Contributor
Beck903

Another week of worthless apps

[ Edited ]

No new music player.  No new video player.  No VCE viewer.  No Facebook.  No Google docs.  No Weather Channel.  No Wikipedia.  No Youtube.  No WSJ.  No Pintrest.  No IMDB.  No Skype.  Etc...  Basically NOTHING anyone has been asking for as far as I can see.  But, hey, we did get a new app for Bible verses because we certainly didn't have enough of those already so I guess I shouldn't complain.  I was also going to commend B&N for not releasing another fart noise app but then I saw Burp Factory.  And what's up with all the children's apps??  Are 5 year old the target demographic for the Nook Tablet?  We also got a new browser.  How many is that now?  4?  Is anyone using anything except Dolphin anyway??

To make matters even worse, none of the apps appear to have any descriptions!  Crappy apps with no descriptions!  Is that really what we can expect every week?  B&N has gotten lazy and seems to have given up on this process completely. 

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa

Re: Another week of worthless apps

[ Edited ]

No new music player?  Stitcher Smart Radio and Soundtracker Radio  released this week

No new video player?  Clip Cartel

Facebook, Weather Channel, Wikipedia, Pinterest, IMDB: Are you seriously having trouble using any of the 4 browsers for these?

I'll give you the Youtube request because web vids do perform better through an app.

Just because you don't have kids or aren't a kid yourself does not mean that there isn't a market for that.  And if you are either of those, then why are you complaining? I think it would be ridiculous for them to add things like Skype, VCE, and google docs.  See what I did there? I'll spare you the religious debate over the Bible complaint.

There are exponentially more browsers in the other markets, and B&N is terrible for having the gigantic amount of 4?

I agree that it's bad form to post incomplete info upon release date such as no descriptions or screenshots online and randomly taking away NC suport (World of Goo, I'm looking at you)

Contributor
fkm71
0 Kudos

I feel your pain.  All of the complaints about the music player included by default and we still are stuck with it.  I am not always online.  I have a 32GB SD card that I put my music on.  I will not listen to that music on my NT because the default music player app is horrendous.  I haven't really tried the video player as I assume it is just as bad as the music player.

By the way, I understand your comments regarding the kids apps.  I DO have kids but the NT is mine.  I don't want or need kids apps.  However, I don't mind the kids apps as long as there is a balance of other apps I do want/like.  

Frequent Contributor
Irishelf
0 Kudos

Not only have most of the apps released in the past 30 days, one of the few that were good had only a free trial version that you can't pay to upgrade even if you wanted to (Virtual City). And what's up eith the limited Plants vs Zombies-only 1 mode and a few mini-games? And it costs $5!? Ridiculous!
Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, this isn't the first time they've released apps without descriptions. I think it may be the longest they've gone before adding them though. B&N's attitude towards its app store really confuses me.

Frequent Contributor
kalmore
0 Kudos

I see a pattern wth B&N. Each week theres always 1 good app within the pile of litter. Like twitter or stitcher, etc... I really hate this pattern, but I guess this is how B&N works... Also an official Pinterest App hasn't even been released for Android yet so I doubt B&N Would get that.

Youtube, Facebook, etc.. I believe work better through application versions.

Nook Reader (Tablet) - 4.1.2 SD (Unfunctional)

Contributor
Beck903

Schwa wrote:

No new music player?  Stitcher Smart Radio and Soundtracker Radio  released this week

No new video player?  Clip Cartel

Facebook, Weather Channel, Wikipedia, Pinterest, IMDB: Are you seriously having trouble using any of the 4 browsers for these?

I'll give you the Youtube request because web vids do perform better through an app.

Just because you don't have kids or aren't a kid yourself does not mean that there isn't a market for that.  And if you are either of those, then why are you complaining? I think it would be ridiculous for them to add things like Skype, VCE, and google docs.  See what I did there? I'll spare you the religious debate over the Bible complaint.

There are exponentially more browsers in the other markets, and B&N is terrible for having the gigantic amount of 4?

I agree that it's bad form to post incomplete info upon release date such as no descriptions or screenshots online and randomly taking away NC suport (World of Goo, I'm looking at you)

I think you misunderstood what I meant by "music player".  Stitcher and Soundtracker, from what I can gather from other sites because B&N hasn't bothered posting descriptions of the new apps yet, are not for playing music from my personal collection.  That isn't to say they are without value, but they are not music players in that sense.  I want to listen to my music, not radio broadcasts.

The same goes for Clip Cartel.  I want a video player that I can use to watch movies or tv shows.  Clip Cartel does not do that.

I'm not having any trouble using Dolphin for Facebook, Weather Channel, Wikipedia, Pinterest, or IMDB, but each of those, with the exception of Pinterest, has an official app in the Android Marketplace.  Pinterest has an unofficial one.  Why can't I be given the choice of app vs. browser when I want to use those things?  Maybe this wouldn't be a huge issue of there were tons of other useful apps to chose from but we both know that isn't the case.

I never said there wasn't a market or a demand for kid's apps.  I fully understand their value.  However, to piggyback off what I said above, the ratio of kids apps to useful adult apps is rather lopsided at present.  And what's wrong with Skype, VCE, or google docs?  You think it's ridiculous so I should forget about it?  I think Skype would be an incredible app for the NT.  It isn't any more ridiculous on the NT than on any other non-computer device.  VCE and google docs aren't a huge deal; definitely not on par with Skype, but since they have apps in the Android Marketplace it would be nice to see them for the NT.  Regarding the bible/religious apps, I wasn't trying to start a debate.  If you happen to be religious please don't take my comment as an assault on your beliefs.  I point was only that the apps I mentioned above could take the place of the stream of religious and children's apps for a couple weeks and the NT would be much more useful.

I'm not unappreciative of the number of browser options, I would just like to see the same applied to other apps.  Three or four choices are nice to have.  The reason I made the comment about this week's new browser is because Dolphin seems to provide everything anyone wants so I didn't see the need for another one just a few weeks later. 

Distinguished Correspondent
Czechboy

Beck903 wrote:

The same goes for Clip Cartel.  I want a video player that I can use to watch movies or tv shows.  Clip Cartel does not do that.

Have you given the MovieGallery app a try?  It's not new, but it is a really nice app that works the way you might expect it to.  The same developer also has a program (for pc) to create movie files for all sorts of specific devices (nook tablet and color being two) from DVD.  I'm assuming you're talking about watching your own videos from sd card?

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

Five days later and the newest apps still don't have descriptions? Really? If I were one of the developers, I'd be a bit upset with B&N right about now.

Reader
jmrdv
0 Kudos

Thousands of toys but no true contact apps that sync

HOW about just going back to letting us sideload android apps and be done with this nonsense. NOt being able to truly sync info to windows is frustration itself . Enough of the kids games and nonsene lists.