olp
Contributor
olp
0 Kudos

Apps-Need more for Adults

Why can't there be more apps for Adults? How about Bookworm or some of the standards?

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923
0 Kudos

Re: Apps-Need more for Adults

Contrary to popular belief, BN doesn't make the apps.

If you want "adult" (bow chicka bow wow) apps contact the developers of those apps and tell them that you'd love to get their stuff ported over.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220

[ Edited ]

flyingtoastr wrote:

Contrary to popular belief, BN doesn't make the apps.

If you want "adult" (bow chicka bow wow) apps contact the developers of those apps and tell them that you'd love to get their stuff ported over.

Hmmm see your point. But would think B&N could cut down the time quite a bit cutting out the customer>developer>customer>developer checking it out then contact >B&N Request.

To B&N actually having someone peruse google play and pick out the popular and more productivity to contact and invite developer. B&N could probably start adding 5-10 apps per week if they sent their mind and wanted really to help out the customer. All I'm seeing in concentrated results for kid apps.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Contributor
fkm71

B&N may not develop the apps but they sure do either encourage or promote their own devices.  I hear people saying not to blame B&N but ultimately I believe they are to blame.  If developers do not come to their devices and they are going to all of those other devices, what does that tell you?  I get tired of excuses for B&N.  Of approximately 10 decent non-game apps I would use on those other devices I may have 2 available on the NT, one of them came with it (Pandora).  

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb

[ Edited ]
I think it's fair to say BN should have been more proactive pursuing developers, especially initially, and failed to create a solid process for developers seeking to place their products. On the other hand the number of apps has increased approximately ten fold. I have an android smartphone and a Xoom tablet. The truth is that most categories, except those that modify devices, contain several of the leading products for purchase . I know that there are still hundreds of apps that people will quickly site they can't buy. But come on, if that is your priority why would you buy a BN device. Apple still has the biggest store. It is no secret families and children + books is BN'S priority. It sounds like you wanted an IPAd, at BN'S lower price but now are not willing to accept the very things that allow a lower price. A significant amount of the criticism I see on these forums are generalized whining of this kind. I feel BN has tried to improve the apps available significantly. Hopefully it will continue to improve. Initially Microsoft is going to have this issue for its surface tablets, developers prioritize based on which store they think will make the most sales. That means BN gets things a little later, and sometimes not at all. I agree they should be monitoring the market for hot apps and encouraging ports, but it's not like ordering merchandise for a bricks and mortar store.
flyingtoastr
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

orb9220 wrote:

To B&N actually having someone peruse google play and pick out the popular and more productivity to contact and invite developer. B&N could probably start adding 5-10 apps per week if they sent their mind and wanted really to help out the customer. All I'm seeing in concentrated results for kid apps.

BN has a position who does nothing but that (called a "developer evangelist").

But if you're a programmer with a limited amount of resources, what's going to convince you to take the (arguably small, but still existent) time to port and support an app in another store: a sales pitch from someone working for the company or customers who tell you to please take their money?

The second option is always more effective. If the developer knows they have an audience that wants their product they're a lot more likely to put in that time. Concrete sales potential is far more compelling than generalized platitudes.

olp
Contributor
olp
0 Kudos

I agree. I think B&N also need sto get on the ball with OPTIMUM app. Evryone else has it!

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Optimum? Wi Fi manager or dvr manager? One is useful only if you have that cable provider, (dvr manager), these kind of apps are a known security risk. This is exactly what my take on this was based on. Posters identify an app they want, ok, but extrapolating that to a broad conclusion about BN'S app store is just lazy thinking. If you want the dvr manager contact the cable firm (cable vision) and ask why it isn't offered for nook. Good luck on the Wi Fi app these are ansecurity risk and it's for NY area only. Boingo is available and may be an option.
Wordsmith
doncr

I receive the BN developer e-mails from time to time and they always seem to strongly encourage the development of "family and kids" apps for the platform.  

Make no mistake BN has a lot to do with what you see on the device.  They are setting the tone with the dev community for these family apps aimed at their target demographic (Julia).  

Sending e-mails such as these sends a message to the developers that if you want to reach Julia with your app, then you should consider porting to the Nook Tablet.  It also conveys the notion that if someone like Julia wouldn't be interested in your application, you might make better use of your limited resources by not wasting your time.

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat

Her name is Julie, and I picture her flouncing off in a huff because you got it wrong.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
Distinguished Correspondent
sparky_80

fkm71 wrote:

B&N may not develop the apps but they sure do either encourage or promote their own devices.  I hear people saying not to blame B&N but ultimately I believe they are to blame.  If developers do not come to their devices and they are going to all of those other devices, what does that tell you?  I get tired of excuses for B&N.  Of approximately 10 decent non-game apps I would use on those other devices I may have 2 available on the NT, one of them came with it (Pandora).  

Exactly!

B&N shoud be establishing the relationships with the developers.  

Sure, if there is one or two specialized apps that I would like, I'd contact the developer.  But, compared to Apple App Store and Google Play, they have nothing.  That would be like me asking the grocery store to please carry food.

olp
Contributor
olp
0 Kudos

I am looking for Optimum to view TV on my Nook for free. It is offered on Kindle Fire and not on Nook.
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

This is a service, similar to HBO to go, connected to your cable TV subscription, using your DVR. It is not a general watch free TV anywhere service. If you have cable vision as a provider. Other cable providers have similar services, Cox has one for sure, if you do not have cable TV this is not an available service.
Wordsmith
doncr

Sun_Cat wrote:

Her name is Julie, and I picture her flouncing off in a huff because you got it wrong.

LOL.  I can't keep these personas straight.  I must have confused Julie with Obama's fictional "Julia". Truth be known, I'd likely just call her "toots" and give her another reason to leave in a huff.

keriflur

doncr wrote:

Sun_Cat wrote:

LOL.  I can't keep these personas straight.  I must have confused Julie with Obama's fictional "Julia". Truth be known, I'd likely just call her "toots" and give her another reason to leave in a huff.

Ugh.  Between this and the "binders full of women" I want to smack both of our presidential candidates.

I do see Julia shopping at B&N with her children.  She'll need somewhere to spend her tax credits, right?  And why not spend them on her well-educated children, who will surely love books?

When will our government learn that there's more to education than money and standardized testing? </rant>

olp
Contributor
olp
0 Kudos

This doesn't use my DVR. I get this on my laptop for FREE. Would like to get it on my NOOK.

HBO to go is also FREE for me since I already pay for it on OPTIMUM. There is no free application on the NOOK to allow me to view either of these products as there is through a laptop or IPAD and perhaps through another ANDROID I think. I know for a fact that the KINDLE does have the application for Optimum TV for free as long as you pay for a home subscription. NOOK does not.

flyingtoastr
0 Kudos

You do know you can view HBO Go through the web browser on the device, right?

Contrary to popular belief, you don't "need" an app for most things. They just tend to make navigation easier on a smaller screen.

keriflur

flyingtoastr wrote:

You do know you can view HBO Go through the web browser on the device, right?

Contrary to popular belief, you don't "need" an app for most things. They just tend to make navigation easier on a smaller screen.

I *think* HBO GO uses flash, so this will work on the existing NC/NT, but may not work on the HD/+. 

olp
Contributor
olp
0 Kudos

I tried but it says the Nook Tablet does nto support it.

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259

Sparky commented:

> compared to Apple App Store and Google Play, they have nothing.  That would be like me asking the grocery store to please carry food. <

:smileyvery-happy:  But they DO!  It's just that it's limited to aisle after aisle of tiny jars of baby food, infant formula, etc.  And when asked to diversify, they added baby spoons, disposable diapers, pacifiers, bibs, and so forth.  :smileyhappy:

- Mark