Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

B&N Cuts Nook Line-up Prices!

Barnes & Noble cuts prices across its Nook lineup, vies for your budget tablet affection.

Nook Tablet 16g $199,  Nook Tablet 8g $179,  Nook Color $149

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

Re: B&N Cuts Nook Line-up Prices!

[ Edited ]

Thanks, yocalif.  That gives them a couple months to burn down their inventories, before introducing the new Nook Tablet #3, with "amazing screen technology".

- Mark

(Though for 20 bucks more than the NT8, I'd think most would be better served by an N7-8G. 

50 bucks more for the N7-16G model gets iffy, especially since it has no SDcard slot, which is still a benefit that B&N has over the competition.  So the NT-16 may still have the edge there, in spite of the improved 1280x800 screen rez, Bluetooth, Android-Market access, yada-yada, on the N7.)

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Mark_OB1 wrote:

Thanks, yocalif.  That gives them a couple months to burn down their inventories, before introducing the new Nook Tablet #3, with "amazing screen technology".

- Mark

(Though for 20 bucks more than the NT8, I'd think most would be better served by an N7-8G. 

50 bucks more for the N7-16G model gets iffy, especially since it has no SDcard slot, which is still a benefit that B&N has over the competition.  So the NT-16 may still have the edge there, in spite of the improved 1280x800 screen rez, Bluetooth, Android-Market access, yada-yada, on the N7.)

Asus needs to fix the build quality first, IMO.  I'm tired of opening N7 boxes just to have to send them back.  At this point I'm not even sure I want one any more, and am thinking of just waiting until the holiday new devices roll out.

I'm very curious about the new nook device.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

keriflur, what problems are you running into with Nexus 7?

I'm curious because on our team we have 3 and no problems at all.

I think at $199 the Nook Tablet is a good option (not a better one, but a good one) compared to Nexus 7 since it has double the memory of the $209 Nexus 7 8 GB and also has an SD card.

However, what's really needed is their 'new screen technology' and 'new types of media' Nook Tablet 2.

Frequent Contributor
stolenmoment
0 Kudos

I bought my NC simply because I could root it and run vanilla Android, and if B&N goes Windows with their next tablet, I'm going with the N7 when my NC breaks.

keriflur
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

keriflur, what problems are you running into with Nexus 7?

I'm curious because on our team we have 3 and no problems at all.

Asus' inability to properly use glue.  I've had two with screen separation issues and have no desire to force the guys at my local Staples to watch me go through box after box to find one that's actually glued together right.

I may try again next month, or I may wait for the holidays.  I don't "need" a tablet and am not traveling by plane (when I'd really want a tablet) until at least Thanksgiving, so I can wait.

Correspondent
tuck229

As far as build quality, I will have to say that I have been impressed with the Nook.  There are 4 Nook Colors in my household and I have been pleased with them.  My first impression was that they were a sturdy device, and a year later I still feel that way.  We did have the battery go kaput on one a month before the warranty ran out, but B&N quickly replaced it hassle free. 

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

There are more issues with the Nexus 7 that build quality.  I have read in several user reviews that Flash doesn't work properly and lots of embedded videos on a variety of sites either will not run or will not run properly.  That to me is a huge issue, I use my NC as a web browser all the time around my house, it is also a reason I'm considering upgrading to the NT.  However the Olympics and not being able to d/l an app to stream the olympics in the B&N app store, changed my mind on NT.   B&N's proprietary OS version of Android is a stumbling block for either the NC or NT staying current and users getting apps to take advantage of a whole variety of potential use. 

I bought my NC before I bought a android smartphone, and I never rooted my NC.  I love my smartphone, I use it in so many ways, like the NC I only use wifi and only turn data on when I need info and no wifi connection is available.  Yet there is a place for a NC or NT or other similar small tablet, for me it is around the house and on trips instead of taking laptop.  I was on a 3 day trip just a week ago, fortunately I threw both my NC and laptop in the bag, the NC just would not properly view certain websites and the browser keep kicking me out, so I turn on the laptop and no problem viewing.  Until android tablets can operate exactly like a PC or as good as my smartphone which could view the sites properly that my NC couldn't, this is a problem in deciding about my next tablet.   I was all set to buy a NT until the Olympics, I'm back to waiting to see what other tablets will fit the bill.

keriflur
0 Kudos

yocalif wrote:

There are more issues with the Nexus 7 that build quality.  I have read in several user reviews that Flash doesn't work properly and lots of embedded videos on a variety of sites either will not run or will not run properly.  That to me is a huge issue, I use my NC as a web browser all the time around my house, it is also a reason I'm considering upgrading to the NT.

This is because Adobe has stated that it will no longer support mobile Flash past ICS, and the N7 is running Jellybean.  However, there is a fairly simple fix for this that involves using an alternative browser (Firefox) and sideloading the .apk file for flash.  Info is available in the Nexus 7 forum at androidcentral.com.  I am 90% sure that some of the guys over there watched the Olympics on their N7s.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220

[ Edited ]

yocalif wrote:

I bought my NC before I bought a android smartphone, and I never rooted my NC.  

Yet there is a place for a NC or NT or other similar small tablet, for me it is around the house and on trips instead of taking laptop.  I was on a 3 day trip just a week ago, fortunately I threw both my NC and laptop in the bag, the NC just would not properly view certain websites and the browser keep kicking me out, so I turn on the laptop and no problem viewing. 

Until android tablets can operate exactly like a PC or as good as my smartphone which could view the sites properly that my NC couldn't, this is a problem in deciding about my next tablet.   I was all set to buy a NT until the Olympics, I'm back to waiting to see what other tablets will fit the bill.

Well some of the problems you stated are the very reason I made a dual boot CM7 card. And spend all my time on the android side.

As choices of many different more feature rich e-readers and browsers using Dolphin HD browser myself.

And better ereading apps. Like Aldiko,FBreader,etc...

Also allows me to have apps that B&N hasn't gotten around to making available. Like Google Streets for finding places,local news,weather,etc.. Even a Trimet Bus App that allows me to look up bus schedules and such. A county library app to check for items ready for pickup or put something on hold.

Various Nature guide apps for Trees,Birds,Insects,Flowers,etc... Topo Map coverage for hiking and such. Photographic helper apps for out shooting on location.

On and On about the benifits of using CM7 instead of B&N as fills the needs. So no real desire to waste additional cash on an actual Tablet for myself as the Nook Color still fits the bill.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

I have to agree with tuck on the build quality of the Nook being very impressive. My iphone's power button broke off and there are lots of little scratches. My Nook Color and Nook Tablet looks almost new. I use them a lot more than the iPhone.

With Nexus 7 I felt it looked good and was very light but the Nook Tablet was better in your hand - the feeling of holding it. I just used Nexus 7 for a week before putting it away (too many games and distractions) so don't know how durable it'll be.

Wonder if B&N will use Windows 8 in the next Tablet or whether it will introduce both Windows 8 and Android Tablets. Should be interesting to see.

Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

5ivedom pondered:

> Wonder if B&N will use Windows 8 in the next Tablet... <

Seems highly unlikely.  They just got their App store up to 5,000 items, and Win8 would abandon all that.  None will be runnable on WinRT.

> or whether it will introduce both Windows 8 and Android Tablets. <

Also unlikely.  Do you really think B&N has the resources to do both?  They're barely managing to do one.

- Mark

Inspired Contributor
jimmy1
0 Kudos

I pre-ordered my N7 from the Play Store on July 4th.  Had it almost a month now, with 0 defects.  It's really fast and smooth.

I got the 8gb because I knew with an OTG cable and a 32gb flash I would have no problems with storage.

Passed my NC on to my wife....just couldn't bring myself to sell it as it has been my constant companion for almost 2 years. And everyone is correct.  The build quality of the NC is great!!!  

You laugh at me because I am different, I laugh at you because you are all the same.

Running MIUI 2.4.6
Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Mark_OB1 wrote:

Yes, it looks to me like those price points are a little crowded, but laying the foundation for the NT8G at $160~$170 and the "new" Tablet at $200 with 16G and the "amazing new screen technology".

Mark_OB1 wrote:

5ivedom pondered:

> Wonder if B&N will use Windows 8 in the next Tablet... <

Seems highly unlikely.  They just got their App store up to 5,000 items, and Win8 would abandon all that.  None will be runnable on WinRT.

I'd agree with this. If they include a Windows8/ARM option, they'd want to do it as an option, to avoid losing what they've already built up.

> or whether it will introduce both Windows 8 and Android Tablets. <

Also unlikely.  Do you really think B&N has the resources to do both?  They're barely managing to do one.

So long as the "different tablets" are the same hardware with different operating system and name, then resources to do that wouldn't be an issue with the infusion of funds from Microsoft. But if they are going to have multiple operating systems, they would likely pass on multiple internal storage options, since that would be 4 distinct SKU's to stock.

Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

jimmy1 wrote:

> I got the 8gb because I knew with an OTG cable and a 32gb flash I would have no problems with storage. <

How's that working out for you?  I'd think having your storage tethered to a cable would be more than a little clumsy.

- Mark

bobstro
0 Kudos

Mark_OB1 wrote:

[...] How's that working out for you?  I'd think having your storage tethered to a cable would be more than a little clumsy.

If you only need it for those times the cloud isn't available, I can see it working just fine. I still pack a 500 GB drive when traveling, even with my 32 GB uSD card on board.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

Mark_OB1 wrote:

[...] How's that working out for you?  I'd think having your storage tethered to a cable would be more than a little clumsy.

If you only need it for those times the cloud isn't available, I can see it working just fine. I still pack a 500 GB drive when traveling, even with my 32 GB uSD card on board.

One thing with all these tablets with no sd-card storage, they are starting to come out with WiFi-accessed external hard drives.

And one thing about these prices is that the Nook Tablet 8G refurbished is $150 and the Nook Tablet 16G refurbished is $170.

So the price points are:

$130 NC Refurb

$150 NC new, NT8G refurb

$180 NT8G, NT16G refurb

$200 NT16G