Reader
eddiesgal
0 Kudos

Anyone can help with Email App feature?

I know we are All excited on the new apps. However, I need help with the email app.  I don't know the difference between the POP and IMAP, security type, port, etc that is required. Thank you.

Inspired Contributor
trishamil
0 Kudos

Re: Anyone can help with Email App feature?

I'm really bad at this too, but I'll try to help.  In my experience, the IMAP email is sort of like the cloud based email service like hot mail, and gmail (my yahoo will not set up, but I think that's a Yahoo thing).  Anyway, my home computer email, like roadrunner is a Pop).  You may need to go into your computer's email account and get the settings information.  I know that I needed to contact Time Warner for the settings on my mobile phone. 

When I set my Mac mail & Gmail up on my NC, all I had to do was type my email address & password.  The NC did the rest.

I hope someone who really knows what they are talking about fills in...Like I said, I'm not very good at this.

Inspired Correspondent
W8WCA

What email service are you trying to setup?

With a bit of information someone here can probably help.

for Pop the 'std' ports are:

pop (incoming) 110

smtp (outgoing) 25

Some services require different types of authorization.

ssl pop port is usually port 995

For IMAP:

incoming 143

incoming with ssl 993

Outgoing 25

Come by and Visit ClubNook!

Cheers Charlie
Contributor
brucer42
0 Kudos

If you tell us what service you are trying to connect to (We don't need your email address, just what's after the '@'), we can probably help you.

Contributor
sundawg
0 Kudos

I am having difficulty trying to set up my   @telus.net account. ( a POP account ). Any help there?

Sundawg

Contributor
henhowc

[ Edited ]

POP and IMAP are two different types of ways you can access your e-mail.

POP is an older (outdated in many people's opinion) method of accessing your e-mail. When you use POP you are basically just downloading your e-mail off the server and directly to the device. With POP you can only access your Inbox folder.

IMAP is a method of accessing your mail on the server where you can manipulate your messages on the server and have it reflected universally. This is usually the recommended method if you are accessing your mailbox from multiple devices as your mail will always be consistent between computers. The one drawback to IMAP is that you have to have an active internet connection to be able to access your e-mail.

Here's a good overview from Gmail about how it might affect your workflow:

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2008/05/getting-gmail-anywhere-imap-versus-pop.html

It would help if you posted who your e-mail service provider is (i.e. @Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.). Most providers will have easy how-to instructions somewhere on their website.

I am having difficulty trying to set up my   @telus.net account. ( a POP account ). Any help there?

Sundawg

I highly recommend that you use IMAP. But these look like the settings you need:

http://telus.com/portalWeb/inlineLink/CP_SCS/Help/Internet_Help/Email_and_Spam/FAQ_Main/Email_Client...

If you do choose to use POP you probably want to make sure that you select the option to "leave mail on server" otherwise you'll be downloading all of your e-mails on your NookColor and won't be able to access them from anywhere else without some extra legwork.

Inspired Correspondent
MattFL
0 Kudos

sundawg wrote:

Sundawg

POP email settings:

• Domain name: telus.net
  • Server type = POP3
  • Incoming (POP) server = pop.telus.net
  • Outgoing (SMTP) server = smtp.telus.net

IMAP email settings:

• Domain name: telus.net
  • Server type = IMAP
  • Incoming (IMAP) server = imap.telus.net
  • Outgoing (SMTP) server = smtp.telus.ne

I don't know if your account is configured for POP or IMAP, so there's both.

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

If you don't know your specific ISP setup either look at your current email client (outlook, outlook express or whatever) and see what settings you are using or go to the ISP website and you should fine the settings there.

Contributor
sundawg
0 Kudos

My present account is a POP account. I have tried to configure the NC to receive my email

by both POP and IMAP, using the details that exist in my present Telus Account. I have no

trouble receiving gmail, but cannot connect using Telus.net.

Anyoneout there using Telus?

Inspired Correspondent
W8WCA

[ Edited ]

You might have to use yourusername@telus.net instead of just yourusername

In the setup

Come by and Visit ClubNook!

Cheers Charlie
Frequent Contributor
Puppy_Dad
0 Kudos

Can't connect to Yahoo Free mail

I am trying to connect to my Yahoo mail program,  The auto program doesn't work and manual setup can't not connect to the server.  I use mail.yahoo.com SSL and port 465 or 993
Frequent Contributor
Puppy_Dad
0 Kudos

Re: Can't connect to Yahoo Free mail

Reader 4
jennmarie78
0 Kudos

for yahoo mail

Incoming Server - imap.mail.yahoo.com

Outgoing Server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com

Incoming Port - 993 (requires SSL)

Outgoing Port - 465 (requires SSL)

Username: full email address (bill@yahoo.com)

Password: is the password you login to Yahoo! with

I got this from the yahoo mail site and it worked for me

Contributor
blueyestm
0 Kudos

Sadly, I can't get my yahoo mail set up either using the pop or imap servers.  Keeps telling me unable to open connection to the server.  This is going to drive me insane eventually because it the same set up no matter what mail program you use :/  May need to get a 3rd party app to test out.

New User
Psaxy
0 Kudos

Try this:  in the line for incoming server type   pop-server.mail.yahoo.com   and for the outgoing type in    smpt-server.mail.yahoo.com.    I had the same problem trying to set up roadrunner email on my nook, just typing in  hawaii.rr.com as the server name did not work, but as soon as I added  pop-server. in front of it I was able to connect.

Frequent Contributor
Puppy_Dad
0 Kudos

I have tried every possible combination of server name, security type, and port number.  I get a can't make a connection or user name or password error.

On the Nook Color when you do a manual install the first question is the type of account.  The free account is only IMAP so I select that.

The next page wants the following info

Username

Password

IMAP server

Security type

Port

Imap path prefix

I would like to know what to put into the last four fields to make the free account work

Thank you

Reader 2
JulietDrennan
0 Kudos

trouble setting up Yahoo email on Nook Color

"unable to open connection to server" is the message I keep getting. I'm trying to set up as IMAP.

Distinguished Correspondent
JohnF76
0 Kudos

Re: trouble setting up Yahoo email on Nook Color

I didn't think the free version of Yahoo mail came with pop support; I thought you needed to get the paid version.
Wordsmith
daenas
0 Kudos

JohnF76 wrote:
I didn't think the free version of Yahoo mail came with pop support; I thought you needed to get the paid version.

I use the free Yahoo, I've had my acct for almost 10 years, and I just entered my email acct ID, password and the NC did all the rest.  I didn't have to figure out anything.  And it connects as POP.

Correspondent
ps56k
0 Kudos

daenas wrote:

I use the free Yahoo, I've had my acct for almost 10 years, and I just entered my email acct ID, password and the NC did all the rest.  I didn't have to figure out anything.  And it connects as POP.

weird - maybe you were grandfathered in....

here is a current Yahoo link

when I went looking for POP3 info - implies only the newer Yahoo Plus allows Pop3 -

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/classic/mailplus/pop/pop-35.html

BTW - I wish EACH of these specific ISP related discussion was in a separate thread - would make it a whole lot easier to follow along....