Contributor
Looney_Moose

Re: Anyone else disappointed?

I am not disappointed at all, when I purchased my NC I got it because I live 100 miles from a bookstore. I bought an e-reader, for the convience of getting books when I want. Then I found out I could check my facebook, play suduko, read samples of books, rent books from the Maine State library. No I am not dissappointed, I look at the gas money I am saving from making the trip to a book store. We all need to remember we bought an e-reader and have so much more...unless you bought it from HSN...then shame on you for spending that kind of money before researching the product.
Inspired Contributor
bchau
0 Kudos

I am very HAPPY about this update. NookColor has been a great eReader and now it is a very versatile tablet that would server the needs of many users. At the same time, people would want everything Android does can still dual boot CM7 Gingerbread or even HC on the external SD card. Best of both worlds.

If people complaint why is the B&N Market is locked, one can ask similar question to why is Apple AppStore locked.

Wordsmith
SCIONTX

[ Edited ]

I'm rooting (pun intended) for Amazon's upcoming Android tablet. The eReader functionality on the NOOKcolor is a joke compared to reader apps that are available in the Android market and from Amazon!

Frequent Contributor
joestravels
0 Kudos

Did I miss something on "animate" page turns? Looks the same as it did before.
Contributor
JaconKin
0 Kudos

Perhaps some people just don't understand a fact with Lcd screens no matter how dark you might like your black the contrast ratio of the nook color just isn' high enough to make a pure dark background. The best you can do most likely is to change brightness. Nothing BN can do about it, beyond changing screen type to LED.
Contributor
Cr8z13

I'm very pleased with the update and I now have no reason to root. All I wanted was a decent PDF reader and EZpdf more than suffices. The only thing that disappointed me was coming on this board and seeing how many petulant whiners there are.

Wordsmith
SCIONTX

[ Edited ]

JaconKin wrote:
Perhaps some people just don't understand a fact with Lcd screens no matter how dark you might like your black the contrast ratio of the nook color just isn' high enough to make a pure dark background. The best you can do most likely is to change brightness. Nothing BN can do about it, beyond changing screen type to LED.

That's not true. Many of us with rooted NOOKcolors enjoy a pure white on black night theme with the apps that we use. As usual, B&N created their own night theme.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4

I think there is a big difference between being disappointed that some issues didn't get fixed and you feel the NC isn't the best it can be for what B&N intends it to be, and complaining that B&N didn't make it a completely open tablet and didn't basically root it for you.  There are plenty of legitimate issues still, but it seems that some people are bitching just for the sake of it.

I agree with the issues with the ereader functionality.

Contributor
JaconKin
0 Kudos

Then perhaps you and those rooted should just go to your own forum? I mean christ be happy BN allows you hackers to even discuss such things here. Iknow most places wouldn't tolerate such. I guess it must have something to do with the forum acconts being attached to your actual BN accont.
Reader 2
Germaninsd
0 Kudos

I'm a bit disappointed. Back in January I was aware that I purchased a great ebook reader and not necessarily a basic tablet. I wanted an ereader that is capable displaying pdf-files. That's what I got and it's OK. Except it never worked great as an reader for pdf-files. No bookmarks and no editing function is very diapointing. I would be even willing to pay a bit for a pro-version that can deliver all that. But apparenly the only available pdf-reader with bookmark option can only be operated with an SD-card. What's up with that? So as an ebook reader the NC still doesn't meet my needs. (My personal needs admittedly) And I think that sucks big time because it seems to be such an easy thing to fix.

I'm OK with B&N charging a bit more for apps than a regular app store. The purchase price of $250 doesn't let B&N a huge margin at all. And apparently they have a hard time selling enough ebooks to make a profit. So if they charge a bit more for the apps, so be it. I am saving a huge chunk by not purhcasing a real tablet. (Maybe I'm not really saving 'cause I'm looking into the Galaxy S Wifi...)

Correspondent
Dr_Mabooza

[ Edited ]

Piechow sayeth: By people saying "you just bought an ereader" is only seeing the cup 1/4 way full.

Some people could also have cracks in their cup. I did purchase the NookColor with the express purpose of purchasing an ereader.  Maybe I'm the Bizarro World excepcion of it all, but that's the case w/me. I like that there is a free note taking app & calendar app. I've enjoyed the music player, Pandora, & the other apps from prior NC OS versions, but I consider these things "extras" as their prior button was labled. But really all I have to say about the update is: finally, moar CAT IN THE HAT BOOKS y'all!

Nallia
0 Kudos

Dr_Mabooza wrote:

By people saying "you just bought an ereader" is only seeing the cup 1/4 way full.

Some people have cracks in their cup.

I have some cracks in my brain--does that count?  :smileywink:

Contributor
sailingcp
0 Kudos

I'm not disappointed with the new update but I am disappointed that my gmail contacts are not available.  Is there anyway to sync your contacts?  I would hate to have to enter them again.  The other problem that I have is the Angry Birds app has no picture.  It's just a blank square.

Correspondent
Dr_Mabooza

[ Edited ]

Sayeth Nallia:

Dr_Mabooza wrote:

By people saying "you just bought an ereader" is only seeing the cup 1/4 way full.

I have some cracks in my brain--does that count?

I hope you don't have the habit I do of bending down & forgetting you bent down under a wall-mounted a/c unit.  Just call me Concussion Boy.

Nallia
0 Kudos

Dr_Mabooza wrote:

Sayeth Nallia:

Dr_Mabooza wrote:

I have some cracks in my brain--does that count?

I hope you don't have the habit I do of bending down & forgetting you bent down under a wall-mounted a/c unit.  Just call me Concussion Boy.

For me, it's usually my kitchen table or coffee table.  Don't ask.  :smileytongue:

Contributor
affirmwealth
0 Kudos

Where do you get the Update? I don't seem to have it yet. Anyhow, to fix PDF's that have red X's, use CutePDF to open the file on your computer and print it as a PDF again. I have no idea why this works.
Contributor
XS650
0 Kudos

I'm not dissapointed, the update is more than B&N promised me when I bought my Nook, which was nothing.  It's less than the rumors promised but I don't put alot of faith in rumors and don't hold B&N responsible for them.:smileysurprised:.

Now that I have seen the update, I will go ahead and make my Nook a dual boot which I expected I would do when I bought it.

Had B&N made the upgrade a full on version of Android with access to outside apps, then B&N would have bitten off a bunch more support reponsibility.  They made an intelligent choice and to their credit, they don't stand in the way of individuals upgrading their Nook to whatver version of Android they want to use.

Contributor
nickyntiff
0 Kudos

Rolth wrote:
I agree. I have been reading about the NC becoming a "full tablet" for a while now. At best it is a locked tablet. I can't even install third party apps! Why would I pay for Angry birds when I already have l three games on my Android phone? Amazon is coming out with an Android tablet later this year with access to their own app store. B&N needs to meet the market for this device before it comes out or they'll lose everyone.

The new app store on the NC is more limited than what the Android Market offers, correct? Does rooting the NC have any limitations?

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

nickyntiff wrote:

Rolth wrote:
I agree. I have been reading about the NC becoming a "full tablet" for a while now. At best it is a locked tablet. I can't even install third party apps! Why would I pay for Angry birds when I already have l three games on my Android phone? Amazon is coming out with an Android tablet later this year with access to their own app store. B&N needs to meet the market for this device before it comes out or they'll lose everyone.

The new app store on the NC is more limited than what the Android Market offers, correct? Does rooting the NC have any limitations?

Using the autonooter method which supports only 1.1.0 for the moment. And should be upgraded in the next weel or two for 1.2.0 firmware.

And Nope as you will still have full access to your B&N menus and functions. It just modifies it to be more open to adding apps and alternate browsers,reader apps and the like.

The other method entails using an SD card to store the android OS image. When inserted and boot up will boot to the modified Android OS. Turn off remove SD card and turn on and boots up to original unmodified B&N OS.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Contributor
Varia_M
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Well, I just finished loading and checking out the new update. My only wishlist items were 1) a page turning animation because there were problems with several pages turning at once, and 2) a button or other feature that would allow easy adding of side-loaded books to the home page. Well, I got mostly what I wanted. The pages now slide left and right and you can put side-loaded books on the home page, although you have to open each book first. This for me is an enhancement of the reading experience, which is nice.

Apps? I cannot use any apps other than what is pre-loaded because I do not have a credit card build into my BN account. Will that change? I don't know.

All in all, I am glad that what I wanted was included in the update. It's unfortunate some are disappointed. For me there are 3 options:

1) Root

2) Switch to a tablet

3) Read.

I choose the latter.

Varia