Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Any Idea What Will Happen To Content We Already Own?

[ Edited ]

gb18 wrote:
Or just do a web search for "keriflur"

So I don't think I've ever googled my handle before.  It's interesting what comes up, since I only use this handle here and on Flickr. 

I was fully entertained to see that an image search of "keriflur" brings up a bunch of photos from my Flickr feed and... pictures of Bobstro's hands.  :smileysurprised:

No wonder Deesy thinks we're the same person!

Frequent Contributor
gritsgal

bobstro wrote:

"Gritsgal, you might want to look into a bit more anecdotal evidence that will show that Keri's writes YA fiction."

Yes Keri Schneider writes or is writing a YA novel, her blog isn't clear whether it is still a work in progress. As far as I can tell none of her written work has ever been published, or if it has it is not being sold on Amazon or BN 2 major outlets for published written novels. Perhaps if she spent less time posting on message boards and more time actually writing she would be published.

She is 37 yrs. old so I was wrong about her age. I had assumed from her writing that she was much younger. Her complete inability to follow my train of thought and her continued misinterpretation of my posts gave that impression. 

Anyway, after a fairly prolonged process I have been given the information I need so that can back up my content against loss. I do want to thank some of the contributers to this thread, in particular mercury_glitch.

bobstro

[ Edited ]

As I wrote, "writes". You sure went about finding some basic information out the hard way. 

And now my secret life as a designer of high tech device accessories has been revealed! Oh no! 

Inspired Scribe
kamas716

Responses to Content questions

Gritsgal wrote: Because very often people refuse to accept the possibility of unpleasant outcomes. The downfall of Kodak and GM are perfect examples of this. 

You want a comparable model to BN? Try Circuit City. Not the same, but close. Best Buy? Right in the mix.

If you are trying to imply my '84 Sunbird quit working when GM pulled the plug on it's Pontiac line I've go news for you.  Same with all those tapes/CD's I purchased at Circuit City and Best Buy.  Just because a company or division of a company goes out of business doesn't mean the products they sold are necessarily defunct.  Unless B&N sends out an update that bricks every Nook device (if they did, I predict considerable litigation) your device will continue working.

Gritsgal wrote:  "Will Nook owners still be able to get content if BN gets out of the digital world? Maybe, for a while through the Play Store, or library, or direct from some publishers. Eventually that will go away as well."

Your current Nook reads .epub format.  The content you already have on it from B&N will continue to work.  The content you get from another vendor that utilizes Adobe ADEPT DRM, such as Google, Sony, Kobo, etc., will continue to work.  Any content in .epub format you get without DRM will work.  Unless the publishers decide to change format (possible, though unlikely in the foreseeable future as .epub is the worlds standard-and largest format) you will continue to be able to purchase content for your Nook device.

Gritsgal wrote: "BTW, you dont "own" any of the content. You've purchased a license to "use" the content. This is true of ALL the vendors ( Amazon, Apple, Google"

If this is true I am dismayed. One of the reasons I purchased a Nook originally was that I was assured, repeatedly, that unlike the Amazon ereader, once I purchased a Nook book from BN I owned it. Just like I would with a "real" copy. If that is not the case I am disappointed. When I purchased the NookHD+ for myself, my wife, and my daughter and later my mother and father in law I was assured that movies, tv shows, etc. that they purchased and downloaded were theirs forever in BN cloud. They owned it just like they would if they purchased a DVD."

You were either misinformed or you misunderstood.  While the FAQ may say you'll always have access to it, the Terms And Conditions say otherwise.

XII. DIGITAL CONTENT

...Barnes & Noble.com grants you a limited, nonexclusive, revocable license to access and make personal, non-commercial use of the Digital Content in accordance with these Terms of Use...

...Barnes & Noble.com reserves the right to modify or discontinue the offering of any Digital Content at any time. If a unit of Digital Content becomes unavailable prior to download but after purchase, your sole and exclusive remedy is the refund of the purchase price paid for such Digital Content. Some Digital Content may not remain available for re-download from your NOOK Library, if for example, the publisher of the Digital Content no longer retains the rights or other licenses, consents or permissions to that Digital Content. Digital Content already downloaded to your device[s] will not be affected...

NO vendor can sell a product for which they don't have the rights to.  Once the rights expire (revert to the copyright holder) the ability to redownload content you have 'purchased' comes down to what was in the contract (and sometimes if not specified in the contract, the whims of the copyright holder).  This is true for ALL vendors.  So, back up your 'purchases'.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 519
Solutions: 40
0 Kudos

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 519
Solutions: 40
0 Kudos

Re: Responses to Content questions

Frequent Contributor
Markj

I was reading thru these postings when I heard a helicopter overhead. Looking out the window I saw a fleet of black helicopters with the Nook logo on them. Men in black ninja suits are rappeling down now. What's that loud banging on my front door?  OMG They're here and                  

Frequent Contributor
Markj

Please disregard the previous posting by Mark Johnson. He is suffering from a fever and we have taken him into care. After some counseling and training he will be just fine. Please disregard his message.

Agent Smith, NSA

MacMcK1957

Nook Security Agency?
Frequent Contributor
Markj
0 Kudos

Heh Heh
Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This thread has really been fun to watch, even more than some.

Freedom is not free.
bobstro
0 Kudos

Dang, gb18, I think that's the longest I've seen you write outside of a URL! Some good has come of all this after all.

Distinguished Correspondent
sparky_80
0 Kudos

gb18 wrote:

This thread has really been fun to watch, even more than some.

Lately, it seems that all the threads here take the same path.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716

It seems really hard for a thread to stay on topic past about 2 pages.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716