Reader
dreamsmaker
0 Kudos

Apps for 1st Generation Nook

When I bought my 1st generation nook, what it interested me is that it had the Android system and the possibility to add mor apps as the market grows. Well, Nook color is here now and the apps market has grown, but only for nook color. Would there be any apps for 1st generation nooks? after all, it is also an Android device, meaning that there is room for it. Like the Calendar App. it would be really nice to have it on my 1st generation nook. Please, please someone comment on this and let me know what you think. Also, if someone from BN can give us more feedback would be great. 

Reader
keycollect
0 Kudos

Re: Apps for 1st Generation Nook

I am also interested in apps for the 1st generation B&W Nook - are there any?

Correspondent
Ryan_
0 Kudos

One of the challenges for developing a game for the Nook devices that use the eInk has a low refresh rate (that is the reason you see the "flashing" between page turns) so bringing a game where there is even a little bit of moving parts would be very difficult since it would affect how the game is actually played. 

If you want to see what that would look like, someone actually put Angry Birds on the Nook Simple Touch - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k22BB8VPI5o

Developer at Toy Studio - Developer of Nook Apps
=========================================
Inspired Correspondent
Knowledge70
0 Kudos

Not to mention the fact that most all apps require touch screen which the 1st gen nook lacks.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

It's a little weirder from a dev point of view than just no touch screen, from what I've read.

There are two screens on the N1, one is color, small, and a touch input device.

The second is large, mono, and not a touch input device.  So you need to get Android to play nicely with two screens - with different capabilities and geometries. 

There are apps for rooted N1s, though. 

http://nookdevs.com/Application_Directory

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
JediFarfy
0 Kudos

Just because it's run on Android does not mean it was ever meant to have apps. You can hack it to put apps on it, but there will never be any officially for the first generation nook. It's not designed for it. If you bought it for apps, you bought it for the wrong reason.

Reader
dreamsmaker
0 Kudos

ok... I didn't bought the device for apps.... Obviously, I bought it for the practical reason of carrying my books in one device and enjoy my reading everywhere I go. The 1G nook has 2 screens and currently has a web browser were you can see any website on the e-ink screen and use the "touch screen" capabilitiy on the lower screen. I was thinking more on apps as calender, agenda, notes etc. Maybe not games but some organizational apps. as the ones I just mentioned. It also have chezz and sudoku, which means, maybe a scrabble game can be added? I don't know... it's just a thought. If it can surf the web, I would think it can do something else. I am not a fan of "hacking" devices. Thanks, everyone for your feedback.