Contributor
ninsei
0 Kudos

Anywhere I can buy the charging port for my Nook?

Hi.  A pin bent inside the micro USB like charging port on my Nook Color, so i can't stick the charger in there any more.  Any where i can buy a new charging port and solder it in?

Inspired Wordsmith
TigerShawk
0 Kudos

Re: Anywhere I can buy the charging port for my Nook?

If it were me, I'd try for a warranty claim first.  NC comes with 1 year.

Correspondent
susgod
0 Kudos

There have been lots of problems with the USB cable for the Nook Color. If you call 1-800-the-book, they will replace the cable under the warranty. Since I  purchased the Nook Color in May, B&N replaced the USB cable twice without any problem.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

susgod wrote:

There have been lots of problems with the USB cable for the Nook Color. If you call 1-800-the-book, they will replace the cable under the warranty. Since I  purchased the Nook Color in May, B&N replaced the USB cable twice without any problem.

The OP's problem is with the USB connector in the NookColor - not the cable.

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Correspondent
KLFL
0 Kudos

The whole charger thing (pins) got stuck inside mine. I called CS and received a refurbished NC within 5 days. I would go that route instead of trying a do it yourself method.
Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

In order to get a new power cord, do you first have to ship them the old one?

Correspondent
susgod
0 Kudos

richardwrite25 wrote:

In order to get a new power cord, do you first have to ship them the old one?

No, if it is under B&N warranty they ship it immediately. I threw my old, broken power cord away. Just be sure you retain the charger. That is a separate item and is not shipped with the cord.

Frequent Contributor
justsayyes
0 Kudos

I'd heard that the NC uses a proprietary microUSB connector that has both longer and more pins.  I tried to go the replacement route with my MBP when I mangled one of the USB ports but the Apple guys, very forunately for me, decided that the bent USB port was a warranty item and replaced the whole motherboard.  According to the "genius", replacing the soldered on USB port was too costly and time consuming for Apple to bother with.

Folow this link, and view photo 39 of 67 which is the only photo I could find of the USB port on the NC.

Good luck.  Hopefully B&N will feel the same about your situation.

ninsei wrote:

Hi.  A pin bent inside the micro USB like charging port on my Nook Color, so i can't stick the charger in there any more.  Any where i can buy a new charging port and solder it in?

Distinguished Correspondent
SIGal67
0 Kudos

No, you'll have to get a new Nook. That sort of thing is not replaceble, either by you or BN. They are usually soldered on to the motherboard.

Contributor
ninsei
0 Kudos

Ok.  Anywhere I can buy a new motherboard?

Wordsmith
robert93
0 Kudos

Ok, if you are absolutely sure you want to tackle this, have you tried Digikey or another electronics parts wholesaler?  Possibly you might be able to find a suitable connector there, or a cell phone repair center.  Thats a shot in the dark but ya never know.  Forget radio shack, this is above their parts list, and they'd just look at you like you were the unibomber or something.

Distinguished Correspondent
SIGal67
0 Kudos

ninsei wrote:

Ok.  Anywhere I can buy a new motherboard?

No. Not user replaceable. Buy a new Nook. There are good deals on refurbs right now.

New User
reverist
0 Kudos

I know this question is a year old, but for others looking for the same solution Portatronics sells Nook usb ports.

http://www.portatronics.com/product_info.php?info=p3750_Micro-USB-Port.html

Buyer beware, I haven't tried it myself, just reporting its existance