flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,855

BN announces new NOOK HD and HD+

[ Edited ]

Well damn, this one even caught me by surprise.

Obligatory The Verge link.

BN apparently showed off the new NOOK lineup to the press and the embargo just expired.

Two different flavors (4 SKU's):

NOOK HD - 7 incher with 1440x900 screen (whooping the KF and N7)

NOOK HD+ - 9 incher with a 1920x1280 screen (just a hair under the iPad 3's PPI)

Both come in multiple storage flavors (8/16 for the HD and 16/32 for the HD+) and are priced at $199/229 for the HD and $269/299 for the HD+.

Tons of stuff under the hood too. Android 4.0, bluetooth enabled, optional HDMI output via dongle (and the HD+ supports full 1080p output), stereo speakers, and all sorts of other goodies

And, probably the big thing: each of the new NOOK's can support up to six seperate profiles, as well as allow you to control access to content or censor content in the shop on a profile by profile basis. Just like people requested.

E: And looks like the website just got updated for them.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

Re: BN announces new NOOK HD and HD+

I just saw this, and figured it was because I'd been out of the news loop today - thanks for realizing it was an embargo issue.

The larger screen device at the price is interesting, as is the newer droid OS. 

I'll be very interested in whether they do mass storage support on these - now that I know it can be done in ICS, it would be great if they chose to do it.

The continuing sdcard support - excellent. 

Mutiple user profiles is very interesting as well.  I was aware it was possible in theory but hadn't seen it implemented in android yet, as far as I know? 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm thinking that the 9in HD+ is surely a perfectly reasonable NookStudy target, and with young eyes and the near-retina display (243ppi is "near retina"), a case could be made for the 7in Nook HD.

Bluetooth enabled could be the biggest thing for me. At $300 I can't justify the 9in as a tablet alone, as lovely a graphical novel reading device and anime streaming device as it might be ... but presuming that the Bluetooth supports Bleutooth keyboards, then with the right bluetooth keyboard case it competes as a netbook replacement.

flyingtoastr
0 Kudos

One thing I'm very curious about is the storage partitions.

For the HD+16 it says "16GB storage, of which 13GB is available to store user content". Likewise, the HD+32 has "28 available to store user content".

So either BN is seriously limiting app storage on the device, they're splitting semantic hairs, or they figured out a way around the seperate storage partitions. I'm really hoping for the later.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220

Gallery of Images for new nooks.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

For the HD+16 it says "16GB storage, of which 13GB is available to store user content". Likewise, the HD+32 has "28 available to store user content".

So either BN is seriously limiting app storage on the device, they're splitting semantic hairs, or they figured out a way around the seperate storage partitions. I'm really hoping for the later.

I'd bet splitting semantic hairs ~ eg, "apps" are not "user content" like books and videos.

bobstro
0 Kudos

Has anybody seen more detail on the hardware, and specifically what sensors and other features are supported? Is bluetooth actually there?

The hardware looks nice, as usual for B&N. The weight on the 7 inch is impressively low. I'll be interested in seeing real-world battery results with that new screen. 

Wordsmith
BruceMcF

bobstro wrote:

Has anybody seen more detail on the hardware, and specifically what sensors and other features are supported? Is bluetooth actually there?

The hardware looks nice, as usual for B&N. The weight on the 7 inch is impressively low. I'll be interested in seeing real-world battery results with that new screen. 

At techradar I saw a list of the HD features that included bluetooth:

Under the hood the Nook HD runs a 1.3GHz dual-core processor, which isn't quite the quad-core offering found in the Nexus 7, but coupled with 1GB of RAM there's no problem running the heavily modified version of Ice Cream Sandwich. ... there is a microSD slot and a 4,050mAh battery, ... You'll also find Wi-Fi b/g/n and Bluetooth in the Nook HD, allowing you to get online and hook up to Bluetooth-enabled accessories, ...

They've also fixed the failure point of the extended micro-USB port with a proprietary charging connector. There is a HDMI out dongle for the HD+, I haven't seen any information regarding a micro-USB dongle.

bobstro

[ Edited ]

Interesting hardware summary. Thanks for that link. It's nice to see bluetooth, as a lot of accessories open up if it's not crippled. I assume (hope) it supports audio in so at least Skype calling can be used, even if not video.

Also interesting to read that B&N is (per the article, at least) planning an upgrade to JB 4.1. I'm surprised, as that's a deviation from their past approach. I'd always understood their philosophy was that the B&N software was "the platform" and that the underlying Android version was incidental and not their priority.

I liked the goofy carabiner on the NT. I'm surprised they skipped it for the 7 inch HD since it seemed to be part of the B&N brand image, especially since they stuck with a bezel like previous generation NOOKs. I used it to get a grip on my NC and NT when reading one-handed.

They don't seem, at least with this first release, to have taken the 3G approach Amazon has, nor going after the high-end iPad range. Personally, I think that's smart. B&N seem to be sticking to the same target niche they went after with the NC and NT... though, of course, more models may follow.

They look like nice devices. It'll be interesting to see how the capabilities emerge once it's released.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

I think the upgrade to Android 4.1 is similar to the NC being taken from 2.1 to 2.2 ... 4.1 is a better foundation to build on, but 4.0 was what thay had to work on when they started the project.
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Does anyone see the dual core processor as a marketing issue? I think the high quality display trumps that. A lot of comparisons have shown little performance increase with quad core, but it is a easy comparison point.
flyingtoastr
0 Kudos

The NOOK Color actually got two Android updates "under the hood". It launched at 2.0, got 2.1 in April the following year, and 2.2 the November after that. Given the noticible performance upgrade between ICS and JB I really hope the HD+ that I'm getting will get it.

patgolfneb wrote:
Does anyone see the dual core processor as a marketing issue? I think the high quality display trumps that. A lot of comparisons have shown little performance increase with quad core, but it is a easy comparison point.

Quad-cores aren't quite as great as the hype makes them out to be right now, given that most apps for Android aren't designed for that kind of multi-threading (so they don't take full advantage of all four cores). Apple, for instance, is still using dual-cores and arguably still gets a smoother UX on their devices than Android.

So, while you will get performance bumps with the extra cores, it isn't as drastic as "this processor will be 2 times faster at everything!".

Contributor
DragonRich
0 Kudos

I'm seeing difference in the speaker feature on the Nook HD+:

The B&N website Nook Comparision chart shows this has stereo speakers. 

The engadget hands on shows there is only one speaker grill on the back. 

Frequent Contributor
Scooter_Moonpie

Wow,no camera? I can't believe B&N left out a camera.Even the new Kobo Arc has a camera. I would prefer to stay with the NOOK but their decision to not include at least a front facing camera will make me rethink upgrading to the NOOK HD. It just left the gate and already it's behind Kindle,Kobo and Nexus with the lack of a camera.At least it has an SD slot.Oh well,I have to go regroup.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
flyingtoastr
0 Kudos

BruceMcF wrote:

flyingtoastr wrote:

I'd bet splitting semantic hairs ~ eg, "apps" are not "user content" like books and videos.

Right, but if that is the case (and we assume the same 3GB system partition that BN has had on everything), then they're leaving less than a gig for apps. That doesn't seem right at all.

Distinguished Correspondent
auntykatkat
0 Kudos

For those who were wondering about the Nook and Microsoft, I found thisarticle......

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2012/09/barnes-noble-microsoft-to-bring-enhanced-reading-expe...

Auntykatkat

Frequent Contributor
P38Lightning
0 Kudos

Repost from NC area:

A Mighty "Hooray"!!!

I actually cannot believe that my long wait for an affordable HD tablet with an 8.9 (actually 9 inch) screen is now here courtesy of BN!

Having a screen that was the size equivalent of a "trade paper (back)" has always been my goal for both reading and video purposes.

Under $300., with excellent performance stats, and with at least ICS 4.0 makes my mouth water.

I cannot imagine what a rooted version with JB would be like.

Of course one needs to see some thorough reviews first but this is the first unit to meet all of my internalized criteria to move me off of my rooted (dual boot) NC.

I am currently running both 1.4.2 and CM 7.2 with both dual booted from the internal eMMc.

Inspired Correspondent
MusicmanGG
0 Kudos

This is what I was waiting for to upgrade from the NC...

I pre-ordered the 32 gig HD+ Slate.....

Contributor
Mondayn
0 Kudos

Re: Introducing NOOK HD & NOOK HD+

That's so original. Just like everything else Barnes and Noble steals.

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa

Re: Introducing NOOK HD & NOOK HD+

Mondayn wrote:

That's so original. Just like everything else Barnes and Noble steals.

I'm going to assume you are referring to the new Kindle products and recent slew of HD tablets.

History lesson:  Nook Color was released a full year before the original Kindle.  Not only proving that people wanted a color LCD reader (nobody thought it would succeed at the time, it did) but also proved that there was a market for 7" tablets (there wasn't much of a market fior them at the tie)

Tech lesson: B&N have more than likely been working on this since they released the Tablet models last year.  you don't really think they slapped this together in a month or 2 do you?

On topic:  I am actually very excited about these and the video service.  Wondering whether I want the 7 or the 9.  I am surprised that there is no camera, but thinking on it I really have no use for one on a Tablet as I don't Skype, but I know others do want it.