Correspondent
Ryan_

Apps Not Downloading? Here are a few Quick Fixes

I've been noticing some app reviews (for all games) are saying the app isn't downloading to the Nook Color. I've gotten a few emails about this problem from a few people, but not everyone has contacted me. These following quick fixes usually do the trick for 99.9% of everyone - 

1. Make sure your Nook Color has the latest firmware version (1.2). If it isn't, you won't be able to download and install apps.

2. Turn off your Nook Color completely. Hold the power button until the screen asks you if you are sure you want to totally shut down. Wait 10 seconds and power it back up. Go try the download again.

3. If you purchased the app from a computer, you'll need to plug your Nook Color in and sync it. 

Those three things should make a problematic app download work! If you have any other tips you have found, be sure to add them!

Developer at Toy Studio - Developer of Nook Apps
=========================================
Frequent Contributor
GameAmour
0 Kudos

Re: Apps Not Downloading? Here are a few Quick Fixes

Good guide, Ryan!

We did have few emails about the same issue.

Also, a hard reboot may be needed in few cases. To perform a hard reboot, hold power button and the "n" button together for 10 seconds, wait until the device powers down. Turn on the device. This hard reboot flashes all the caches.

Game Amour - Nook Apps developer and publisher

♥ NOOK Apps: Pigs Can Fly, Add-O-Matic, Vampires Vs Werewolves, Reversi Deluxe
Contributor
AgileFusion
0 Kudos

I'd also add:

1. Make sure you have a valid default credit card on profile.
  2. Make sure you have a default address on BN.com

New User
U_Turn_Ahead
0 Kudos

So this is still an issue..

Iv tried every thing here with the exception of "sync".. why? because they wont let you sync apps.

All it does is download the icon and it says "Download".. you click on it... a bar shows up, fills green and says "installing"  it has said that for 3 days.

Hard reboot, tried with it plugged in, tried standing next to 4 different wireless points (had full signal)

Tried with a 2gb sd card, tried with a 4 gb sd card, tried with no sd card. Erased and deregistered, then re registered... so much trouble..  any other ideas?

Correspondent
Ryan_
0 Kudos

If you live near a Barnes & Noble, you might want to take it into their new NOOK area and see if someone can look at the device itself. From my experience, any number of those things should do the trick. However, without seeing the device at this point, I don't have any further suggestions. Maybe someone else can see something I'm missing?

Developer at Toy Studio - Developer of Nook Apps
=========================================
Reader 4
retiredmama27
0 Kudos

Since I've downloaded version 1.4.1, I'm now having this exact same problem. I've done everything requested that is possible. I've tried downloading 4-5 apps and 4 out of 5 have the same problem. I can download books fine.

Please advise.

Carol

New User
U_Turn_Ahead
0 Kudos

Just thought I would update everyone on my status with the NC.. The update seems to have killed it. lol Thats all I can think of. I have spent 4 hours in the store with a lady who while she ment well clearly didnt know any thing at all about the NC.  So she called the help line.  Who had us de register and reset the device (again for 5000th time) and it downloaded one thing and then went right back to the problem.

I have been able to down load books just fine, I even got it to download minesweeper. I JUST (1/12/12) tried to download NETFLIX!!!! on 3 different full signal wifi's and guess what... Epic Fail. As you can see from the pictures below. It just hangs on "installing" or !!! if im lucky it might say "Download" in which case you click it and THEN!!! it returns to "installing" lol it amazes me that there is no downgrade or error log that we can provide to see what is the problem.

Frequent Contributor
whiteoakBR
0 Kudos

A couple of things to check - you probably already have but humor me - make sure you are running 1.4.1 (Netflix won't work on any earlier versions).  If you have ever rooted there is a problem with one of the files (this is way out of my league - search the forums, there was a lot of talk about this).

Some people have suggested going to your account on B&N, archieving the apps there, re-boot the NC, back at B&N unarchieve the apps, go to your NC - re-boot again and then download.  There is also the suggestion that you could archieve and unarchieve right from the NC but that didn't work for everyone.

Good luck!

Wordsmith
daenas
0 Kudos

whiteoakBR wrote:

A couple of things to check - you probably already have but humor me - make sure you are running 1.4.1 (Netflix won't work on any earlier versions).  If you have ever rooted there is a problem with one of the files (this is way out of my league - search the forums, there was a lot of talk about this).

Some people have suggested going to your account on B&N, archieving the apps there, re-boot the NC, back at B&N unarchieve the apps, go to your NC - re-boot again and then download.  There is also the suggestion that you could archieve and unarchieve right from the NC but that didn't work for everyone.

Good luck!

I've rooted before and reset my NC w/ stock (updated to 1.4.1) and I have Netflix and it works fine on it.

New User
chris_howard_mm
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I am having this problem now, I have never had a problem downloading apps but yesterday I tried to install 2 new ones, Dropbox and Fliqnotes. Both will download but will not install. I tried re-starting the nook and even doing the hardboot as described below. Is this a server issue or is something wrong with my nook?  I am running software version 1.4.3

New User
chris_howard_mm
0 Kudos

UPDATE: I backed up my personal files and archived all books and apps. I then erased and re-registered with the same email I used when i first got the device. It looks like this worked, Dropbox installed and is working. Do this by first connecting the device to a computer and copying over any personal files and then archive apps and books either on the Nook or on website. Then go to Settings/Device Info/ Erase & Deregister Device. Then register the device again with the same email.
Reader 2
3porterkids
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I am having the same problem running 1.4.3...... Trying your suggestion below, will update if it works for me too

New User
wolfie11
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have been having the same issues. We re register the NC and got the problem apps to download in store. When I got home and started re-downloading the rest of my apps some of them wouldn't download.

New User
betsiek
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks for this suggestion to archive, unregister and reregister, it worked. Seems like an awful lot of work to go through to get a 0.99 app to work. Grrrr... Thanks again!

New User
LKrier123
0 Kudos

I noticed awhile back that a few games that were "FREE" I choose to download to my NOOKcolor for my grandson. They never would download, but wasn't too upset since they were free.

Then I did an "UPDATE CHECK" on my NOOK and it asked if I wanted to download the update for SOLITAIRE which I use all the time and one of my books, (oddly enough). For some reason after the "UPDATE" they go through the downloading process, and say they are installing and then when it gets through the installation process, it comes up saying DOWNLOAD again!!

I've tried the powering down, with and without the "N". I've even left it powered down all night, but no luck. I am pretty frustrated and afraid to buy anything else as I may not be able to use it! grrrr

I've been in love with my NOOKcolor for over a year now, and told everyone on the street that it's the best thing since surgar..But my frustration is mounting and I really need some assistance on this, please.

LKrier123

Reader
jlfritz
0 Kudos

I tried everything suggested in this thread except for archiving/deregistering because frankly I do not have that kind of time and don't feel I should have to take such drastic measures. Any new ideas?
Contributor
bikerider51
0 Kudos

MY Nook Color also has stopped downloading/ installing all Apps recently. Quite frustrating, but no way am I going to de-register my Nook with its 500 books loaded.

I guess I'll wait and see what the new Nook looks like when it comes out in the next few months. In the meantime, I'm out of the Apps game.

Reader
MichTarts
0 Kudos

Did anyone respond to this?  I am no having the same problem!  some of my apps will not update and I can't use them!  GRRRRR

NetFlix and Pulse.

michtartsamato

New User
bonimi
0 Kudos

I have the same problem. I got this for my daughter and she has been using it for over a year. This problem started last month. I thought it was just with a few and now realized *all* apps (not books so far) have the same issue. Please post any work around that may have worked for you.
Reader
astraware
0 Kudos

Hi, thanks for starting this thread. We've had some customers with the same issue and this gives me a better idea of what to suggest.