Distinguished Correspondent
k2nax
0 Kudos

Re: Anyone else disappointed?

OK, after 24 hours of version 1.2 here is where we stand:

1. I was wrong about the push email being no big deal.  It is a great feature I realized last night and something I really needed to keep up with my non-work emails.

2. The page-slide feature as compared to the page-curl feature of the android Nook app is about 2x faster.  I much prefer the slide after comparing the two last night.  The curl is a gimic to me and if you must have it, read a PDF.

3. Angry Birds will make you lose sleep, especially on the first night.  I played til midnight and still only reached level 2-8.  Is there an Angry Birds recovery group?

4. File management has been improved for large files.  My system did not lock up on any of the 1+gig MP4s I have on my NC and I could switch between them without rebooting, a major fix for those of use who watch movies on a plane (or anywhere else.)

5. The new fonts in the reader are no big deal.  I always revert to schoolbook no matter what else I try.  Must be a growing-up-in-the-60's thing.

6. The Gallery app is now useful but still very slow.

7. Having sideloads in the library is great. 

8. Most of the apps did not interest me.  The good productivity apps do not appear to be ready for the NC so I can wait for a while on that.  I never expected the thing to substitute for my BB, so no big deal.

9. The NC touch screen is not suitable for rapid-response touch screen games.  It may be my screen protector that is doing this however.  Someone should look in to this, maybe next time you replace the screen protector.

10. The biggest feature left out appears to be landscape reading, available in the android NC app.  It seems the demand for this is driven by the type of covers everyone has since most of the B&N covers will only self-stand in landscape.  I can see this as a legitimate criticism.  I hope they fix it in the next update.

Still a solid B effort.  Not and A+ and certainly not an F.

It is better to have loved your nook and lost,
than never to have loved your nook at all.
Inspired Wordsmith
my9cats
0 Kudos

Except for a major problem with the email app (at least now I can access email but the notification probelm is still not resolved. In the scheme of things it's minor), my only gripe is the failure of BN to add the landscape mode for reading books.

If there is an app out there to correct this please let me know. I will then either uninstall the update and root my NC, or if an updated root comes out take it from there.

Other than this I love my NC, but then again I always did.

Nook Color Wallpapers
Contributor
Txdoglover
0 Kudos

I bought my nc for reading not knowing that it would get this update.  So this is just an added bonus.  I am used to buying iphone apps so paying for them is no big deal. 

I am overall happy with the update.  I know more apps will be coming so no big deal for me.  If I really need an app I get it on my iphone.

I get a kick out of reading all of the complaints on this board.  There are some people in this world who are never happy.  I am just blessed to be able to have my nook color.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
New User
nook1220

I'm definitely disappointed. Videos that used to play beautifully smooth on the NookColor now stutter with dropped frames.

I'm all for updates that broaden -- and enhance --  the user experience. And I'm all for updates that improve performance. 

But no update should ever cause you to LOSE something you've come to appreciate. The silky smooth video playback of the NookColor appears to be gone. In its place we now have stuttering and jerkiness. 

I don't see how you would choose to lessen part of the unit's performance as a trade off to add a bunch of new features. 

B&N -- can you please address this? 

Frequent Contributor
Catfanatic1979v1
0 Kudos

Does anyone else feel that the touchscreen is a bit less responsive now after the update?

Contributor
Profilerz
0 Kudos

Inspired Contributor
Savoir_Faire
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

affirmwealth wrote: "you can delete files that are in your library by simply switching the browser back to desktop mode, and then logging into your Barnes and Noble account."

I am aware of this ( I did RTFM, as well as these boards for the past 4 months ) and also that I can delete downloads while they are still in the download folder. If these were the only files I wanted to manage that would be fine, but this is not the case. Thank you for the input as others may not have known.

"Savoir Faire is everywhere."
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat

[ Edited ]

Well, I got the Angry Birds, it is a fun game but it raises havoc with my books. After playing the game and then wanting to read a book, my books all open up as nice black screens, no words, just black screens. I have to say nice black screen because they are the kind of black the night mode should be, no text and no bottom quick access bar to backswipe or get out of the black screen. I have to reboot to get the books back.

There is also a huge drop in battery power. I keep wi-fi off unless I need it. In just using the to-do list this morning, it dropped 5% in about 10 minutes. Zowee, I get better power management than that running my laptop on battery power only without a power saving scheme turned on.

Seems like this is going to drop the already paltry "up to 8 hours" with all the minimalist tactics set, to around "up to 2 hours" tops, maybe less. So I'm disappointed in the battery drain.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

landscape for reading:

- an additional issue is that until BN fixes it, their stock devices can't viably read and charge at the same time -- putting any kind of strain on the gimpy power connector is just asking for trouble.  Resting the weight of the device on it? 

- rooted nooks can, if you use the more-manual approach in monster root pack, run the Android nook app.  The android nook app can display in landscape or portrait mode.  It also has an excellent night mode. 

If you've already updated, keep an eye on Ham and Cheese - he's already got root on the new hardware, and will probably be amongst the first to explain if it's possible to install the Android Nook app. 

If you held of on updating, root your device with MRP and install the nook app. 

If you need the functionality today, roll back to stock 1.1.0, then root, then install the nook app.  (Yes, this last approach will be a chore, and you may at one point or another think you've bricked your nook.  You haven't, but you can get your little guy pretty badly stuck if you don't follow the directions religiously.  How do I know?  I rarely follow directions religiously, that's how...)

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
whimspun

stacey677 wrote:

Yes, it is an additional $20/month for the data plan.. but the upside to that is I will not be strapped into wi-fi only and will be able to access online whereever I am at.  Its a consideration.   I am interested in the rooting and will definitely look into it.  Just scared that I am going to totally screw it up! :smileyhappy:  I was really looking forward to a scrabble game to play with my Android phone friends! lol..

I was a bit worried, but too curious to stay away from rooting.  The fact of the matter is when I bought my NC the sales guys at Best Buy steared me from the iPad, and sold me on the NC which they owned/rooted.  I slept on it, and went to BN and asked the tech guy if the Best Buy guys were even remotely correct about the underlying capabilities of NC.  Tech guy, with alot more looking over his shoulder, basically corroborated all I heard at BB.
So long story short, after a few weeks of reading up, I used autonooter and I ended up with a completely different device; amazing. :smileysurprised: Fast, intuitive, tons of free apps, and plenty for my kids- especially educational, and still the same e-reader stock with a touch of a button. I cannot wait to see the capabilities when an autonooter is developed for NC 1.2 with froyo.
Not to be blunt, but seriously it seems like alot of the complaints with the update are not only available but sleek and elegant with tooted nc.  It is sweet!!  :smileyhappy: 

"Real generosity towards the future lies in giving all to the present." Albert Camus
Reader
CaptNookGT
0 Kudos

Yes, I am disappointed too. Even though I bought the Nook as a reader. It was not because of the Apps but why BN need to charge for those Apps that are free every where else? I understand BN need to control and protect the hardware and products and also the apps store, but they should just provide a place where we can install some other apps like the weather or my local radio station app, etc.  I am hoping BN will have more apps in their store soon.

Distinguished Correspondent
Wild_images

I don't need or want my NC to be a larger replica of my phone. If I wanted that I would have bought a Xoom or Tab.

In your words,   WRONG.  In the interest of fair disclosure, neither were available when you bought your nook color.

Correspondent
NatashaC
0 Kudos

They did a pretty good job however I am disappointed that all the bugs were not fixed before they rolled out the update. When I bought my NC 2 months ago I bought it for an e-reader. The tabet capabilities are just a plus for me. The contacts app is whats frustrating me. My contacts disappear and reappear. Now it says I have no friends however in the update tab it tells me my friends updates. Weird! Aside from that I think it was a good effort.

Live each day to the fullest because tomorrow is not promised!
Frequent Contributor
Judy54JR

I so agree with you. Who know what the future holds in store for all of us Nook users! After 2 weeks without being able to access the wifi unless I was in the BN store and now they gave me a new one and life is great. Maybe in a few months when all of the connection, etc, problems have been fixed then people can worry about what they don't have. Right now if you have the update and have no problems with it or have an easy fix; be thankful. At least you can get on the internet and download books and you can do things others can no longer due because they are still having problems. Be glad you got alot with this update and be glad that you have been able to use them without pulling your hair out trying to fix issues. You may get more apps in the future but right now you have more than you did and the ones who have black and white (I have one of both, 3g and color) they haven't gotten anything extra since they got thiers. When I bought my 3g I paid the same price that was paid for my color and not even 6 months after the original purchase. That was irritating but that is the way life goes. Enjoy what you have.

Reader 4
Kyle0
0 Kudos

It's an Ereader.  IT'S AN EREADER!  Buy a tablet if you want a tablet and pay the tablet price.  Get real.  These ereader tablet prices are subsidized and they are platforms to support the ebooks that these vendors are selling.  they are not in the tablet business.  They are in the ereader business, to support THEIR products.  It's called BUSINESS.  Make money selling YOUR  products, not the competition's .  Wake up already.

bobstro

Kyle0 wrote:

It's an Ereader.  IT'S AN EREADER!  Buy a tablet if you want a tablet and pay the tablet price.  Get real.  These ereader tablet prices are subsidized and they are platforms to support the ebooks that these vendors are selling.  they are not in the tablet business.  They are in the ereader business, to support THEIR products.  It's called BUSINESS.  Make money selling YOUR  products, not the competition's .  Wake up already.

You are responding to a thread that's been dead over a year.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

Kyle0: t's an Ereader.  IT'S AN EREADER!  Buy a tablet if you want a tablet and pay the tablet price.  Get real.  These ereader tablet prices are subsidized and they are platforms to support the ebooks that these vendors are selling.  they are not in the tablet business.  They are in the ereader business, to support THEIR products.  It's called BUSINESS.  Make money selling YOUR  products, not the competition's .  Wake up already.

Today (versus a year ago when this thread was active) that doesn't even have to mean an increase in price - simply buy the 7" Samsung (can't quite remember it's official name at the moment) or a Nexus 7. And thanks to Amazon's vast content, even a Kindle Fire will even give you more of a general tablet-esque experience than the Tablet or Color will. That's good news for the consumer. Not so good news for B&N. 

bobstro

[ Edited ]

I believe you're referring to the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (what a mouthful!), which goes for $250. The Google Nexus 7 8G is cheaper and more powerful, at $200, but lacks the uSD slot for expansion. There's a 16G version as well for $250.

It is interesting that buyers are more interested in the 16G version than the 8G. Those buyers seem to be opting for spending a bit more and getting more storage. I wonder how this matches up with B&N's experience with their similarly-priced NOOK Tablets. Also interesting that the prices on the SGT haven't dropped since it's only sporting a dual core processor.

I think the "it's just an ereader" argument is falling flat in the face of these price reductions. There is no longer a distinction (as of today) in the "ereader" price and the "tablet" price. They're all 7 inch tablets running Android underneath the software skin.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

Are you referring to the Nook Color? $170 new, $135 refurbished? Of course its either an ereader+ or an underpowered DIY tablet. If rumors on a new screen tech NT are to be believed, they'll likely sell out the NookColors and NT16G's in stock, slide the NT8G to the $170 price point and sell the new one at $200.