Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Anyone else having a hard time getting the internal partition to mount over USB?

I'm finding something very odd with the glowworm.  The USB connection is solid when I'm connected and booted via Noogie, but when I'm booted in the regular OS, the sdcard slot mounts and stays mounted, but the internal memory is very flaky. 

First, it would not mount at all. 

I've reset the device, and now it mounts and unmounts, mounts and unmounts - many times per minute.  I thought it might be the cable, so I pulled out the brand new cable - same behavior. 

I've restored from an image backup to see if the original configuration has this problem.  It does.  Downloaded USB Deview, tore out all the prior NST installs - same behavior.

I ordered the unit online, so I may well be in a for a several week wait.  I can't even get through on the support line just now.

Has anyone seen anything similar?  At least for now the device does work as a reader, but given how badly this breaks Calibre for sideloading I'm curious to hear if anyone else is seeing this. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
DeanGibson
Topics: 93
Kudos: 2,273
Solutions: 18

Re: Anyone else having a hard time getting the internal partition to mount over USB?

[ Edited ]

I'm not seeing that.

On a related note (you might try and see if this helps), the following converts USB ADB access to WiFi ADB access:  In the ADB shell as root:

echo 'service.adb.tcp.port=5555' >/data/local.prop

To revert to USB ADB access, just delete the file or rename it.

Nooks: 2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted;
    2 HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
roustabout
0 Kudos

Re: Anyone else having a hard time getting the internal partition to mount over USB?

[ Edited ]

Thanks, Dean.  Sounds like an early manufacturing issue, then.  I'm surprised the whole device isn't restarting, honestly.  Reimaging to complete stock from the backup didn't clear it, which suprised me. 

I'm looking to use Calibre for managing content;  this isn't an ADB issue (I use ADB Wireless for that.)

The really cool part (not) is that although the SD card mounts on the computer, once I eject it safely, the Nook doesn't remount it, not even if I physically unseat and reseat the card.  I need to completely power off with the button and power on again.  Perhaps the device connection notification isn't working properly on this unit. 

My second glowworm will be available to me soon for further testing.  Nothing's been done to it yet.  (Aside from registering it.) 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
roustabout
0 Kudos

As I was setting up to do logcat just now, I found that

a) my NST was exhibiting some of the same behavior

b) uninstalling many things from the NST, including nook touch tools, nook color tools and the refresh rate tools (the refresh rate tools were not installed on the glowworm) seem to have cleared the problem on the NST. 

c) the problem on the glowworm seems to have gone away...None of the eink tweaks were installed on the glowworm to start with. 

I can't explain any of what I'm seeing at this point, since my memory is that I'd given up on the glowworm last night and decided to set up for logcat this morning. 

I am pleased, though. 

keriflur
0 Kudos

This is actually not a Glow issue, as it's exactly what happens to my nook, since the upgrade to 1.1.  Since everything else on my nook works perfectly, and I'd hate to exchange it for some device that turns out to be more defective, I've learned to work around it.

Basically, the battery can't be really low, or it won't mount properly.  And, you can't have the nook open to a book.  I think if you're open to the library there's an issue there too.  So, basically make sure your battery isn't low and then put your nook on the homepage before connecting it, and it should be fine.

roustabout
0 Kudos

"you can't have the nook open to a book"

Very interesting - Keri, did you ever do the enlarge-media-and-link-the-space on your NST?  I remember you were curious but at first, at least, it was perhaps more effort than you thought necessary.

I don't think that I had books open in the reader during these tests, but if I did, it would explain the weirdness, since my library lives on /media, an open book would result in a fight between the operating system and my computer over who, exactly, would be permitted access to the files.  

The low battery component isn't applicable to the glowworm, though perhaps to the NST, during this test.   

keriflur
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

"you can't have the nook open to a book"

Very interesting - Keri, did you ever do the enlarge-media-and-link-the-space on your NST?  I remember you were curious but at first, at least, it was perhaps more effort than you thought necessary.

I don't think that I had books open in the reader during these tests, but if I did, it would explain the weirdness, since my library lives on /media, an open book would result in a fight between the operating system and my computer over who, exactly, would be permitted access to the files.  

The low battery component isn't applicable to the glowworm, though perhaps to the NST, during this test.   

Nope, I didn't do that change, but I assume it's still fighting over who gets to access the files, which is why it's connected --> not connected --> connected, over and over.  I assume the home page renders once and then doesn't need to access data on the drives, and that's why that's fine.