Reader
MichelleMar

App to download library books directly to Nook via Overdrive

I'm very frustrated with the fact that I cannot check out library books and download them via Overdrive directly to my Nook Tablet, but have to first download it to my computer (only after I installed Adobe Digital Editions) then download it to my Nook via USB in addition to having to go in and delete files from the Nook (:F) drive ect, ect. ect..  Very dissapointed in this especially after I found out that you download straight to the Kindle without all of the hassle.  

PLEASE SOMEONE FIX THIS! 

Contributor
TinaLTX

Re: App to download library books directly to Nook via Overdrive

The Kindle actually does not have this functionality anymore due to their agreements with Overdrive.  You have to sideload the library books as well via USB. This is becoming a condition to download from the libraries themselves, not an issue specific to the Nook Tablet.  

Frequent Contributor
byter67

I copied this from Amazon's web site:

» Due to publisher restrictions, some titles may not be wirelessly delivered to your device and instead require USB transfer from your computer to your device. These restricted titles also may not be accessed on Kindle reading applications. «

It would appear such restriction applies only to certain titles from some publishers. It is my understanding that publishers in general wish to make the library process as cumbersome as possible even to the extent of requiring a physical trip to your library to borrow digital books,

Last I heard from the rumor mill, B&N was working with Overdrive to make wireless borrowing on Nooks possible with implementation sometime in the near future. Mind you - that is rumor only read somewhere on the Internet. It it comes to pass there will also likely be publisher instituted restrictions.

Inspired Contributor
logdog

I bought the N2A card for my Nook Tablet and downloaded the free Overdrive app.  Now I can download library books directly to my Nook.  I can also see how much borrowing time I have left and can return finished books to the library from my Nook. 

Reader
MichelleMar

What is the N2A card and where can I get it? So far all of the books that I want have been able to download directly to the Kindle as there is the option whevn I add it to my cart. Hopefully B&N can get an agreement with Overdrive soon!
Inspired Contributor
logdog

MichelleMar wrote:
What is the N2A card and where can I get it? So far all of the books that I want have been able to download directly to the Kindle as there is the option whevn I add it to my cart. Hopefully B&N can get an agreement with Overdrive soon!

The N2A card plugs into your SD slot on the Nook and turns it into a full Android device (Nook to Android).  It's designed for people like me who are not tech savvy and don't want to void the Nook warrantee.  You can keep the card in the slot and go back and forth between Android and Nook OS.  However, I've found that there really is no reason to go back to Nook OS because Android is so much better.

In Android, you get gmail calendar, a fully functioning email (I choose K9), download library books direct to the Nook and all the free google and amazon apps.  You also get a Nook reading app and a Kindle app.

You can buy the card at Amazon.com.  I bought the 16 GB for $50.  They also sell an 8 and 32 GB card.

Contributor
Queens_Taino
0 Kudos

I've got the AFN card and was able to download my library books directly to my tablet.  However, I don't like the overdrive reader and prefer using the stock reader.  Is there anyway to download through overdrive and then read using the Nook reader or am I just asking for too much?  :smileyindifferent:

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/7274760-queenstaino

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Queens_Taino wrote:

I've got the AFN card and was able to download my library books directly to my tablet.  However, I don't like the overdrive reader and prefer using the stock reader.  Is there anyway to download through overdrive and then read using the Nook reader or am I just asking for too much?  :smileyindifferent:

Well there are other reader apps that will read library books. Check out Aldiko reader much preferred over the stock reader by many.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Contributor
Queens_Taino
0 Kudos

Thanks!  I'll try that.  :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

TinaLTX wrote:

The Kindle actually does not have this functionality anymore due to their agreements with Overdrive.  You have to sideload the library books as well via USB. This is becoming a condition to download from the libraries themselves, not an issue specific to the Nook Tablet.  

I know I'm really late to this thread, but that statement is only partially true. Ebooks from PEnguin have to be sideloaded onto a Kindle. Ebooks from other publishers can still be directly downloaded to the Kindle.

Distinguished Wordsmith
1katie

I have an N2a card and have been downloading library books via the Kindle app from multiple publishers without problem.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Correspondent
TelSC
0 Kudos

MichelleMar wrote:

I see a lot about the N2a cards but seriously if you want great one on one customer service then take a look at the AndroidforNook cards. They do the same thing for a lot less money and are guaranteed to work.

Stop Calling It A Tablet
Wordsmith
PJLLB

TelSC wrote:

MichelleMar wrote:

I see a lot about the N2a cards but seriously if you want great one on one customer service then take a look at the AndroidforNook cards. They do the same thing for a lot less money and are guaranteed to work.

+1 on this.  I tired both cards, and the AFN card worked much better -- smoother video and snappier response.  When I querried N2A on the video issue, they're response was "downgrade the quality of the video (re-convert it at a lower resolution) and maybe it will work better."  When I querried AFN about a question (not a problem) I got a quick, friendly response that provided valuable information.  Just my $0.02.  (I am not associated with AFN; I'm just a very satisfied customer.)

Contributor
Queens_Taino

+2 that, lol :smileylol:  The customer service at AFN exceeds ALL expectations.  And it doesn't just end when you buy the card.  They've got a great forum and any questions will be answered by the Admin and/or other users.  It's a great online community.  You also can't beat the free year of updates.  This is hands down the best purchase I've made since getting my Nook Tablet.  :smileyvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
sailspirit
0 Kudos

I was a guinea pig at my local library for downloading e-books on the NOOK tablet. We had a heck of a time! Yes first Overdrive and Adobe Digital Edition.  There are not that many e-books from the library, in the NT digital version.  I like to support my library & otherwise read via Free Fridays or Lend Me (altho this has an issue, cannot change your original email address :-( ).  Back to the tread topic: is the lack of digital books for the NT both the NT & libraries are behind, and the publishers not releasing the digital books for bestsellers (until the hardback has its run) and they are not NT or Kindle Fire ready (since these are the newer devices).  Am I clueless?  Thanks!

New User
smp0723
0 Kudos

I feel like a dummy because I don't have a clue what any of this means :smileyvery-happy:

What is and where can I get an AFN card?  If I am understanding this, I would put this card in the SD slot and then I am able to download android app & then read/buy books and apps through Amazon?

Distinguished Correspondent
Reisnice
0 Kudos

You can search for AndroidForNook (AFN) or Nook2Android ((N2A) and find their websites. Both are similar in that after inserting the card, your NookTablet or Color boots as a generic Android tablet. You can then download the Nook and Kindle apps, and read either type of ebook. So far, Amazon has been able to keep the publishers from shutting down their direct download library book method, but I suspect that it's just a matter of time. The large publishers feel compelled to make it as painful as possible, if not impossible, to read library books. They would much rather you'd just buy them.
Inspired Contributor
logdog

Actually, you can now directly download library books in the Kindle format.  I think that changed earlier this year.  I have the N2A and it came with the Nook and Kindle apps as well as several other readers and many apps.  I'm sure AFN has the same.  I've found that Aldiko (which comes pre-loaded) is a better reader and you can download library books direct with this app.   

New User
LoriCTX
0 Kudos

I agree. If I can not do this by end of the year I am going to abandon the BN product line and go to a kindle. Too bad, I love everything else about it.

Inspired Contributor
logdog

LoriCTX wrote:

I agree. If I can not do this by end of the year I am going to abandon the BN product line and go to a kindle. Too bad, I love everything else about it.

Don't have to wait till the end of the year.  You can do this now if you download N2A to an SD card ($20.00 for the download) or order a N2A or AFN card.  These cards have the Overdrive and Aldiko apps pre-loaded.