BTW - for Yahoo CLASSIC email - just tried setting it up... it works -

just brought up the email app -

then went to Accounts

touch - Add Account -

it prompted for email address & password

warned about Yahoo, etc

It set everything up behind the scenes - and worked

I brought up my local network protocol analyzer

to see "what" the Nook was using to contact Yahoo classic email.

For incoming - it's IMAPS with port 993 -

and server - 67.195.12.43

For outgoing - it's SMTP with port 465

and server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com

Then, looking at the Nook email folders,

it has ALL of them, not just the Inbox -

thus confirming that the IMAP protocol is being used

and not POP3 protocol.

BTW - looking at the Nook Color email account settings,

it appears that the Yahoo servers change & redirect

Here are the Yahoo Classic account Server Settings from the Nook...

Incoming...

username - just the name, no domain suffix

password -

IMAP Server - imap.mail.yahoo.com

security type - none

port - 143

IMAP path prefix - optional

Outgoing....

SMTP server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com

security type - none

port - 587

Requires sign-in - checkmarked

Username - just user, no domain suffix

Password -

New User
Eagle2654
0 Kudos

Re: Anyone can help with Email App feature?

I am using Yahoo as my email and can't connect using the new app "TouchDown". Can you assist me on this?

Correspondent
ps56k
0 Kudos

this iis for a corp email server called Exchange, not the run of the mill email server.... like Yahoo
Contributor
Kuby
0 Kudos

Re: trouble setting up Yahoo email on Nook Color

I just updated to V1.30 and tried again to install my old +10yr old Yahoo account. No nC take! :smileymad:

Constant erronious error PU stating either user name or PW is wrong.... POP/IMAP no difference, nC auto or manual no difference - no take! :smileysad:

Has anyone installed a Yahoo account in/after Aug 2011, (after) the new Yahoo FREE email web face was forced upon all Yahoo users? :smileysurprised:

If sucessful - how did you do it? :smileyvery-happy:

New User
Doughboy65
0 Kudos

Thanks just got my nook color ---love it- I thought I change my incoming server port number--needed verification that it was 143...

What I don't see is the little notification icon for incoming mail--even though I have it checked..I send myself emails to check..Nothing apperas on notifacation bar--so I have to go to email & have to hit syc button in the email to see new mail?

Also--has anyone did the rooting to get driod apps?   does it change the home page appearance or anything--becuase I like the layout as is

All the best,

Doughboy65

Doughboy65
Contributor
Kuby
0 Kudos

Don't root, it voids warranty. :smileysurprised:

Instead seek the purchase the Android OS on a SIM card for the nC. :smileyvery-happy:

One thing nC does is it will FIRST look at the memory card slot for booting. If another OS is present it will boot up into it - like Android. 

The card I got actually has a pre-boot loader selection menu that allows me to select which OS I want, traditional nC or the card Android. :smileytongue:

If anything goes haywire with your nC, pull the SIM card and send it in, no one will know. :smileywink:

Contributor
booklover254
0 Kudos

I responded to your question at the other place it was asked, here: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-Technical-Support/Email-Indication-not-happening/m...
Distinguished Correspondent
SIGal67
0 Kudos

Wow. Amazing how many people are ignorant about something as simple as email. Why you're asking here is beyond me. You need to be asking your ISPs (Internet Service Provider, or the people you pay every month so you can go online) for that info.

Contributor
VCNY
0 Kudos

Has anyone found a way to get Road Runner email working on the Nook Color?

Thanks!

Distinguished Correspondent
SIGal67
0 Kudos

VCNY wrote:

Has anyone found a way to get Road Runner email working on the Nook Color?

Thanks!

Roadrunner works fine. All mail accounts do. The settings for Roadrunner are clearly posted on rr.com. Did you look there?

New User
Mishka_OP
0 Kudos

I did this same thing when I first got my Nook and was able to to connect to Yahoo's free email with no problem. Since then, I have changed my password on Yahoo and for some reason, I can no longer connect with the Nook email app...not sure what the problem is at this time.

I use the free Yahoo, I've had my acct for almost 10 years, and I just entered my email acct ID, password and the NC did all the rest.  I didn't have to figure out anything.  And it connects as POP.

Contributor
gooville
0 Kudos

I had the same problem-I took it in to b&n and all they did was delete my old account and then added it in again and it worked fine-this has happened twice so I know it will work-hope this helps-

New User
acepa
0 Kudos

I just spent 3 hours attempting to get pop3 to work with gmail. FORGET IT. The implementation of pop on the nook color has too many problems to make it workable.

POP works much like an old point to point phone connection in that you ask for mail to be delivered to you from a server and the server sends it to you. Generally speaking, a copy of that mail remains on the server until you sign on and delete it from your PC.

With the introduction of wireless networks and more advanced technology, IMAP came to be. As opposed to a one way conversation, it essentially operates as a two way conversation in that email is still delivered to your "remote device", but once you have read a particular email, it is marked on the server as "read". Also, if you delete it from the remote device, then it will be deleted from the server via a TWO WAY conversation.

I configured my gmail account for IMAP and then went to the Nook and did the same and tested it all and it appears to be working fine. I would recommend that you use this configuration as opposed to POP.

New User
Nickzel
0 Kudos

I have pop email working just fine on our nook tablet. Well, by fine I mean it sends and recieves mail. But , it does not seem to really download the email. I say that becuse if I have a message in the inbox on the nook and then go to the pc and access the email account, which then downloads the mail to the pc, the message disappear from the nook. Not the way a pop3 is suppose to work

KS6
Reader 4
KS6
0 Kudos

Yes.... Yahoo will set up just fine, on Nook Color or Tablet.

Incoming settings:  Username = full Yahoo email address.  / IMAP server:  imap.mail.yahoo.com // Security type:  SSL  // Port:  993.  IMAP path prefix: " Optional " (so don't put one....).

Outgoing Yahoo settings:  SMTP Server:  smtp.mail.yahoo.com // Security type:  SSL  // Port:  465 

For Cox (or other providers)  be sure to put Outgoing SMTP settings for the DEFAULT email provider (Yahoo, in my case).  For Incoming Cox, Pop3 is:  pop.west.cox.net //  Security: SSL  //  Port:  995.

Of course, if you live back East.....put:   pop.east.cox.net.   ;-)

Reboot by holding your power and "n" key at the same time, after inputting the settings.  Enjoy!  

New User
Jen980
0 Kudos

I have all of the information that you have given entered in my outgoing mail except for username.  My username has numbers in it and I am unable to enter those numbers.  for example Jen980@blah.com.  I can enter Jen@blah.com but no numbers any idea why?  I have been able to set up the incoming mail and receive it fine, just can't send any mail out.  Thanks