Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture

Apps you would like to see on the Nook Tablet

Post here apps you would like to see on the Nook Tablet! I'll start with: Dropbox (get the nook color version up and running on the Tablet!), Overdrive Media Console, Autodesk Sketchbook Mobile, Mint.com, Wordpress, Google Translate, Google maps (although why really if you have a phone and this is a wifi only device?), IMDB, Shazam, WebMD, Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, Skype (make use of the voice at least, we have a microphone after all), Slacker Radio, TED, Plants vs. Zombies, Cut the Rope, Yelp, Bloomberg...
Reader
lovingbooks03

Re: Apps you would like to see on the Nook Tablet

Quizard, or any flashcard app!

Distinguished Correspondent
gabourele
0 Kudos

Don't think you will ever see IMDB on Nook since Amazon owns that site

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture
0 Kudos

Hmm well why not? There's an imdb app on the iPad... Who knows... You might even see a kindle app or kobo app...
Frequent Contributor
Oogler
0 Kudos

Yes, more apps :smileyhappy:

From your list Robo I'd like to see Plants vs Zombies, Google+, Facebook, and IMDB. The others are a plus by all means. Skype would be awesome, especially since we have the mic. I don't need video etc but using the voice would be great.

Something I'm sorely missing is a quality email app that can sync my google calendar! The ones I've seen, Touchdown to name one, doesn't have the best user remarks so I've stayed away from it so far. I really can't believe the NT didn't launch with a quality email app to sync with atleast GMail.

Olive Tree Bible Reader - Its currently available for the NC. That being said the Dev has said they are looking into it on their forums. So time will tell.

In regards to some news and Facebook I downloaded Taptu the other day which gives you news feeds and your Facebook feed. Find the app here: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Taptu-DJ-Your-news/Taptu/e/2940043860118?itm=6. I've really enjoyed it so far, considering its free, and it seems to work very well.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture
0 Kudos

Yeah, Taptu is fine and free, or you can download Seesmic which allows you to manage a bunch of social media accounts in one place including Facebook and Twitter... however, I think they still need the first party applications for these social networks, if just to allow people to access that service, with the interface and user experience they are used to, and with regular updates direct from facebook or twutter, etc. With so many of those apps being written as html 5 applications, should be easy to get the updates once the groundwork app has been created for the nook tablet... Regarding email, the firmware email does sync with gmail... its not the best email app but okay for basic emailing...
Frequent Contributor
Oogler
0 Kudos

Yeah I'm ok with the email portion but I really need a good calendar to sync my gmail calendar with.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Contributor
jennt721
0 Kudos

Quizard, Overdrive, Dropbox, iTunes, and Kindle would be great. I am tired of converting content to be read on new devices. I really need Quizard because I am constantly studying for something.I need Overdrive because I am about to move to an area where I can use this. Dropbox is a nuisance but still accessible through the browser but would prefer an app.  iTunes would be the best addition because it would fulfill my need for multimedia content. Kindle is obviously a problem but I have a few of their books and am a Prime member and would like to view their content on the Nook Tablet. If they could fix all this I would be a happy person.

*Note: I know that some of these apps can be sideloaded but would really prefer it if B&N could just fix it so it is not so complicated. 

New User
sstorkel

I'd love to see Slacker Radio, Cut the Rope, Google Maps, Yelp, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, a decent weather app, a decent calculator, a photo viewer based on Dropbox or some other cloud storage service, and the FREE versions of my favorite apps: Angry Birds, TuneIn Radio, etc. Not sure why BN has the paid versions of so many apps and not the free versions.

Lack of apps is my one big complaint with the Nook Tablet! It's a great reader, but lack of apps makes it pretty useless as a general-purpose tablet. Crossing my fingers that will change in the near future...

New User
mcshirley

Bookworm (By PopCap)

Tom51
0 Kudos

Inspired Contributor
Terry27AZ
0 Kudos

Bookworm and Words with friends!  all my scrabble buddies are on facebook and the facebook Words with friends does not  like the Nook browser....don't wish to purchase  the scrabble game offered in the app store as I would have to start my friends list again.  It's a simple and free game.  unsure why it is such a problem for Barnes and Noble.  I know a lot of people have requested it. 

gilgomez
0 Kudos

Bookworm

Cozi Family

Deja Office or any other SIMPLE method to synch with Outlook 2010 for contacts, calendar

Dropbox

Google Maps!!!!

IMB for pulling all contacts for chats together into one application

Amazon (hey, why not?????  competition is great for business!)

And IMPROVE the mail app or provide us real mail applications with folders, spam filter or spam folder, synch contacts, etc.  The current mail app doesn't clean up well and is a bit primitive.

Thanks for this opportunity to share...........

New User
MooseGirLO

Would love to have a Bookworm app by Big Fish Games

New User
steveometer

I can't believe the full line of google isnt standard on tablet

There should be also slacker radio, radio360 and more audio options for streaming

LOVE that you can play music while reading a book but the speaker on the back is kinda lame

SoM

New User
Jon_Herrin

[ Edited ]

The entire Android Market. It is a foolish, indeed a doomed strategy for Barnes & Noble to limit the applications available on the NT. Right now, I use my tablet only as an e-reader. For everything else I use my smart phone, mostly because what I can do for free on my phone I have to purchase on the NT. I can guarantee that it'll take some real convincing for me to buying another Barnes & Nobel product in the future. And I tell people who are on the bubble the by a Kindle Fire instead because they can access all those free apps that I can only wish for on lists like this.

But to answer the question directly:

A FREE scientific calculator ( .99? Really? My phone is free.)

A FREE stop watch/timer/alarm clock ( 1.00? Really? My phone is free.)

A measurements coversion tool (I have access to a dozen free ones on my phone.)

Stitcher (free on my phone)

Slacker Radio (far superior to Pandora -- and free as well)

Dropbox (free on my phone of course)

Cozi (yes, free)

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

sstorkel,

> I'd love to see... the FREE versions of my favorite apps: Angry Birds, TuneIn Radio, etc. Not sure why BN has the paid versions of so many apps and not the free versions. <

Perhaps it's because the "free" versions of those apps on other platforms have ads, which are unavailable for monetization to developers on the Nook platform?  Just a wild guess.

- Mark

Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

gilgomez,

> Bookworm
Cozi Family
Deja Office or any other SIMPLE method to synch with Outlook 2010 for contacts, calendar
Dropbox <

Cozi Family Organizer has been available in the Nook Shop for a couple months now.  And it's free.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/cozi-family-organizer-cozi/1107919827?ean=2940043871428&itm=1&usri=c... 

- Mark

Oh, and Dropbox is there too, and recently fixed so it now works on the NT as well.

Mark_OB1

MooseGirl,

> Would love to have a Bookworm app by Big Fish Games <

Make sure you contact Big Fish, and let them know.  Have all your friends contact them too.

Many folks think that B&N puts the apps in their store, but they don't.  It's up to the developers to submit them, and unless they perceive a market, they won't spend the time to do so.

- Mark

Mark_OB1

Steve,

> I can't believe the full line of google isnt standard on tablet <

You can thank Google for that absence... not B&N.

> ...but the speaker on the back is kinda lame <

Sadly true.  :smileysad:

- Mark