New User
mizzyMW

Re: Anyone else disappointed?

Yes I am disappointed.  I could have saved a little more and got an IPAD2.  Aren't FREE APPS UH FREE???  Not .99 cents or $2.99 or whatever, When did FREE start costing money.  I realize this is the first day, so I will give it a little more time but not super impressed so far.

Distinguished Correspondent
DrAstro
0 Kudos

Complaints about the ereader functionality, I think, are perfectly valid.  Complaints about lack of apps and their prices, however, are a bit silly.  If you want apps and you want them free, then root the thing and do that.  Right now, if an app doesn't install on a rooted nook, then its the users responsibility to figure out how to make it work.  If BN allows all apps to be installed, then they also have to support all of those apps.  Plus, I would bet that there are licensing issues with officially allowing any apps (e.g. Kindle)

Inspired Scribe
orb9220

Varia_M wrote: For me there are 3 options:

1) Root

2) Switch to a tablet

3) Read.

I choose to latter.

Varia

Well me doing 1) gives me a Better 3)

As now can install the kindle app for amazon books. Can install half a dozen better pdf or e-books reader apps and have All My Reading requirements and Options fullfilled.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Wordsmith
SCIONTX

JaconKin wrote:
Then perhaps you and those rooted should just go to your own forum? I mean christ be happy BN allows you hackers to even discuss such things here. Iknow most places wouldn't tolerate such. I guess it must have something to do with the forum acconts being attached to your actual BN accont.

You're the one providing misinformation about what the device can and can't do. I just corrected you.

Contributor
aberrant

Not dissappointed at all.

It was a great e-reader before the update and is an even better e-reader/tablet with the update.

Geez, some people are never happy. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

Doing 1 gives me both 2 and 3.

If you've applied the update and aren't happy with the outcome, revert back to 1.1.0, and then apply autonooter or monster root pack.  MRP will give you the ability to install the native Nook app, which has a great black screen in night mode (and it saves battery, because it just tells the pixels "turn off" - the grey night mode in the native app doesn't, and I don't know why.)  It also supports landscape reading, which I know is important to many people. 

MRP breaks the "shop" application.  You can shop inside the nook app instead. 

To roll back:

- Pull down the stock 1.1.0 image linked to from this post:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=945838

Follow the instructions for making a bootable CWR micro SD card with the 1.1.0 restore on it. 

- reregister your device. 

Power down. 

Grab the monster root pack zip files and card image from here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=922870

Burn the image, then copy the root and google apps zip files to the SDcard. 

You will install each of them from within the boot environment that the card image

makes. 

Once you've installed each of them, yank out that SD card.  Reboot your nook, and you will come up in 1.1.0, but with root privileges and you can install software now. 

Log into a gmail account, then hit Youtube.  Then try running the marketplace, and you should be good to go - set up an account, and you can download whatever you like. 

Including the excellent Nook app for Android. 

If you want something a little faster, which won't let you use the Nook app but will keep the market intact (both methods let you use the library), look into downloading the "autonooter" image to use after you have restored your device to stock. 

A rooted nook seems unable to apply the update.  I have folllowed the instructions here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=933291

for using sqlite3 to tell the device not to update, and also copied over the build.prop file from the update, as that seems more likely to block it from what I'm reading. After copying the build.prop file in, I get the green n telling me I'm running the most current software.  But I'm still rooted and pleased. 

The build.prop file can be pulled from the update by unzipping it and looking in the /system subfolder. 

One of the first apps I install on a nook is an SSH app.  This lets me connect to the device over the network and issue commands - ADB is flaky for me over usb.

You can also simply issue commands directly over ssh.  You'll want to know your commands ahead of time, if you don't have any linux experience.  If you already know linux, it's totally fun to play with the back-end of this tablet.

install an ssh client on your computer, then type

ssh ip.address.of.nook

login as root with the password you've set, and you can issue commands.

This is how to make ADB listen over the wireless:

setprop service.adb.tcp.port 5555
stop adbd
start adbd

This one makes your /system folder rewriteable, so you can copy in sqlite easily, copy

over build.prop, etc. 

mount -o rw,remount -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system

You can do that from within ADB or simply by logging in via ssh and issuing the

command.  (if your eyes are good, you can even do it from a terminal app, but I really like a keyboard to type with.) 

From everything I'm hearing so far, I'll probably stay on rooted 1.1.0 for a bit, and be ready to roll back once the root tools are available for 1.2 if (for instance) there's no way to keep running the stock nook app. 

I hope folks find this somewhat useful.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Whoops.  Straight up pushing the build.prop file is not advised.  You need to edit the SDK level from 8 to 7 and the Android release line from 2.2.1 to 2.1 before doing it.  Otherwise, some apps will assume they have 2.2 features.  It's a good idea to copy the old build.prop to a new name rather than copying onto it -- that way you can see what it used to say, or just revert back to it.

Apologies

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,358
0 Kudos

joestravels wrote:

So how long do we need to wait for more apps?

Theoretically, they can roll new ones out at any time.  And apps can be released continuously... they don't need to wait for either a major or minor update.  I think this is a really good thing.  Obviously, this depends on them having new apps from devs to add.

If I could and did write a app could I offer it for free or would B&N still charge the downloader?

You could offer it completely for free, if you wanted to.  And no, B&N wouldn't charge the downloader.

- Mark

Contributor
affirmwealth
0 Kudos

Savoir_Faire wrote:
I'm not too pleased about the decrease in performance, especially in the playback of ,mp4 movies which played beautifully before the update to 1.2 as well as the continued lack of any rudimentary built in file management. I would have liked the ability to create and maintain multiple picture folders without all being shown together in the Gallery and also a "download to/save to" option for downloads and image saves. At the risk of being overly demanding it would be nice to also have the ability to delete files without connecting to PC.

you can delete files that are in your library by simply switching the browser back to desktop mode, and then logging into your Barnes and Noble account.

Frequent Contributor
ledmy

I agree i'm very disappointed all i wanted i can't get it besides my device veeery sloww after the baaaad update i hate it :smileysad:
Contributor
anieb
0 Kudos

khfbornholm, "Low-res flash" ?? The youtube videos I saw tonight are in very high resolution. They're beautiful. Some that are in not-quite HD look as if they are HD... The virtual keyboard doesn't seem so oversensitive tonight. Is that just my imagination? I'm not getting so many double letters nor is it typing when I merely hover over it. My one regret is that books cannot be turned to Landscape, a basic reading thing they should have done for a still-relatively smaller screen. (I couldn't care less about animating a page turn!) and pictures still cannot be zoomed.
Contributor
anieb
0 Kudos

[Reformatted for easier reading] khfbornholm,

"Low-res flash" ??

The youtube videos I saw tonight are in very high resolution. They're beautiful.

Some that are in not-quite HD look as if they are HD...

The virtual keyboard doesn't seem so oversensitive tonight. Is that just my imagination? I'm not getting so many double letters nor is it typing when I merely hover over it.

My one regret is that books cannot be turned to Landscape, a basic reading thing they should have done for a still-relatively smaller screen. (I couldn't care less about animating a page turn!) and pictures still cannot be zoomed.

New User
Bonne_Vivante
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Frequent Contributor
Alcoholcenter

No disappointment. I bought an ereader that had color capabilities (magazines) AND would let me checkout books for free from my public library. Now I have an ereader with the capabilities that I want AND I can dabble in the Android realm if not fully explore when I want. Satisfied - a resounding YES!

Inspired Correspondent
seescribe
0 Kudos

Im fine with the update. I got my notes, calendar, tasks, i agree with others, there are things i expect to pay for, but not a basic calculator. That threw me off. It says its a basic calculator. Other than that, i happy, plus too many apps running and bogging down the system can drain battery life, like apps on my phone that i cant delete. I bought this to read books, and now they have added everything i really would use. I must admit, i dont watch movies on my nookcolor, i dont have a bunch of pictures stored, i convert my pdfs using calibre (love it), which i dont have many, only about two. :-) so I'm not in the league of others who are maxing out the functionality. Im happy to be able to take notes, create tasks, quickly look at a calendar, and mostly read my books. Now this may be silly, but a zip code, area code program would be nice. I want to check out the conversion tool, but dont want to pay to find out it isnt as good as others I've used. Do they have a try before you buy option?
Frequent Contributor
cutterjohn

[ Edited ]

k2nax wrote:

OK (you should read my other replies to you.)

1. The reader has roll-over page turning.  You need to set this up on the new reader settings menu.

2. The reader now turns pages at least 2x faster.

3. The file management system now picks up your sideloads so you see them in the library.

4. The gallery app no longer pollutes the whole screen with thumbnails.

5. The MP4 driver no longer freezes on just one MP4, requiring a reboot.  This is a major ehlp for us MP4 lovers.

6. There are several new fonts in the reader, though no new page colors :-(

7. The email app is native (no big deal.)

8. The library diplay includes several more ways to list your titles, most importantly a small icon choice which speed things up quite a bit.

9. The book shelf menu works much better/faster.  So far I have not lost anything.

10. The Library title listing is now annotated when alphabetical, ie A-C, D-F, etc.

That's all I've noticed so far apart from the apps everyone else is talking about.

Not been my experience.  Page turning is no faster than it was before 1.2 nor does it "feel" to have improved performance ANYWHERE else either for that matter.

Additionally I managed to lock it up yesterday when attempting to open an epub which required a long press to power down then booted it back up again.  I had been testing the browser before hand which is unimpressive.  (The epub opened fine after the reboot and I had it previously opened so it's not a corrupt epub/file.)

Their "update" is just unimpressive, although I'm comparing it to several tablets and smartphones...  It's pretty damned weak actually, especially considering that they're now actually advertising it as a "tablet" as much as a "reader".  My other tablets do a better job of both v. NC w/stock fw as it currently stands.  NC with CM7, now that's something worthy of being marketed as a "cheap" "tablet" but NC w/stock 1.2 is a joke as a tablet...

The only people I can understand thinking that this is some kind of decent update are people who've never owned a smartphone and/or a decent tablet...

Frequent Contributor
mjbrodeur
0 Kudos

Overall I'm happy with this update, except PDF books STILL don't open in Adobe reader, they open in QuickOffice which gives me no option to bookmark/annotate/highlight or anything. Unless I'm missing something?

It seems like such an easy thing to fix, yet seems like they missed it. So as far as that goes, I'm very disappointed. But otherwise I'm happy.

Contributor
Mangar

I think complaints about apps are pefectly valid. Especially when a rooted nook provides better quality apps, and offers more functionality from a pure E-Reader standpoint. (Comic Books, Different Book File Type Viewers, etc...)

Which is currently the reality. I'm not saying B&N should be selling the Kindle app in it's store, but a basic comic book reader that already runs flawlessly on a rooted nook should be there.There are entire communities who use their Nook colour purely for comics, and for them - Unrooting and bothering with the update is pointless.

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52

mizzyMW wrote:

Yes I am disappointed.  I could have saved a little more and got an IPAD2.  Aren't FREE APPS UH FREE???  Not .99 cents or $2.99 or whatever, When did FREE start costing money.  I realize this is the first day, so I will give it a little more time but not super impressed so far.

I don't recall anyone ever saying apps would be free so if you are dissapointed there I think it's your own perception. Just like here, apps on my smarttv are sometimes free but most of them are a couple of dollars.

I like all the changes I have seen,. The web is faster & flash works great. You have a cursor now so when you are typing you can go back and make corrections, the notepad app is free, email is great.

And not to forget - I can buy and read books and magazines :smileysurprised:

Frequent Contributor
gordoughs
0 Kudos

My $0.02 - improved performance all the way around.  Everything seems zippier.

List of apps - meh.  I had a problem initially with the $2.99 Angry Birds price but then realize that I have gotten many $$ of entertainment from that dumb game so I paid it.  :smileyhappy:  On a bigger screen, it seens a little weird playing that game, though, on such a big screen.

E-mail client - handles Gmail flawlessly.

Actually, I would be disappointed if I paid all those $$$ for a Xoom.  :smileyhappy:

Still, I will probably go with Autonooter 1.2 whenever they perfect it.