Correspondent
lindajm22
0 Kudos

Re: Any one actually get their $5 credit?

MG, they are on the screen itself, not the lights under the top edge, but I cannot see the holes if I look straight at the screen, I have to tilt it quite a bit in order to see them.  It was so disappointing when I first noticed them.  My replacement has one single hole and the original NGL that I bought on Friday had two holes together and one on another part of the screen.  I can't really notice the one on my current unit all that much, but I don't want it to get worse.  To make matters worse, this second one has already frozen up once, the first night I had it.  I couldn't do anything, even turn it off.  Eventually it rebooted on it's own and it is working fine now but I'm concerned about the freezing.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Odd, I'll ask around and see if I can't dig up any information on that, if you could post a picture it may help though given the circumstances of the issue I can see how that may be problematic.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Correspondent
lindajm22
0 Kudos

I am quite certain it would be impossible to get a picture of the screen imperfection.  I think I might try for a third unit.  It's the same kind of bright spot on the screen that others were complaining about on the NSTG.

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

Should be real easy to get a photo if it is the same problem, the issue was very noticeable and there are plenty of pictures online with a quick search.

I'm not saying this didn't happen to you but I would be interested in seeing pictures myself.  As far as I was aware that particular issue with the NSTG was prevalent in the first run devices only (a manufactuing defect)  and most instances after that were from impact damage.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Schwa wrote:

Should be real easy to get a photo if it is the same problem, the issue was very noticeable and there are plenty of pictures online with a quick search.

I'm not saying this didn't happen to you but I would be interested in seeing pictures myself.  As far as I was aware that particular issue with the NSTG was prevalent in the first run devices only (a manufactuing defect)  and most instances after that were from impact damage.

With the NSTG the holes could be seen easily looking at the screen dead on, so it was easy to lay the Nook flat and get pictures.  With the issue described here the NGL has to be tilted to some angle for the holes to become visable.  Which makes it harder to line a picture up. 

I am curious just how much the screen needs to be tilted.  So far I haven't had any 'I've seen this issue' responses from the folks I've asked.  Not saying it's not happening, just curious about the details so we can try and replicate it.

Correspondent
lindajm22
0 Kudos

The angle had to be almost looking across the surface to be able to see them. I could not see them looking straight at the screen. They were definitely there but I do not have a camera good enough to pick up such a tiny little spot, especially at an angle. I knew what they were because I had to return my first NSTG for the same problem. I had only had the first NGL for less than 24 hours before I noticed it over the weekend, and the second one I noticed as soon as I turned it on because I was looking for it. I returned that one tonight and I haven't seen any holes in this third one. Oh, and tonight I have a third $5 gift card. Weird.
keriflur
0 Kudos

lindajm22 wrote:
Oh, and tonight I have a third $5 gift card. Weird.

Maybe you can just consider it $5 for your trouble.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

The credit is showing up because they are new SN's that aren't tied to refurbished devices.  The system essentially sees you getting a new device.  I doubt they'll fix this any time soon.  However going in to stores to swap out devices repeatedly will likely result in questions from those stores.

Correspondent
lindajm22
0 Kudos

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

The credit is showing up because they are new SN's that aren't tied to refurbished devices.  The system essentially sees you getting a new device.  I doubt they'll fix this any time soon.  However going in to stores to swap out devices repeatedly will likely result in questions from those stores.

I certainly don't want to keep swapping out brand new devices.  I think I had legitimate concerns with the first two I purchased.  This third one seems to be just fine with none of the same problems so far.  Those glow holes are a problem and they knew exactly what I was talking about when I went in both times.  And the second one froze a couple of times too.  In my opinion, not acceptable for a brand new device.  I hope I have a winner this time because I really love this thing.
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

lindajm22 wrote:

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

I certainly don't want to keep swapping out brand new devices.  I think I had legitimate concerns with the first two I purchased.  This third one seems to be just fine with none of the same problems so far.  Those glow holes are a problem and they knew exactly what I was talking about when I went in both times.  And the second one froze a couple of times too.  In my opinion, not acceptable for a brand new device.  I hope I have a winner this time because I really love this thing.

Sorry, certainly didn't mean you in particular, I was talking the general you.  If a device isn't doing what it should be, or isn't what you paid for, then yes taking it back is the right thing.

Correspondent
lindajm22
0 Kudos

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

Sorry, certainly didn't mean you in particular, I was talking the general you.  If a device isn't doing what it should be, or isn't what you paid for, then yes taking it back is the right thing.

No worries :smileyhappy:  I'm just glad this last unit seems to be without problems.  Happy reading!

Contributor
Nook_User
0 Kudos

My $5 credit arrived minutes after I registered my new Glowlight.

I didn't even B&N was giving out $5 credits for early adopters until I checked my email.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

It's actually to anyone who buys a Nook.  They did a lot of research and found out people liked incentives to buy a Nook like getting a free book, but not when they were picked from a select list.  It seems that after the purchase these incentives can become stricter (such as the buy one get one on the weekends).  Likely because it's every weekend so the odds of them getting somethings they want for free are rather good.

Contributor
rbrenart
0 Kudos

Well, something clearly got messed up with mine. But, they made it right and just gave me a $5 gift card. Hassle, but at least it's taken care of so no complaints.
Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

I have made a few purchases and thought I had used it. I just got an email reminding me to use it by the 30th. I made purchases on my iPad but through my B&N account. What do you have to do to use it?
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

On your NGL, or any Nook, go to preferences - shop (some nooks need a few more steps, but I trust you know how to get there), then tap 'manage gift cards'.  That'll show if you've used it.

You may have missed the conversations about needed to remove old gift cards before the 5$ credit is used as it acts as a gift card.  As long as you have the physical cards it's easy to re-add them. 

Edit-

Just for sake of clarity, you shouldn't need to do anything special aside from buy a book or magazine or app (for the HDs).  It should automatically apply the credit toward the first purchase.  Subscriptions may act differently, they have in the past been odd with gift cards.

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

Thank you Mercury. I appreciate all the help you give and so promptly. Yes I checked and the $5 gift credit is still there. I have no other cards and my purchases have been books. The gift card just hasn't been applied.
Mercury_Glitch

I sleep in shifts of 20 minutes :smileywink:

Odd that it's not used the card.  I'd suggest making your next purchase using the Nook rather than the iPad.  It's possible that's causing an issue, though it shouldn't.  Alternatively you could contact 1-800-the-book, though I'm not sure they'd be able to do anything since generally offering refunds on purchases just generates a gift card credit.  If buying something on the Nook doesn't trigger the credit I would call and ask about it, since that would seem to indicate something is wrong.

It's also important to note that it can take up to an hour for the credit to update, though it's usually less.  I don't think that's the issue in your case, since you've made purchases plural. 

Unfortunately going to a local store wouldn't help much, aside from that the Nook expert would call store support and that group is sometimes better at handling oddities like this.  We just don't have the sort of access or tools at the store level to address the issue. 

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

I thought this promotion had passed before last Friday so I was expecting nothing, but after my Discovery Friday purchase (NSTG gift and new NG for me) I received, this morning, an email saying the $5 was in my account and would expire Nov. 30.

I don't want to appear greedy :smileyembarrassed:, but someone earlier mentioned that the $5 was for anyone who bought a NOOK, not just the NG specifically.  Is another $5 going to show up in my account for the NSTG purchase?  Just curious. I never turn down "free book money" to feed my habit!

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

The credit has the following criteria

1) A purchase of a new Nook (not a new release Nook, just can't buy a refurbished Nook which have on occasion been available through the website I think).

2) Registering that Nook

So if you bought a NSTG and NGL and registered both of them you should get 5$ credits for each Nook.  However if you only register the one device then you only get the one 5$ credit.

The credit expires in 5 days, but that timer only starts ticking from the time it's given so once you register the device.