Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

Re: BN announces new NOOK HD and HD+

on the dual core versus quad core (nexus) debate:  the chip in this tablet stands up very respectably against the tegra 3 -- take a look at http://www.anandtech.com/show/6158/the-archos-101-xs-review/3 for some details.

(based on a very quick search, so if there's a big configuration element I'm missing, apologies.)

Reviewers are saying the screen is better than the nexus, which wouldn't surprise me too much - Asus screens are getting better, but to my eye continue to sport a lot of internal reflection compared to others. 

On the partitioning - if it's using an MTP interface, you'll probably be able to use most of the internal storage, albeit not easily with Calibre.

What I'd really like to see is BN adopting the approach HTC has taken with my phone - the SDcard can be mounted as vanilla mass storage (and unmounted from Android) on connect.  The internal storage seems to be presented as modified MTP or similar if I choose "sync" connect.  Since I never do, I'm not clear on what's happening there but want to look a bit harder later in the day. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
fkm71

After my disappointment in my NT I do not find myself wowed by this announcement.  I can't even read a book on my NT without experiencing page turn issues in every book.  I don't care about the new hardware. It doesn't have a camera and I bet the page turn issue still exists on these new tablets.  

I lost my **trust** in B&N with the NT.  I don't mind the limited apps and no Google Play Store.  I don't even mind the lack of a camera.  However, the music player is woefully inadequate and the reader software, something they are apparently proud of, has issues with page turning.  

Not wowed at all.  Yawn!

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

Re: Introducing NOOK HD & NOOK HD+

Nice devices at a nice price.  I especially like the multiple profiles...I wish they would migrate that down to the NT.

No camera?  Not a deal breaker but definitely a minus.

Definitely nothing that indicates anything "revolutionary" about the screen though (which was the rumor).

The 7 inch looks like it is geared toward women and children physically (looks like something sold at Toys R Us).

May have to send the NT I just bought for the kids back and look at the new 7 inch.

Contributor
ColorTabUser

I wonder just how accurate the screen is in terms of color display? The nook Color/Tablet has 24-bit color, it's calibrated well, and has very good contrast. Pixel density and resolution isn't the be all and end all of screen quality.

Contributor
Mondayn

I was actually referring to the name, which is completely uninventive and a direct rip from Amazon's product. As for the history: the original Nook that launched the line was completely lifted from Spring Designs. They entered into talks under an NDA and purposefuly used the design for their own intents and broke the NDA with Spring Designs. This led to a settlement that forced them to pay Spring Designs and ultimately drew them away from the original Nook line to produce the devices that they currently sell.

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

I was less surprised by the lack of camera than gps or nfc. Cameras on phones are so prevalent I don't see it as a minus. GPS opens up new navigation and social uses. Of course tracking customers is dominated by Google, but cost is possibly an issue. The blue tooth may allow BN to stock and sell more accessories, a big deal since cases, keyboards, speakers, offset selling tablets near cost. I do think they should keep selling the NT in the $125.00 - $150.00 range if they can break even, especially if the device can handle the OS updates, the processer seems up to it.
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980

Mondayn wrote:

I was actually referring to the name, which is completely uninventive and a direct rip from Amazon's product. As for the history: the original Nook that launched the line was completely lifted from Spring Designs. They entered into talks under an NDA and purposefuly used the design for their own intents and broke the NDA with Spring Designs. This led to a settlement that forced them to pay Spring Designs and ultimately drew them away from the original Nook line to produce the devices that they currently sell.

"HD" has been in product names long before the KF was a twinkle is Bezos' bald head.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

fkm71: After my disappointment in my NT I do not find myself wowed by this announcement.  I can't even read a book on my NT without experiencing page turn issues in every book.  I don't care about the new hardware. It doesn't have a camera and I bet the page turn issue still exists on these new tablets. 

I lost my **trust** in B&N with the NT.  I don't mind the limited apps and no Google Play Store.  I don't even mind the lack of a camera.  However, the music player is woefully inadequate and the reader software, something they are apparently proud of, has issues with page turning. 

Not wowed at all.  Yawn!

I'll admit that the devices sound really neat and are pretty solid entries into the arena, and I wish B&N well with their new toys. But my feelings are basically the same as those expressed here, although spawned by different reasons.  As I've said in other threads, I'm tired of fighting B&N for control of something that's supposed to be mine. Because of B&N's control issues, the only way I would ever  consider buying one of them is if a dual-bootable sd card (like the N2A and Android4Nook cards) is ever developed for them so that I wouldn't be subject to B&N's whims. And then I'd have to ask myself why not just buy something like the Nexus 7 or Samsung's 7" model? 

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

"HD" has been in product names long before the KF was a twinkle is Bezos' bald head.

Quite. On that notion, my cheap 12" 720p LCD TV ripped off the "HD" name from Amazon at least two and a half years before the Kindletab HD was unveiled, which is either (1) a tremendous job of industrial espionage in a project in its very, very early phases or (2) using the common term for the 720p and 1080p video resolutions. I'm guessing the latter.

Note however that if B&N did directly "rip off" the name ~ if they said, "let's just see what Amazon does with naming the next generation, and follow suit" ... it would be an insane thing to complain about. Which is more important for the actual use of the product ... the best display in class or the best name for the devices?

roustabout

TNT asks "why not just buy something like the Nexus 7 or Samsung's 7" model?"

The N7 has no sd card slot, and is 250 for 16 gig of storage.  

The currently shipping Samsung 7 incher doesn't have one of the really good Samsung displays.

The new device will almost certainly be rooted, but it will almost certainly involve some work to root and maintain root.  

The lack of camera isn't an issue to me.  (I've only used one touchscreen device with a non-silly camera so far, and I'd rather have no camera and a less expensive device than a goofy camera and a more expensive device.) The lack of GPS probably isn't an issue, though I'll want to think about that a bit.  I actually like having location-enabled features, but that can be enabled using wifi if the app is designed to permit that.  I'm just not clear on how many apps are designed that way lately.  

I'll say this:  up until today, I'd been leaning toward getting an N7 (I have a birthday swirling around) but now, I'm reconsidering.  

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Distinguished Wordsmith
PeterDe

Wow, Julie and the kids must be thrilled by this. Not so sure about the rest of us.
Some people can't see the forest for the trees!

4 Nook Household, 2 NOOKs, 2 NOOKcolors
keriflur

roustabout wrote:

I'll say this:  up until today, I'd been leaning toward getting an N7 (I have a birthday swirling around) but now, I'm reconsidering.  

FWIW, I don't see anything here that makes me regret my decision to get an N7.  YMMV, of course. :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
TnTexas

[ Edited ]

roustabout: TNT asks "why not just buy something like the Nexus 7 or Samsung's 7" model?"

The N7 has no sd card slot, and is 250 for 16 gig of storage. 

The currently shipping Samsung 7 incher doesn't have one of the really good Samsung displays.

LOL! Fair points.And it's true that different things are important to different people. For me though, those two things aren't dealbreakers so I'm left wondering why a Nook product with an N2A/Android4Nook card would be the better alternative for me than a general-purpose tablet since I wouldn't be spending much time on the Nook side of the device - assuming the prices and performances of the devices are comparable, of course. 

The new device will almost certainly be rooted, but it will almost certainly involve some work to root and maintain root.

Given the rooting community's love of a challenge, I would be stunned if that wasn't the case. :smileyhappy:

Contributor
Magic_Emrys
0 Kudos

I'm so worried about the Tablet being left at the wayside. Then again I'm hoping this will bring in some new freaking apps!

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

TnTexas wrote:

... I'm left wondering why a Nook product with an N2A/Android4Nook card would be the better alternative for me than a general-purpose tablet ...

It seems highly unlikely that it is. If you want the best price/performance with an open 7n skinnytab, wait until the open tablet makers have their 2012 Christmas lineups in place, and pick your poison. If you are app-centric enough that you preferred an open smartphone stock Android 2.3 to the Nook home, 99% chance you'll strongly prefer an open Jelly Bean system to an upgraded Nook home with first ICS then Jelly Bean under the hood.

Myself, if my cheap Chinese Jelly Bean skinnytab and Nook Color are side by side, I'll pick up the Nook, and if its a choice between launching Zeamer to use the superior YouTube app and opening the Nook browser for the bookmark to the lower quality mobile web YouTube front end, I'll open the Nook browser. I like having the last book I read always there and having the last few right on the home page just that much. Indeed, I set up my keysaver app to bring up the B&N home with the nook key and the Zeamer home only with the soft home key, since even when I'm running an app I launched out of Zeamer, I'd more often than not want to get to the Nook home screen.

My main concern is whether there will be Flash video support ~ either built into the stock browser or via a Nook app browser. No Flash video support would be a deal breaker for me.

keriflur
0 Kudos

BruceMcF wrote:
My main concern is whether there will be Flash video support ~ either built into the stock browser or via a Nook app browser. No Flash video support would be a deal breaker for me.

There will be no flash without sideloading at least one app (the flash.apk, and possibly a browser that will support it).  Adobe's policy, not B&N's choice.

FWIW, flash is working just fine on my N7 with the Xscope browser, so I'm sure there will be a way to make it work on the new nooks, but it won't be out of the box.

Distinguished Correspondent
sparky_80

keriflur wrote:

FWIW, I don't see anything here that makes me regret my decision to get an N7.  YMMV, of course. :smileyhappy:

Same here.  I am really happy with the N7.  

IF I hadn't bought the N7 and IF it was easy to root the NT HD and put decent apps on it, I would consider it.

No front camera is kind of a bummer.  I do use the one on the N7.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

There will be no flash without sideloading at least one app (the flash.apk, and possibly a browser that will support it).  Adobe's policy, not B&N's choice.

FWIW, flash is working just fine on my N7 with the Xscope browser, so I'm sure there will be a way to make it work on the new nooks, but it won't be out of the box.

Its not out of the box that I'm concerned about, but whether there will be a Flash-supporting Nook app browser. Flash support is why the app store limits are an annoyance to me rather than a deal breaker.

I may end up upgrading from my $150 refurb Nook Color to a $135 refurb Nook Tablet v1, and wait and see whether they get JManga, Crunchyroll and Funimation apps into the Nook app store by this time next year.

keriflur
0 Kudos

BruceMcF wrote:

keriflur wrote:

Its not out of the box that I'm concerned about, but whether there will be a Flash-supporting Nook app browser. Flash support is why the app store limits are an annoyance to me rather than a deal breaker.

I may end up upgrading from my $150 refurb Nook Color to a $135 refurb Nook Tablet v1, and wait and see whether they get JManga, Crunchyroll and Funimation apps into the Nook app store by this time next year.

Even if the nook browser doesn't support, you'll likely be able to root and install Xscope, which does support it.  FWIW.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Wonder if the brainiacs included a "delete all" in the email program.

Yeah...a front facing camera would have been the bomb.