Frequent Contributor
Painterroy
0 Kudos

B&N still has no New Nooks, What I feel like doing

Okay, so everyone seems to agree that B&N really blew the ball on this one as far as underestimating how many people wanted the new Nooks. That's no excuse for telling everyone that it would be here on a certain date (May 7) and now the stores seem to have no idea as to when they will receive one. Plus the numerous complaints as to the incompetence of the reserve lists, how some people got some, some people were never put on the list when they did, how some stores sold to people just walking in & buying one without being on the list, etc.etc.

What I feel like doing is to go in tomorrow, buy a Nook Simple touch without a glolight, keep it till the new ones come in & then return it and get the glolight nook.When the clerk asks me why I'm returning it, I will tell them at first I was frustrated with waiting for the new ones, but now that they came in, I changed my mind. As long as you have all the packaging & receipt, they have to take it back. 

I will tell you one thing. I have a large collection of e-pub books. B&N better hope that the future Kindles aren't able to use this format, because if they do, I will be the first one switching as Amazon never screws up.

Roy Evan Burstiner
Contributor
bakersdozen12
0 Kudos

Re: B&N still has no New Nooks, What I feel like doing

To say that B&N doesn't have the GlowLights in stock is a little misleading. They are hard to find and sold out in a lot of stores, but not all stores. The store where I live (Salem, NH) still has them in stock for anyone who wants to buy them, whether they preorded or not.
Distinguished Correspondent
akaCat
0 Kudos

Painterroy wrote:

What I feel like doing is to go in tomorrow, buy a Nook Simple touch without a glolight, keep it till the new ones come in & then return it and get the glolight nook.When the clerk asks me why I'm returning it, I will tell them at first I was frustrated with waiting for the new ones, but now that they came in, I changed my mind. As long as you have all the packaging & receipt, they have to take it back. 

Honestly, I'm not sure they'd mind you doing that if it means keeping you as an ebook-buying customer.

Contributor
Kurt149
0 Kudos

I got lucky Monday when I went to B&N for a new nook. They were sold out and I got there just as they were putting a preordered one back in stock.

But what was really interesting is that the nook posters that were up were preprinted with a banner saying "sold out".

Inspired Correspondent
Htom_Serveaux

Painterroy wrote:
I will be the first one switching as Amazon never screws up.

I have to assume this is meant tongue-in-cheek, otherwise I fear you are in for even more disappointment.

Hop over to the Amazon site and start clicking about in the forum-like message sections for Kindle and you'll find pretty much the same sort of messages that you find here, with technical glitches, unhelpful tech support, order mixups, and yes, even folks threatening to switch to the nook.

Yep, it's annoying and frustrating when it happens to us individually, but these are definitely "first world problems" and the price we pay for having the mass-produced, affordable miracles we take for granted every day available to us.

The_Most_Happy
0 Kudos

I'm wondering if there's some sort of upheaval in BN right now.  I received my NSTG, but an ebook I preordered has had its delivery date pushed forward twice. 

Contributor
bakersdozen12

The_Most_Happy wrote:

I'm wondering if there's some sort of upheaval in BN right now.  I received my NSTG, but an ebook I preordered has had its delivery date pushed forward twice. 

Your e-book delivery date is something that B&N probably has no control over; I'm sure it's the publishers that have control over that.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

Painterroy wrote:

B&N's return policy is 14 days.  They won't take it on day 15.

MegSLP

Here is what I am confused about...  Y'all act like you have never had to wait for a new gadget.  I have waited in line for 10+ hours for a new iPhone and iPad because I knew that if I didn't, it could be a month before Apple got enough in stock to ship them out.  This happens very frequently in the tech world.  It isn't the end of the world and it definitely isn't cause to jump ship and go to Amazon. 

msmoonlite

Of course its the end of the world, especially to people that think Amazon doesn't make any mistakes.

One of the BN stores close to me (there are about 6) has the Glow in stock. The rest are sold out of their stock. And with that statement I'm going to jump out of my 20th floor office window. My inability to get a Glow on the day that its supposed to be in stores is too much for me to handle.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

Gee, a company that underestimated demand and now can't satisfy everyone.  How unusual.  That never happens.

Now where is my Tickle-me Elmo?

Frequent Contributor
Coaxial_Creature

We're actually suggesting that for mother's day at our store.   One manager brought up that if you buy the ST and a gift card to cover the cost, we have a card that says, 'here's your STG'.   You can leave a message saying, I'm sorry it's late, it's coming, but we got you a cover and a gift card to upgrade to the STG when it comes.  

If they decide to keep the ST, they have a GC for books.  

Just a suggestion - get a gift receipt if you do this.   That way just in case you can't get into the store within two weeks, you have two months to exchange the device.

Bones: Once, just once I'd like to be able to land someplace and say: "Behold, I am the archangel Gabriel."
Spock: I fail to see the humor in that situation, Doctor.
Bones.: Naturally, you could hardly claim to be an angel with those pointed ears, Mr. Spock. But say you landed someplace with a pitchfork...
~Bread and Circuses
Contributor
dressmaker
0 Kudos

Re: B&N still has no New Nooks, Don't Give Up!

Mine came in today!   Got the call at 5PM  Fast food for Dinner! 

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18

Yes, Virginia, there is Karma.

[ Edited ]

Painterroy wrote: ...I will tell them at first I was frustrated with waiting for the new ones ...

No kidding.  But why did you have to start a new thread ???

It's not like many people here who start a new thread on the same subject, because they are new and don't know that another thread on the same subject exists.

It's not like many people here who start a new thread on the same subject in a different forum, because they believe their message is more important than to be limited to a single forum.

You started the original thread on this subject.  It has stayed on subject.  It is an interesting thread (at least to me).  So, why the #@!! did you have to start a new thread on the same topic ?????????????????????  Or is this just some cathartic whining???

Some of us who follow the forums regularly and try to help, aren't really interested in jumping from thread to thread.  There are so many threads, that interesting ones scroll of the first page pretty quickly if there are no responses.  However, your prior thread was in no danger of that.

I'm sorry, but after pulling this, you have lost all sympathy with me on this subject.

Yes, the B&N system is broken in regard to pre-ordering.  I'm a perfectionist, but I'm too old to expect it in others.  Besides, the more others screw up, the more of a competitive advantage I have in life.

Today I received a call from my local B&N store that my Nook Glow had come in.  I told the lady that she was mistaken;  mine came in ten days ago and I was called (from the same store), and I bought it then.  The same thing happened when I pre-ordered my Nook Tablet;  I was called twice, about a week apart (after I had obtained one from the first call).

Apparently you now have a Nook Glow.  Good.  Now go enjoy it, if you can.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

Re: Yes, Virginia, there is Karma.

DeanGibson wrote:
... Or is this just some cathartic whining??? ...

OK, my above message was both a bit strong and a bit long.  So, how come no one called me on my above statement?  :smileyfrustrated:

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Yes, Virginia, there is Karma.

Call you on it?  LOL, I gave you a laurel.  :smileywink:

Contributor
Newcraft
0 Kudos

MegSLP wrote:

Here is what I am confused about...  Y'all act like you have never had to wait for a new gadget.  I have waited in line for 10+ hours for a new iPhone and iPad because I knew that if I didn't, it could be a month before Apple got enough in stock to ship them out.  This happens very frequently in the tech world.  It isn't the end of the world and it definitely isn't cause to jump ship and go to Amazon. 

It isn't about the wait - we're all adults and know how the world works.  The issue that people are having is with being TOLD one thing on one day, and something entirely DIFFERENT on the next.

I put my name on the pre-order list in store two weeks before May 1st, was told expected date May 1, then checked in store May 5 after seeing the online update to May 7.  I was then told that my name was NOT on the list.  I was then told that you could NOT order the Glow directly online, they were only pre-ordering.  It was all pure malarkey.

I ordered my Glow on May 5 online and it shipped May 7.  I've had it in my hands for 4 days now, but two days after the birthday for which it was intended to be a gift.

If there TRULY was an issue with distribution - not a problem.  But don't take my pre-order reservation, then tell me two weeks later I'm not on the list, and then proceed to lie to me about whether it's available other places.  It's bad business practice, and just poor form.

FYI - I'm not a person who believes in standing in line 10 hours for an Apple or any other product - but the Glow was intended to be a birthday gift, and they had a reservation process in place.  They failed.

My money went to their online store, and not my local store, with local taxes.  I'd much rather support my brick and mortar, but if their sales staff are truly that in-the-dark, they don't get my dollars.

Wordsmith
tmr4

You set yourself up for disappointment. Product shortages are common on launch and local stores will often have no knowledge about product availability. Yes B&N didn't come through for you. It would have been great if they did, but your situation is pretty common for this type of thing.