Contributor
Queens_Taino
0 Kudos

Android for Nook sd card

Exceptional Value and Excellent Customer Service!

I ordered this card Monday afternoon, it shipped Tuesday morning and by Thursday evening I had a fully functioning android tablet. :smileyvery-happy:

I had a question about my shipment and received a reply almost instantly......Now that's customer service!

Besides the best price in its class,  this card also offers free updates for one year. 

Your search for a dual-boot micro sd card is OVER, just click purchase and ENJOY! 

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/7274760-queenstaino

Wordsmith
PJLLB
0 Kudos

Re: Android for Nook sd card

I totally agree.

Inspired Correspondent
Eustace2
0 Kudos

Plus 1.  AFN has made my NT into a great tablet that I use all the time. 

"With Android for Nook, I am a real tablet." The Nook Pinocchio.
Contributor
SarahNade
0 Kudos

I just ordered mine!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Rignes
0 Kudos

I have one too and it's great so far.  I just got it and am learning the ropes as I've never worked with full Android before.  My current hang up is moving Angry Birds progress from the stock Nook Tablet to a A for N card.  Anyone try this?

I'm beginning to think I may just have to suck it up and start over again as multiple searches and posts have come up dry. :smileysad:

Inspired Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

Hi all,

How can I get one of these cards? 

Lector GS
Distinguished Correspondent
Czechboy
0 Kudos

LectorGS wrote:

Hi all,

How can I get one of these cards? 

Here's one of several sites that offer the pre made cards.  Or, if you choose, you can download the Android image and put it on your own SD card.  This has been a very popular site of late, and one of the biggest benefits is the customer service that they offer... good luck.

http://www.androidfornook.com/index.html

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
Inspired Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

Thank you, Czechboy

Lector GS
Correspondent
Temetka

I am sure these cards are wonderful. That being said...

I originally bought my Nook Color because it could be hacked to run full Android and I wanted to try this whole tablet scene but didn't have much money to spend on a toy (or what I thought was going to be a toy). $500 for a decent tablet was out of the question. Keep in mind that this was around 18 months ago. So I spent months researching various 7" tablets, reading articles, visiting forums and going to stores to play around with various models. It didn't take me long to settle on the Nook Color as being the obvious choice for me. You see I have been reading e-books for years. I started out reading them on my old Handspring Visor (the first time I read "The Call of Cthulu" literally sent chills down my spine) and moved from device to device.

So with the tax return from 2010 I was authorized by She Who Controls the Funds to purchase a Nook Color since I had been talking about wanting one for months. So the day came and I finally got one. Oh man I was ecstatic! I could read e-books on a nice sized screen, and I could run apps, browse the web, listen music and watch video's. It was a whole new world for me. This is kind of sad as I am an IT Professional but dealing with Windows networks all day I really didn't have the time to get into Android. However my inner geek soon got the better of me.

I started digging around and soon came across Nook Dev's where I learned how to soft root or auto-nooter my Nook. Then I discovered XDA Developers and have been there ever since. Fast forward a year and I now have a Nook Color, a Nook Tablet, a Nook Simple Touch and a Thinkpad Slate Tablet. Now that I have a legitimate full 10" tablet, my need for full Android has been sated. I am quite content with my Nook Tablet as it stands now.

It is running the stock OS rooted. I have access to all my B&N content, the Amazon app store and Google play. However I use it 90% of the time to read e-books. I really do love my Nook Tablet and my Nook Color. I am very glad that there are resources out there to allow the more technically challenged, or too busy people the ability to run the full Android OS on in what IMO is one the best 7" tablets on the market.

I am not sure now where I was going with this post, but there it is. :smileyhappy:

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. - Voltaire

“If there were no God, it would have been necessary to invent him.” - Voltaire
Reisnice
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Temetka, I'm with you. I've been reading ebooks since my Handspring Visor. I broke down a couple weeks ago and bought a download of AndroidForNook, mostly just to play with. I could afford it at that price. I like being able to work with a tablet, but I have to agree that the experience is still more 'reading on a tablet' than having an ebook reader. The Nook OS still needs some work, but it gives you a reader feel even though you're reading on a tablet. If BN would have continued to let me run the apps I needed, like Citrix to get into work, and a few others, I would have still bought the Android card to play, but I wouldn't have felt that I needed to. And at least I have an ereader where I could plug in a card to do that, unlike some others.
Contributor
aikiboy
0 Kudos

I'm running an n2a card, works like a champ.  The Nook Reader for android which is available is, oddly, better than the one that come on the NT with the original B&N system.  Don't know what they were thinking.

Contributor
Queens_Taino
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, you'll have to restart your game on the android side.  :smileymad:  The good news is - its free!  I got angry birds space & rio - full versions free.  :smileyvery-happy:   Yet with both b&n and apple, it costs 99 cents. 

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/7274760-queenstaino

northlite
0 Kudos

aikiboy wrote:

I'm running an n2a card, works like a champ.  The Nook Reader for android which is available is, oddly, better than the one that come on the NT with the original B&N system.  Don't know what they were thinking.

I totally agree! I read on the n2a side all the time, especially at night. The app on the Nook side has a gray background in night mode and is too light. It bugs me to read in the dark on it...the Android app has a totally black background on night mode and seems much easier on the eyes.

My Nook Touch is named Buzz Lightyear! Together we go to infinity and beyond! B&N, please restore the ability to name our Nooks!
New User
LG59
0 Kudos

Maybe this goes without saying, but can this card be used with the regular, basic Nook? I'm not very tech-savvy. Someone bought me the Nook and said I would be able to download library books with it, but it doesn't seem to be so. Thanks for any help!

Inspired Contributor
logdog
0 Kudos

LG59 wrote:

Maybe this goes without saying, but can this card be used with the regular, basic Nook? I'm not very tech-savvy. Someone bought me the Nook and said I would be able to download library books with it, but it doesn't seem to be so. Thanks for any help!

Cards are only available for the Nook Color and Nook Tablets.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

LG59 wrote:

If by "basic Nook" you mean the NOOK Color, then no. There are versions of bootable uSD cards for the NOOK Tablet and the NOOK Color, but they are not interchangeable.

If by "basic Nook" you mean the NOOK Simple Touch, then no. There is no equivalent, though you can root the device. It is not as risk free as rooting the NC or NT, however.

roustabout
0 Kudos

IMO, you're more likely to bork an NT pretty badly than a Simple Touch as you take a run at rooting it.  And the great thing with the Simple Touch is that you can easily make a complete backup before you start, something that's a challenge to do with the NT or NC (not impossible, but harder.)

On the other hand, the bootable cards are pretty bulletproof, if that's what you meant by rooting it - but for me, rooting the device is getting permanent root access to the stock OS rather than booting off the card. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
bobstro

roustabout wrote:

IMO, you're more likely to bork an NT pretty badly than a Simple Touch as you take a run at rooting it. 

I've quit fighting B&N on the NT, but I was under the impression that you could always get back to a factory default state, whereas the NST had unique identifier info that you could wipe out if you weren't careful and failed to make that all-important initial backup.

I've been spoiled by the ruggedness of the NC. Although B&N no doubt rues the day, they designed a truly bullet-proof device that should be a model for modern embedded products. I had a 60 inch TV fail an update recently, and Samsung had to dispatch a tech to replace a board! They should've copied the "8 failed boots" restore-to-factory failsafe from B&N!

roustabout
0 Kudos

Bob notes "I've quit fighting B&N on the NT, but I was under the impression that you could always get back to a factory default state, whereas the NST had unique identifier info that you could wipe out if you weren't careful"

You can indeed get an NT back to default.  I haven't pulled apart the recovery image on the NST to see what lives inside it - my impression with the NST is that it is possible to restore the wrong info to the device, but I'm not 100% on what happens if you blow away everything but the recovery image.

I've blackscreened or the equivalen the NST (when I first started fiddling with the partition table), the NC (when I was first looking at rooting) and the NT (again, first time fiddling the partition table.) 

The NST was surprisingly rugged - I inadvertently swapped the filesystem types on partitions 7 and 8 (I was on a conference call and also digging around, and suddenly the call went from being unrelated to my work to being all about my work) and the device went through several boot cycles but ultimately was reparable without my intervening.  I did need to reimage it to get back to baseline later, but for some time I left well enough alone and it mostly worked. 

The NC blackscreened and for a time would only run from an SDcard, until I sorted out reinstalling the interal OS with CWR.  The NT was far and away the most resistant to repair, but I was ultimately able to cobble together the tools I needed to viably boot it.

What I really like about the NST and I haven't seen for the others is the noogie disk which lets me inspect all of the partitions on the device without there being an OS around that takes commands from me (and mounts the partitions on its own.)  Being able to dd the entire internal disk to a backup location is most excellent.  When I've tried that with NCs using boot cards, I had the impression that by default some of the internal partitions were getting mounted and thus weren't available for fiddling with. 

It certainly doesn't mean there isn't a way to do that, just that the noogie disk, which is one of the first tools I come across when I look for guides to rooting the touch family, does that and the guides are all pretty clear that "now would be a really, really good time to back up your device" 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
cattie2thecat

I got my card yesterday!!!!