Contributor
nooktwo

Anyway to get rid of the "Press the N button below to wake up your NOOK" message?

I upgraded my NST from 1.0.1 to 1.2.1. I use custom screensaver pictures and I really don't like the "Press the N button below to wake up your NOOK" message in the bottom of the page. Is there anyway to get rid of that?

Inspired Contributor
SirLoyne
0 Kudos

Re: Anyway to get rid of the "Press the N button below to wake up your NOOK" message?

I hope someone has an answer. It's certain that no future firmware (if there ever is one) will put things right. It showed up after the Nook Glow 1.2 update, so I thought for sure the 1.2.1 would remove it. I'd be more than willing to roll back to the original firmware, before B&N assumed I'd forgotten how to wake my Nook up if some one could tell me how and where I can download it.
Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Re: Anyway to get rid of the "Press the N button below to wake up your NOOK" message?

nooktwo wrote:

I upgraded my NST from 1.0.1 to 1.2.1. I use custom screensaver pictures and I really don't like the "Press the N button below to wake up your NOOK" message in the bottom of the page. Is there anyway to get rid of that?

Right now?  No.

But, you could reset to factory specs and then upload 1.1.2 from what's listed in this other thread here.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

kamas716 wrote:

nooktwo wrote:

Right now?  No.

But, you could reset to factory specs and then upload 1.1.2 from what's listed in this other thread here.

Without rooting, no.  Nook Mod Manager has an option to remove the banner as well as one to customize the text. 

Rooting voids your warranty, but if you follow instructions seems to be fairly safe. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
MacMcK1957

Since this option was designed for the stupidest of absolute idiots, they could have accomplished the same task with far less effort by just updating the standard screensaver images, no programming updates needed.  Those who are smart enough to load their own screensavers are presumably smart enough to know how to wake up a Nook, and they would have been unaffected.

But that would have been too easy.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

MacMcK1957 wrote:

Since this option was designed for the stupidest of absolute idiots, they could have accomplished the same task with far less effort by just updating the standard screensaver images, no programming updates needed.  Those who are smart enough to load their own screensavers are presumably smart enough to know how to wake up a Nook, and they would have been unaffected.

But that would have been too easy.

Since B&N is in the process of expanding the NOOK line internationally, this was probably done as part of the localization.

If they added this to the screen saver images then they would have to load different images for each language they want to support.

Instead by overlaying the string on top of the image, they are able to localize the display for any language just by changing that string. This is the preferred method for providing localization in a program. You just need to include one small file with all the button, menus, and other text in each language. The user specifies which language they want, and all the user interface text is loaded from the file for that language.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Except, as has been mentioned elsewhere, they are slowly expanding the countries in which the Nook is sold. It is much easier to us a database of canned phrases keyed by language and message number than it is to maintain a whole memory card of image files that are otherwise identical.

Baron Wulfraed
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Of course it wouldn't have been so hard for them to include an option to toggle the banner off.  Since it can clearly be done, they should have done it.  Some of the things the Nook Mod can do don't make sense for the average user, but this wasn't one of them.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,244
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

MacMcK1957 wrote:

Since this option was designed for the stupidest of absolute idiots, they could have accomplished the same task with far less effort by just updating the standard screensaver images, ...

That was how it used to be.  As said before, for internationalization.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Contributor
nooktwo
0 Kudos

Internationalization only explains why they overlay the text. But they could have just kept it the way it was to overlay only the built-in screen savers. IMO, it should have been the default instead of the other way around.

I think I have to look into rooting more seriously. I really miss the browser that came standard in 1.0.1.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

nooktwo wrote:

Internationalization only explains why they overlay the text. But they could have just kept it the way it was to overlay only the built-in screen savers. IMO, it should have been the default instead of the other way around.

I think I have to look into rooting more seriously. I really miss the browser that came standard in 1.0.1.

It didn't used to be an overlay, it was baked in to the images used as screensavers. 

For rooting check out NookManager over on xda.  It's easy all in one tool to 'safely' root your Nook.  I haven't looked at getting Root (super user) access, which, in my understanding, is different than rooting.  Yay for terms being used to describe two different things.  However you only need to root, not get Root access to remove the banner and have access to the browser or to install another browser. 

It's also worth noting that the Goodreads app (available as a free download from the GR site, works on a rooted NSTG. 

Inspired Contributor
SirLoyne
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I did the "Erase & Deregister" in the settings. It deleted all of my books and screensavers, but I still have firmware 1.2.1. I f'n HATE companies who have nothing better to do with their software then f**k it up. I should know better by now, especially with B&N. If I ever get this back to the original firmware, I'll never update again for as long as under "What's New?" they have "Guess!"

I followed Method #3 here... http://nookdevs.com/Nook_Simple_Touch_restore_to_stock. It asked me if I was sure I wanted to go back to the original factory settings. I said yes. I still have firmware 1.2.1. I f'n HATE you B&N.

Hooray! Method #2 worked. I'm back to 1.1.5. No more Updates for me until I know what they're wrecking.

Inspired Contributor
SirLoyne
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I took what was here and added it to the end of another post. I would have deleted THIS post, but that isn't an option. I'm not very surprised by that.

Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

I didn't do the 1.2 update. My NST works fine and I'm leaving it alone.
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,244
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

Mercury_Glitch wrote:
...  I haven't looked at getting Root (super user) access, which, in my understanding, is different than rooting....

Nope; they're the same thing.

I don't know how your rooting package got rid of the banner. I wouldn't mind getting rid of it myself, so long as it's only a configuration file change or rename, and doesn't require modifying a B&N executable file.  I'm personally (but not philosophically) opposed to these "one step does everything" rooting packages.  For one thing, they have been known (eg, with the Nook Color) to make it difficult to easily get back to a virgin B&N device state, especially for novice users.

I prefer a minimal root, but that's just me.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

DeanGibson wrote:

Mercury_Glitch wrote:
...  I haven't looked at getting Root (super user) access, which, in my understanding, is different than rooting....

Nope; they're the same thing.

I don't know how your rooting package got rid of the banner. I wouldn't mind getting rid of it myself, so long as it's only a configuration file change or rename, and doesn't require modifying a B&N executable file.  I'm personally (but not philosophically) opposed to these "one step does everything" rooting packages.  For one thing, they have been known (eg, with the Nook Color) to make it difficult to easily get back to a virgin B&N device state, especially for novice users.

I prefer a minimal root, but that's just me.

Check out Nook Touch Mod Manager, it came w/ Nookmanager (the rooting package I used) but I believe it's available on its own. 

Reader 4
FoxTale
0 Kudos

I will build a small personal altar to those who would be able to find the way to remove this annoying message from Nook without rooting and firmware downgrade. Got it today after settling on 1.2.1 on my NST :robotfrustrated:

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

I used to design craft projects and write how to instructions. Rule of thumb was always "write for the lowest common denominator, assume no one knows how to do anything". Because when you don't? Someone is going to ask how to do something that you personally think everyone should know how to do if they are old enough to read instructions. And they'll gripe loudly about how the instructions were unclear and unfair to newbies. 

Apparantly BN subscribes to that basic rule too. It's not that they think YOU are an idiot, but they can't assume that no one using their device is an idiot. Don't take it personally.

keriflur
0 Kudos

The only way to get rid of it is to install an earlier version of the firmware.

bobstro

How do people survive having ads on Kindle lockscreens?