. Now if I could just quit fat fingering this Bluetooth keyboard!! :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
Posts: 1,000
Registered: ‎11-18-2010

Re: Amazon debuts Kindle Fire HDX 7- and 8.9-inch tablets

[ Edited ]

Faster, lighter, more battery.  Nice, but not compelling.  YMMV

 

I have to laugh at the "mayday" button feature.  Are they expecting problems?  Also from Mr. Bezo's letter:


 Kindle Fire HDX also introduces the revolutionary new "Mayday" button. With a single tap, an Amazon expert will appear on your Fire HDX and can co-pilot you through any feature by drawing on your screen, walking you through how to do something yourself, or doing it for you—whatever works best. Mayday is available 24x7, 365 days a year, and it's free.


 

Not sure I would even want the possibility of someone remotely controlling my device.  But that's just me.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
Posts: 1,199
Registered: ‎06-16-2010

Re: Amazon debuts Kindle Fire HDX 7- and 8.9-inch tablets

[ Edited ]

Well would see the Mayday a great solution for those less tech savvy.
Supposed to be 24/7 support and can see many being drawn to that feature.

Like mentioned a tablet to get my attention is a color display with great contrast in sunlight. Half the weight and 2x the battery life will cause my eyes start glowing.

My ole' Nook Color running CM7 gets tiring holding one hand and 7-8 hours is about only 2/3rds of what I actually need in real world use for me.

Kind of wondering whatever happened to Color e-ink as 2 years ago it came across as just around the corner. And was kind of expecting it by now.
.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Distinguished Scribe
gb18
Posts: 829
Registered: ‎12-06-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Amazon debuts Kindle Fire HDX 7- and 8.9-inch tablets


orb9220 wrote:

Well would see the Mayday a great solution for those less tech savvy.
Supposed to be 24/7 support and can see many being drawn to that feature.

Like mentioned a tablet to get my attention is a color display with great contrast in sunlight. Half the weight and 2x the battery life will cause my eyes start glowing.

My ole' Nook Color running CM7 gets tiring holding one hand and 7-8 hours is about only 2/3rds of what I actually need in real world use for me.

Kind of wondering whatever happened to Color e-ink as 2 years ago it came across as just around the corner. And was kind of expecting it by now.
.


Esp. the support as compared to the horror stories on these boards.

Freedom is not free.
flyingtoastr
Posts: 3,035
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975
Registered: ‎11-11-2009

Re: Amazon debuts Kindle Fire HDX 7- and 8.9-inch tablets

The Kindle boards have just as many horror stories. That's what tends to happen on support forums.

 

Welcome to the internet. We have jackets.

Wordsmith
LectorGS
Posts: 453
Registered: ‎04-19-2011

Re: Amazon debuts Kindle Fire HDX 7- and 8.9-inch tablets


flyingtoastr wrote:

The Kindle boards have just as many horror stories. That's what tends to happen on support forums.

 

Welcome to the internet. We have jackets.


The main difference is that in many instances, when someone posts a negative comment about any of the kindle devices, an avalanche of kindle lovers counteract the original poster in such a brutal way that the initial comments fade into oblivion.  

Lector GS
Wordsmith
KingAl
Posts: 549
Registered: ‎11-16-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Amazon debuts Kindle Fire HDX 7- and 8.9-inch tablets


LectorGS wrote:

flyingtoastr wrote:

The Kindle boards have just as many horror stories. That's what tends to happen on support forums.

 

Welcome to the internet. We have jackets.


The main difference is that in many instances, when someone posts a negative comment about any of the kindle devices, an avalanche of kindle lovers counteract the original poster in such a brutal way that the initial comments fade into oblivion.  


I suspect that the same thing would happen here if there were more regular posters.

Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
Posts: 175
Registered: ‎09-17-2013

Re: Amazon debuts Kindle Fire HDX 7- and 8.9-inch tablets

I actually like both devices. They each have their pros and cons. You're right about one thing though, speed isn't really that big of a deal with these. They aren't meant as gaming devices. For me, it's a dedicated eReader first and everything else second. I think just making improvements to the existing software and perhaps making the device lighter would be good. For the Kindle, it would be nice if they had an SD card slot, that would be nice.  But as I said, I think it's all about the software and service that each provides to their device. I also do not need the mayday support although I'm sure some would like it and I never really used the X-Ray feature when I had my Kindle. Pretty much everything I did on the Kindle, i can do on my Nook HD+ with the exception of watching Amazon Prime movies but I didn't do that all that much either. Books, magazine and the occasional tv show which I usually bought; that's pretty much it.  The only real change I'd like to see Nook make is just the way everything is laid out or accessed on the Nook. Not overally crazy about it although no real complaint.  If you're going to give me a pull down menu, then make sure you have WiFi AND Bluetooth on it at least. I don't want to have to dig for those things that get turned on and off regularly.  I do kind of like the screen lay-out but those darn icons move far to easily. I barely touch one and it ends up somewhere else. I need a little but more forceful long press thank you.  Bottom line is, work more on improvements to the software and what you're offering. The in-store experience with Nook could be so much more than what it currently is. If they did more with that, I be in B&N every other day.  :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
LectorGS
Posts: 453
Registered: ‎04-19-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Amazon debuts Kindle Fire HDX 7- and 8.9-inch tablets


KingAl wrote:

LectorGS wrote:

flyingtoastr wrote:

The Kindle boards have just as many horror stories. That's what tends to happen on support forums.

 

Welcome to the internet. We have jackets.


The main difference is that in many instances, when someone posts a negative comment about any of the kindle devices, an avalanche of kindle lovers counteract the original poster in such a brutal way that the initial comments fade into oblivion.  


I suspect that the same thing would happen here if there were more regular posters.


These forums are more open-minded.  Constructive and non-constructive criticism towards anything B&N happens here.  Some of the comments towards the devices and the company itself are sometimes extremely biased and in some cases ill-intentioned.  However, no one is told not to opine, which is what happens in the Kindle discussions forums.  There is only room for a favorable Kindle attitude.  The last time I checked I was told that in this country of ours people are free to express their opinion within the limits of respect.

 

Lector GS
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,710
Registered: ‎01-05-2010

Re: Amazon debuts Kindle Fire HDX 7- and 8.9-inch tablets


ConnieL4193 wrote:

I actually like both devices. They each have their pros and cons. You're right about one thing though, speed isn't really that big of a deal with these. They aren't meant as gaming devices. For me, it's a dedicated eReader first and everything else second.


For you, and for most existing nook owners, yes, reading is first. But I think Amazon is going after more than readers with these.  They do mean for these to be gaming devices. They are going after the iPad, and for the first time I think they may actually have a competitive device.

Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
Posts: 175
Registered: ‎09-17-2013

Re: Amazon debuts Kindle Fire HDX 7- and 8.9-inch tablets

I'd love to see both the Kindle and the Nook do well if for no other reason than to see the almighty iPad fall on its face. I'm not saying it's a bad device. Far from it. But like the iPhone as well, people have totally drank the kool-aid when it comes to apple products.  They're good but for pete's sake's people, LOOK at what's out there. There are so many excellent and outstanding devices that in reality, Apple has MANY competotors. It's just that people aren't willing to invest the time to check them all out and would rather just go out and get what everyone else has because it's "cool".  I will admit on occasion that I do that but even "my" cool devices are only cool to a certain group of people.  While many are buying the iPhone and Galaxy S4 (another excellent phone), I bought the Lumia 1020 (just something about those live tiles :smileyhappy: not to mention that gorgeous camera). While many are out buying the iPad and the Nexus, I'm getting the Nook HD+ because it does what i need and because it's main focus is on media consumption. I don't need all the other stuff. I certainly don't take pictures with my tablet (Hey, I got that 41mp camera phone, remember?).  So B&N, keep improving the software on this nice new Nook of mine and I will continue to be perfectly happy with it.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,710
Registered: ‎01-05-2010

Re: Amazon debuts Kindle Fire HDX 7- and 8.9-inch tablets


ConnieL4193 wrote:

I'd love to see both the Kindle and the Nook do well if for no other reason than to see the almighty iPad fall on its face. I'm not saying it's a bad device. Far from it. But like the iPhone as well, people have totally drank the kool-aid when it comes to apple products.  They're good but for pete's sake's people, LOOK at what's out there. There are so many excellent and outstanding devices that in reality, Apple has MANY competotors. It's just that people aren't willing to invest the time to check them all out and would rather just go out and get what everyone else has because it's "cool".  I will admit on occasion that I do that but even "my" cool devices are only cool to a certain group of people.  While many are buying the iPhone and Galaxy S4 (another excellent phone), I bought the Lumia 1020 (just something about those live tiles :smileyhappy: not to mention that gorgeous camera). While many are out buying the iPad and the Nexus, I'm getting the Nook HD+ because it does what i need and because it's main focus is on media consumption. I don't need all the other stuff. I certainly don't take pictures with my tablet (Hey, I got that 41mp camera phone, remember?).  So B&N, keep improving the software on this nice new Nook of mine and I will continue to be perfectly happy with it.


Have you ever owned an iPad?  I'm not going to advocate for Apple, and I agree about the fanboys and the kool-aid drinking, but I have to say, I've got both an iPad and an Android tablet and I prefer the iPad by a significant margin.  This is mainly because the apps developed for it that I use are better than the apps developed for Android (same makers and everything, but the iOS apps are better).  The interface is easy to use - I can get done what I need to faster and with less hassle.

 

Yes, Apple has a lot of fanboys who just trash other companies and generally act like jerks, and Apple as a company is pretty darn jerkish also (tho no more than Amazon), but there is also a quiet segment of the market who has tried everything out there and still chose the iPad. Maybe you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss those folks.

Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
Posts: 175
Registered: ‎09-17-2013

Re: Amazon debuts Kindle Fire HDX 7- and 8.9-inch tablets

[ Edited ]

You are probably right. Both of my older sisters own iPads and swear by them so let me just reword what I was saying. Apple makes excellent products. No complaint there. I guess myabe my main issue with them is that they tend to trash everyone else to promote their own product. It also reminds me of a commercial I seen (I think it was a spoof) of a journalist interviewing someone waiting in one of those long lines to get a new iPhone. When he asked her a series of questions about why she would wait in line for one and what was so good about it, the typical answers were things like, "because it's cool", "because all my friends have one" or "because I can like, text really fast on it". Really? Sounds crazy but in actuality, a lot of people buy them for those very reasons. Now if you made your argument based on what you told me along with such things as you love itunes, you really prefer Apples infrastructure and support and things of that nature, THEN I could take it more serious. But ok, I'll give it to you they're a good device. I guess my main problem with them (just my opinion of course) is that I find the row upon row of icons VERY boring. I know it works good but geez people, I need to NOT be bored while I'm looking cool.  :smileytongue:

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,710
Registered: ‎01-05-2010

Re: Amazon debuts Kindle Fire HDX 7- and 8.9-inch tablets


ConnieL4193 wrote:

Now if you made your argument based on what you told me along with such things as you love itunes, you really prefer Apples infrastructure and support and things of that nature, THEN I could take it more serious.


Well, I hate itunes, don't use Apple's infrastructure, and have never needed to call support, so...

 

I like what the device does for me.  I personally don't need any other reason to like the device (I've never been one to care about what's cool or popular), and I've no desire to convert you or anyone else to Apple fandom.  I just object to the idea that everyone who likes them is a fanboy, or dumb, etc., or that the device is bad simply because a lot of obnoxious people say it's great.

Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
Posts: 175
Registered: ‎09-17-2013
0 Kudos

Re: Amazon debuts Kindle Fire HDX 7- and 8.9-inch tablets

You're absolutely right and even that is better than buying it because everyone else is. Sometimes a device is just "right" for you and you don't really know exactly why, just that it is.