New User
lesamm
0 Kudos

App Downloads no longer available for Canada

This is disappointing and a Policy Change that hurts.

We purchased 2 Nook Color's not even 60 days ago and can no longer purchase and download Apps, even free ones, on our Nook Color because we live in Canada.

We can purchase and download books, not apps, according to Barnes & Noble support.

60 days ago we purchased Apps no problem.

I enjoy my e-reader with web access, but borders and policy changes like this hurts B&N.

Canadians et al.. beware of your Nook purchases!!

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Re: App Downloads no longer available for Canada

I have sent you a Private Message (the small white envelope on top of the page).

Correspondent
Nancy_BC
0 Kudos

HI,

I haven't cheked the B&N policies- but- is this due to a Canadian email and residence address? Some people have solved the problem by buying gift cards.If this is something else, please let us know the details. I'm a Canadian but have a US residence address. That may make the difference as I have ordered both books and apps with no problem.

New User
lesamm
0 Kudos

Thank you
New User
lesamm
0 Kudos

B&N offered no solution. Thank you for suggeztions. To download apps for nook color B&N says you must have both US address and credit card. Canadian billing address and credit card will be refused. (So much for free trade!) I will try a gift card next time I am in the states. Hopefully android market will catch on to and open things up. the nook is a great product, but I am regretting my choice to purchase one unfortunately because of this. It is a real limitation. The Kobo is inthesame price range and international purchases and services are available. I wont bepurchasing books from B&N..
Frequent Contributor
geertm

lesamm wrote:
B&N offered no solution. Thank you for suggeztions. To download apps for nook color B&N says you must have both US address and credit card. Canadian billing address and credit card will be refused. (So much for free trade!) I will try a gift card next time I am in the states. Hopefully android market will catch on to and open things up. the nook is a great product, but I am regretting my choice to purchase one unfortunately because of this. It is a real limitation. The Kobo is inthesame price range and international purchases and services are available. I wont bepurchasing books from B&N..

Did you read my PM? Try it, it works.

You have no reason to blame B&N. The NC is not sold to Canada, and B&N is very clear about the fact that their content is also only for the US.

New User
lesamm
0 Kudos

Do you work for B&N?

The B&N sales rep that we spent some time with could have told us out right that the Nook Color was a US only product, instead of withholding that and not passing the info onto us when we asked her directly. That would be good corporate practice!?

Only the apps on the Nook Color, and the handful I downloaded at christmas (with no problem) will be available to me, right now. Like I said, right now I regret my purchase choice since new apps or upgrades(?) will not be available to me anymore.

Who knows what the future will bring, in the next 60 days, more like a year, B&N may go international, or have apps developed through android market.

But, if not, my next purchase will be an International reader/web access pad or tablet...

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

lesamm wrote:

Do you work for B&N?

The B&N sales rep that we spent some time with could have told us out right that the Nook Color was a US only product, instead of withholding that and not passing the info onto us when we asked her directly. That would be good corporate practice!?

Only the apps on the Nook Color, and the handful I downloaded at christmas (with no problem) will be available to me, right now. Like I said, right now I regret my purchase choice since new apps or upgrades(?) will not be available to me anymore.

Who knows what the future will bring, in the next 60 days, more like a year, B&N may go international, or have apps developed through android market.

But, if not, my next purchase will be an International reader/web access pad or tablet...

I do not work for B&N, I am just a Nook user trying to help other Nook users. Like I helped you sending you a PM with the simple workaround for your problem.

One important tip for the future: Always research gadgets like these yourself, that is what the Internet is for. Do not rely on the often incorrect information from store employees.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

lesamm wrote:
[...] Hopefully android market will catch on to and open things up. the nook is a great product, but I am regretting my choice to purchase one unfortunately because of this. It is a real limitation. 

B&N is restricting you from accessing the Android Market, not "Android". If you root your NC, you will be able to access the full Android Market. In your situation, I see no reason not to do this for apps. Books may still be an ongoing problem, though you can certainly download and install the Kobo and Kindle apps once you root and buy through them. Unfortunately, those don't give you the nifty B&N interface integration (which I quite like).

I find it silly that you want to give B&N your money and they're not making it as easy as possible. Others certainly do seem to want it.

Hopefully, your gift card workaround will succeed!

Reader
BreanneB
0 Kudos

Wish I would have read this two days ago. I just purchased my Nook yesterday. I'm returning it next week. 

New User
Scurvydogdesign
0 Kudos

I am in the same boat, I purchased Nook Color and I am from Canada. What is the workaround. Thanks.
New User
Duncan50
0 Kudos

One way to access Nook apps from Canada is to root the Nook and put one of the Cyanogen Mods on the device. It's fairly simply with instructions to be found at XDA Developers (www.xda-developers.com) .  You would then have access (if you have a free Google account) to all the Android apps in the Google market.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

Be sure to double check whether the issue is still relevant before resurrecting a zombie thread that's over a year old.