Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Re: App to download library books directly to Nook via Overdrive

Yes, you can do it by booting off of uSD or rooting your device and running other software, but it's a bit silly that a book-focused company such as B&N hasn't provided this functionality without requiring a separate desktop computer. True, there are licensing issues and publishers to deal with, but it works with other Android software. They really should make this a priority.

New User
Lucykath23
0 Kudos

As I have gotten older now, my ability to comprehend anything technical is limited. Please someone tell me in simple words how I get library books to either my NOOK Color or Nook HD+?
Distinguished Correspondent
cgsmom

If your library uses the Overdrive system for ebooks, you can load the Overdrive app from the app store (it is free). You must have an Adobe account set up with Adobe Digital Editions, and authorize your Nook to the same account. Then you can connect to your library's website directly through the Overdrive app and check out and download books over wifi.  It is not very hard to set up. The people at my library were very knowledgeable and were able to show me exactly how to do it.  Good luck. 

Bibliophile
5ivedom

Adding to what cgsmom said:

1) Get Overdrive app - http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/overdrive-media-console-overdrive-inc/1113021293?ean=2940043354334

2) Start the Overdrive app, go to settings and enter your information for Adobe Digital Editions.

Note: If you don't have Adobe Digital Editions then download it for your PC.

http://www.adobe.com/products/digital-editions.html

3) My understanding is that you can use Overdrive app to download library books straight to Nooks.

OR

You can use Adobe Digital Editions to download library books to your PC and then move them over to your Nook.

Note: For Nook HD you should go to Settings > Account SEttings > Adobe Digital Editions and enter in your acocunt information BEFORE moving books over.

Someone who understand Overdrive App better can add to this.

New User
Di-DiDL

I'm reading all of your comments about overiding the Nook OS for the N2A and I'm wondering whether it's really worth it.  One of the reasons I chose the Nook was because it had a superior reading app, and I suppose that if you want a tablet more than reading a book than changing the OS to Android is worth it.  Before I go through all the trouble of doing this, I want to know what I am giving up.  

I have noticed that I now have to pay for Words with Friends while I don't have to do this on my Iphon.  Is this a free app with N2A?  Techie husband says that apps aren't transferable between operating systems.  For example, if you get a free app with Android, it may not be available as a free app on Nook.  You have to choose one over the other, and you may be giving up your superior reader capacity to do it.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Di-DiDL

What you get with rooting is that you get access to the Play Store.

Which has lots of free apps because that's sort of the Google Way - stuff for free and ads support everything.

What you lose is the reading app for B&N.

You can get one of the dual booting cards that let you choose whether you want B&N or Android when you start the Nook.

However, what are you going to use your Nook for?

Words for Friends is free on Android but it runs ads. So it's - $2.99 on Nook and no ads OR Free on Android and ads.

Google Play has a lot more apps available and most are free. Even more free apps than iOS.

It depends on what you primarily want to use your Nook for.

Inspired Contributor
logdog
0 Kudos

Aldiko is a free android reading app that is much better than the Nook reader. You can use it to download library books and it offers many more fonts and background colors than the Nook app.

New User
ArtsyMandy0718
0 Kudos

I'm on a Mac trying to use the Adobe Digital Editions to transfer a library book to my nook hd. There is no "account settings" option that I can find - any suggestions??

>:[ This is so frustrating!!!
Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The HD/+ is not a "Nook Tablet" -- different forum...

The HD/+ has the ADE DRM manager built-in; you register the device directly from the Settings Account Management area. Then, you drag&drop books to the appropriate area of the device using its entry in "My Documents" (Windows); you only use ADE to download the book to the computer itself.

At least, that is the intended operation. There has been at least one report that "returning" a book ends up flagging all other books as "expired/returned"... That would be a bug in either the Nook HD ADE DRM system, or in the ADE system overall.

For the Macintosh, this would mean having appropriate MTP drivers installed (On Windows, they are part of WMP-11). The HD does NOT appear as a card-reader (no drive letters on Windows) when connected, so anything that accessed as a memory card reader won't find the HD.

Baron Wulfraed
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

What Wulfraed said.

Just go to the 'Nook HD/HD+ Support Forum' - http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-HD-HD-Support/bd-p/NOOKHDSUPPORT

And there you'll find the steps to get it to work for your device.

Frequent Contributor
rmo56

just shop for overdrive app on your HD and download it....create an adobe account thru the app and then add your library...you can borrow ebooks directly

New User
AbigailRose
0 Kudos

I have the Nook Tablet, and called my local library in Palm Beach County, FL to see how to borrow a library book. They told me that with the Tablet, we no longer have to download the book to our PC first, but can download/borrow it through Overdrive. I have Overdrive, but have yet not been able to successfully 'borrow' a book! It's very frustrating, but I'm glad at least that once I figure this out, my PC doesn't have to be a part of the process.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

AbigailRose wrote:

I have the Nook Tablet, and called my local library in Palm Beach County, FL to see how to borrow a library book. They told me that with the Tablet, we no longer have to download the book to our PC first, but can download/borrow it through Overdrive. I have Overdrive, but have yet not been able to successfully 'borrow' a book! It's very frustrating, but I'm glad at least that once I figure this out, my PC doesn't have to be a part of the process.

I what problem are you having?  Figuring out how to checkout and download pn book, getting the app to work?  If you provide more info, perhaps someone could help.  I downloaded about 15 different books from the library this weekend without any issues.