New User
Jennypbg
0 Kudos

B&N Stores not stocking Nook Color chargers??

The charging cable for my Nook Color keeps breaking.  I went to the store yesterday and was told that they aren't stocking them anymore because they aren't made very well.  He hadn't heard of plans to replace it.  He gave me one for free that they had but I got it home and it broke! :smileysad: Went to another store today and they said the same thing but made me buy an entire kit.  Does this mean once they are gone we can no longer use our Nook Colors?  Anyone heard if they will have an upgrade program?  I hate to buy an new one if my NC works fine. 

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Re: B&N Stores not stocking Nook Color chargers??

Jennypbg wrote:

Does this mean once they are gone we can no longer use our Nook Colors?  Anyone heard if they will have an upgrade program?  I hate to buy an new one if my NC works fine. 

No, you should still be able to charge and move data using a standard microsUSB cable.  However, charging will take longer.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

I use a high capacity 2.1A AC-5VDC wall adapter with a standard micro-USB cable and it charges reasonably quickly. The wall adapter capacity is key. On a typical phone adapter with .5A, it may not be able to charge at all with the screen on.

The stock NOOK cable and charger are the quickest combo, but you won't be completely stuck without either, especially if you let it charge overnight.

Reader
lilredrooster
0 Kudos

Somehow, that's not surprising. My ONE issue that I keep coming back to with my Nook Color is the really crappy charging cable they put with it, because the quality has always been bad. I've gone through three cables in three years, and I'm not that hard on them, because all it takes is slightly jiggling it the wrong way and the entire workmanship falls apart.

And then when I saw that they're really pushing their tablets and HD's over the Colors, I figured it was only a matter of time before they stopped stocking the cables. Figures.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

That suggests you've got a bit of a short or out of alignment plug on the Nook Color side, since that's what makes the NC (and NT) especially vulnerable to excessive heating of the housing which makes it brittle.

That's not unusual, since the length of the extended micro-USB plug gives it too much leverage in the socket in the NC, and makes it too easy to deform the housing of the socket. Deforming the shape of the socket then makes it easier for the power supply leads to short out, and also easy to be putting too much amperage over insufficient contact surface.

I've not had any trouble with a brittle cable housing or any noticeable overheating on the NC side, but when I took a close look at the socket on the NC, it was easy to see that it is bent badly out of shape, so I've just been lucky.

I didn't want to bring the cable with me on my out of state trip over the holidays, so I brought a 0.7 amp micro-sd charger instead, for a Peek that I used to use. It worked OK when charging overnight, but wasn't fast enough to recharge during in transit stops while travelling back.

bobstro

Here are some alternate 5 VDC adapters

Here are the adapters that I use that work well with the NC:

I use all of these with a normal uSB cable on the NOOK Color. These all work well with the NOOK cable. With a conventional uSB cable, charge times are about 10% per hour.

Contributor
booklover1969
0 Kudos

Try Staples or OfficeMax.

GDJ
Inspired Contributor
GDJ
0 Kudos

I suspect trolling.  In any case, you can buy them online here:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook-color-nook-tablet-charging-cable-in-asphalt/23055743?ean=978161...

They also show all my local stores as having them in stock.

Inspired Contributor
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Re: Here are some alternate 5 VDC adapters

bobstro wrote:

I use all of these with a normal uSB cable on the NOOK Color. These all work well with the NOOK cable. With a conventional uSB cable, charge times are about 10% per hour.

Sounds about right...

Industry standards are to charge at 0.1C for about 14-16 hours... That is, to use a current of 1/10th the battery capacity, which in theory means charged after 10 hours; the extra hours are to level off the cells in the battery pack and allow the charge to go "deep" rather than stopping on a surface charge.

Of course, no one wants to wait that long, so everything tends to run hot using 2-3 times the recommended rate. A 3000mAh battery should be treated to just 300mA, but a fast charger will push up to 1000mA (1A).

Baron Wulfraed
Wordsmith
BruceMcF

Wulfraed wrote:

Industry standards are to charge at 0.1C for about 14-16 hours... That is, to use a current of 1/10th the battery capacity, which in theory means charged after 10 hours; the extra hours are to level off the cells in the battery pack and allow the charge to go "deep" rather than stopping on a surface charge.

Of course, no one wants to wait that long, so everything tends to run hot using 2-3 times the recommended rate. A 3000mAh battery should be treated to just 300mA, but a fast charger will push up to 1000mA (1A).

I believe that the industry standard that B&N was designing toward is the specified 0.5amp drain on a standard USB cable. So they have the current limited at a lower level on the standard USB connector, and the recessed pins which are not contacted by a normal length micro-USB connector draw 1amp. That's why plugging the B&N cable into any 1amp USB wall wart or car adapter works ~ all of the special design is on the device side of the cable.

Its a clever design ~ except that the the length of the micro-USB connector was a functional design decision to avoid putting excessive leverage on a micro-USB socket housing. The longer plug can more easily deform the socket housing, which can lead to loose connections, and carries an appreciable risk of shorting of the high amp pins.

Their experience with that connector is why they went with proprietary connectors for the Nook HD/HD+, which would (1) avoid that failure point and (2) support an HDMI-out function.

As far as whether a higher amperage plug with a regular micro-USB charges any faster than a 0.5amp plug ~ I couldn't say for sure, but my impression is that it did for me. It may be my prior experience was plugging into an internal hub that was not actually feeding 0.5amp to the sockets, and that 0.5amp wall wart and a 0.7amp wall wart give identical performance.

bobstro
0 Kudos

pBruceMcF wrote:

[...] That's why plugging the B&N cable into any 1amp USB wall wart or car adapter works ~ all of the special design is on the device side of the cable.

So long as I use the B&N cable, charging is noticeably faster using a high output adapter. Unfortunately, my son stole my B&N cable, so I can no longer confirm whether it's just as fast as using the B&N cable with the B&N adapter, but speeds were very good with a 2.1A 5V adapter.

[...] As far as whether a higher amperage plug with a regular micro-USB charges any faster than a 0.5amp plug ~ I couldn't say for sure, but my impression is that it did for me.

I definitely see a difference. With a 500ma adapter, the unit will barely charge with the screen on. With a high output adapter, it's still only about 10% per hour, but at least it gets there!
 Either will work, but it depends on whether you can leave it alone for long enough for it to finish.

New User
LisaleeNV
0 Kudos

No they ARE NOT KEEPING THESE IN STOCK. My store hasn't had them in a year.

New User
LisaleeNV
0 Kudos

For the person who "suspected" trolling...NO, you can't buy the chargers online and the stores DO NOT STOCK THEM. Either that, or they are perpetually out of them.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

I sold one yesterday. 

The B&N you go to is not representative of every B&N everywhere. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

There are lots of places you can get them. Just check for the thread that mentions buying them at Frye's Electronics. It's also available sometimes in stores. Sometimes the Travel Pack is available that includes charger and car charger.

You can call you store and ask them to keep one for you when they next get stock.

Finally, any cellphone charger that has the same microUSB end will work.

bobstro
0 Kudos

Fry's Electronics still claims to have NOOK Color/Tablet charging kits for $19.95.