Wordsmith
TnTexas

Re: Introducing NOOK HD & NOOK HD+

BruceMcF: Myself, if my cheap Chinese Jelly Bean skinnytab and Nook Color are side by side, I'll pick up the Nook, and if its a choice between launching Zeamer to use the superior YouTube app and opening the Nook browser for the bookmark to the lower quality mobile web YouTube front end, I'll open the Nook browser. I like having the last book I read always there and having the last few right on the home page just that much.

I totally get this. I feel the same way which is why after some serious consideration, I decided an ereader with benefits (like the Nook Color/Tablet and the Kindle Fires) is more what I want than a general purpose tablet (sort of already have one of those with my android smartphone, anyway). Although between B&N's controlling tendencies and Amazon's aggressive marketing trends, I suspect general-purpose tabletland is where I'll eventually wind up. 

Contributor
Cerunan
0 Kudos

@TnTexas - I feel exactly the same way and with the ability to use nook on a regular windows tablet on the way (http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2012/09/barnes-noble-microsoft-to-bring-enhanced-reading-expe... I suspect the last device I buy from B&N will be my NT, but I'm sure I'll be buying many more books - and isn't that what B&N does best (sell books)?
Inspired Scribe
orb9220

[ Edited ]

Same here have lost me as a customer. Refusal to address fixes & bugs. Lack of productive apps fitting in with more of my need less children & games and more productivity apps.

Biggest straw was lack of communication with users. Lack of acknowledgment and intent on addressing outstanding issues.

As far as I'm concerned no relationship can remain healthy and survive under those conditions.

And could have kept me. Started with Original Nook and up the ereader ladder. Total of 3 devices over 2 years.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb

[ Edited ]
Orb220, I don't think you are their target customer. Your frustration about the apps especially. BN has always been upfront that their market was readers, women with children first. They have added a number of productivity apps. As many as could be expected without going the Google Play route. As far as bugs, I have seen an industry average level of responsiveness. Admittedly that is not great, but not especially deserving a high level of frustration. We're your expectations for BN to choose an open device? Once the NT came out that clearly wasn't happening. I find the ongoing, especially from modders, almost bitterness, because BN chose a different path odd. Companies move up market, down market, reinvent themselves all the time. You make frequent posts, it seems almost like you take it personally.
Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

TnTexas wrote:

BruceMcF: Myself, if my cheap Chinese Jelly Bean skinnytab and Nook Color are side by side, I'll pick up the Nook, and if its a choice between launching Zeamer to use the superior YouTube app and opening the Nook browser for the bookmark to the lower quality mobile web YouTube front end, I'll open the Nook browser. I like having the last book I read always there and having the last few right on the home page just that much.

I totally get this. I feel the same way which is why after some serious consideration, I decided an ereader with benefits (like the Nook Color/Tablet and the Kindle Fires) is more what I want than a general purpose tablet (sort of already have one of those with my android smartphone, anyway). Although between B&N's controlling tendencies and Amazon's aggressive marketing trends, I suspect general-purpose tabletland is where I'll eventually wind up. 

The only plausible option I can see for B&N themselves doing any more opening up their Nook Tablet devices is developing an added cost alternate Win8/RT install which is open to the Metro store ... since B&N looks to be the default online bookstore for Win8-Metro. Irrespective of the arguments over the financial trade-offs of opening up, I just don't see B&N corporate going for allowing GooglePlay, which is their number 2 competitor after Amazon's Kindle stores.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

For me, whether or not they keep me will depend on what they do with the NT.  If they stop development for a 1 year old device, then I know they have a very short time-frame planned obsolescence strategy and I will be better off elsewhere (even Apple).  They have a device capable of running (presumably) their latest and greatest software (or at least an ICS port) and if they leave it hanging that tells me a lot about the company.

I too have been around since the N1E 3G but with the Nook apps, there is no real incentive to buy BN hardware unless they are willing to put resources into keeping it relevant past the 1 year time fram.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

For me, whether or not they keep me will depend on what they do with the NT.  If they stop development for a 1 year old device, then I know they have a very short time-frame planned obsolescence strategy and I will be better off elsewhere (even Apple).  They have a device capable of running (presumably) their latest and greatest software (or at least an ICS port) and if they leave it hanging that tells me a lot about the company.

I too have been around since the N1E 3G but with the Nook apps, there is no real incentive to buy BN hardware unless they are willing to put resources into keeping it relevant past the 1 year time fram.

I don't see any reason to expect that they will stop development for the NT v1 ... after all, they kept up development for the Nook Color for the year after they introduced the Nook Tablet, and the most recent upgrade to let the Nook Color to read panel by panel Nook book format comics (double tap the panel to zoom) has been is already has to date been months before it rolled out to their general Nook app for Android.

After all, stuff that the Nook Tablet v1 cannot access is stuff they cannot sell to Nook Tablet v1 owners, and more people upgrade on two year cycles than on annual cycles.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

I have mixed feelings.  As an engineer, I love the design on these new Nooks.  Excellent display, decent performance specs, 4050 mAh battery, better speakers, kept the SD card storage -- all-in-all, quality engineering with a touch of design that the Fire and Fire HD lack.  I am surprised they got rid of the lashpoint on the 7-inch HD but the 7-inch HD looks like it borrowed some design touches from the NST.

I wanted a Nook maxi more than a mini and we sort of got that here but I still think a Nook for school texts and magazines should be about the dimension of an 8.5x11 pad of paper.  9 inches means this is probably too big for me to just slide in my pockets like I do with the 7-inchers but it's still not big enough to truly replicate the paper experience when I'm reading National Geographic.

I can understand a desire for GPS (although any use of GPS is a power pig) but I still don't understand why anyone cares about having a camera on a tablet.  I keep my Powershot A2200 nearby when I want to take quick photos and my Rebel T2i for better photos.  For quick happy snaps I can always use my Android smartphone or my iPod Touch -- why would I ever want to use a sub-par lens and a platform as awkward as a tablet?

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I agree it is likely that NT & NT are likely to receive the ability to take advantage of the video store and maybe a few features like the profiles, these things are not that device dependent, and BN app will need to support those features anyway. Basic OS development and bug fix work on the NC is probably over. I wouldn't be surprised if the home screen and shop access is unchanged for the NC. I would expect the NT to receive the new home screen etc. If past upgrades are any gage a number of users will like the old home screen better.
Inspired Scribe
orb9220

patgolfneb wrote:
Orb220, I don't think you are their target customer. Your frustration about the apps especially. BN has always been upfront that their market was readers, women with children first. They have added a number of productivity apps. As many as could be expected without going the Google Play route. As far as bugs, I have seen an industry average level of responsiveness. Admittedly that is not great, but not especially deserving a high level of frustration. We're your expectations for BN to choose an open device? Once the NT came out that clearly wasn't happening. I find the ongoing, especially from modders, almost bitterness, because BN chose a different path odd. Companies move up market, down market, reinvent themselves all the time. You make frequent posts, it seems almost like you take it personally.

Well maybe a tad personally like with many others not being listened too or acknowledged falling on deaf ears and mute voice from B&N is the main point of bitterness. Constant silence or ignoring customers isn't my idea of how things should be. Even just one-sided announcements of what is coming in the way of fixes or upgrades would have been appreciated.

And on my part most likely some unrealistic expectations. It is why my nook color will be the last B&N purchase. And no more book buying or content from B&N for me.

As to open device nope knew what I was getting into and didn't have much other afordable choices back then.  As any bugs,fixes or improved features or lacking in features I thought would be addressed in upgrades. I didn't want to go to CM7 for my needs in ereading & pdf's but B&N lack of response and lack of upgrading and fixing of core ereading pretty much forced me to achieve the level of ereading experience I needed.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Frequent Contributor
P38Lightning
0 Kudos

"Wonder if the brainiacs included a "delete all" in the email program."

No, the above would have been the bomb. Even my rooted Galaxy Nexus doesn't have that incredibly simple function!

Contributor
Mondayn

orb9220 wrote:

patgolfneb wrote:

Well maybe a tad personally like with many others not being listened too or acknowledged falling on deaf ears and mute voice from B&N is the main point of bitterness. Constant silence or ignoring customers isn't my idea of how things should be. Even just one-sided announcements of what is coming in the way of fixes or upgrades would have been appreciated.

And on my part most likely some unrealistic expectations. It is why my nook color will be the last B&N purchase. And no more book buying or content from B&N for me.

As to open device nope knew what I was getting into and didn't have much other afordable choices back then.  As any bugs,fixes or improved features or lacking in features I thought would be addressed in upgrades. I didn't want to go to CM7 for my needs in ereading & pdf's but B&N lack of response and lack of upgrading and fixing of core ereading pretty much forced me to achieve the level of ereading experience I needed.

I don't expect anything more than the horrible level of support that corporate offers. Their booksellers are always left completely in the dark and are the ones who meet the customers face-to-face on a daily basis with questions that they can not answer because of corporate's lack of communication. Their horrendous business practices will be the end of their retail presence if it's not corrected. It's such a shame too, because there are many good workers with exceptional talent in their company that go to waste because of their lack of communication.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

BruceMcF: The only plausible option I can see for B&N themselves doing any more opening up their Nook Tablet devices is developing an added cost alternate Win8/RT install which is open to the Metro store ... since B&N looks to be the default online bookstore for Win8-Metro. Irrespective of the arguments over the financial trade-offs of opening up, I just don't see B&N corporate going for allowing GooglePlay, which is their number 2 competitor after Amazon's Kindle stores.

I'm not talking about opening up the Nook when I talk about B&N having control issues. I understand why they want a closed device and believe they have every right to sell one that's as closed as they want it to be. I'm talking about making changes to the device once it's already in the customers' hands - changes that change how the device looks and functions, like changing the size of the icons on the homescreen and making it so that icons for 3rd-party apps (apps that were sideloaded when that was still a possibility) won't function anymore. That's the kind of situation I'm talking about. I don't like having someone reach in from the outside and mess with my tablet so that it winds up doing less than it would when I bought it.

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat

Omnigeek wrote:

... I still don't understand why anyone cares about having a camera on a tablet.  I keep my Powershot A2200 nearby when I want to take quick photos and my Rebel T2i for better photos.  For quick happy snaps I can always use my Android smartphone or my iPod Touch -- why would I ever want to use a sub-par lens and a platform as awkward as a tablet?

A low-res front-facing video camera for video chat is a common wishlist feature.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
roustabout

TNT asks "wondering why a Nook product with an N2A/Android4Nook card would be the better alternative for me than a general-purpose tablet"

For you, absolutely the general purpose tablet would be better.  Your level of unhappiness with your nook tab in the last year has been evident.   

For me, the software that comes preinstalled is almost an afterthought, since I'm confident that I can modify the software.  The display is the key thing and the Nooks have had excellent displays up until now.  At least one early reviews liked this display better than the n7 display.  

A high quality 9 inch tablet with a bluetooth out option may well be too tempting to ignore.  (I am loving having bluetooth in my car now that I've taken a JVC handsfree kit, gotten it to work passably with the onboard audio, and hacked together an otterbox holster to fit an odd center console compartment my car has to make a pretty decent phone holder which, when the phone's not there, doesn't look like my car has much added to it.

(I considered, briefly, replacing the stereo entirely with a BT deck, but realize that given the neighborhood I work in, a big part of why my car hasn't been broken into is that the radio is the factory radio.  So I went for replacing the speakers but left the radio alone.)  

I haven't asked for a preorder yet, though :smileyhappy:

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
LoganK

orb9220 wrote:

I understand your point, and it is really frustrating because it would be so easy for the company to be better ... but who do you turn to?

Kobo might great, but I haven't given them a try. Google, Amazon, Apple, and Microsoft are no better. (Amazon at least offers a full refund while ignoring you.) I suppose you could go back to paper book stores where there is often great service, but I really like eBooks.

The reality is, unless you are dealing with a small start-up with a clear vision, companies don't communicate with customers. They don't acknowledge problems until those problems are too big to ignore. They don't announce their plans until just before they are ready to move. It stinks, and, in these days of social media, dealing with these companies can easily make you feel like an afterthought.

The alternative is to only support small companies that reach out to their customers, but that means you miss out on almost everything in the world. Most people aren't willing to do that.

Distinguished Correspondent
JMTR

Omnigeek wrote:

I still don't understand why anyone cares about having a camera on a tablet. I keep my Powershot A2200 nearby when I want to take quick photos and my Rebel T2i for better photos. 

Not a camera for snapshots; a front-facing camera for videoconferencing. Particularly on the Nook HD+, this is a curious omission. It actually doesn't matter to me personally, because I don't use Skype. However, if I were considering purchasing a tablet for my wife as a gift, the absence of such a camera would hurt. "Here's a great new tablet that, in addition to everything else it does, looks as though it would be perfect for video chats. And it's a lot less awkward to hold than a laptop or netbook while you're sitting on the couch. Only ... it doesn't have a camera."

I also think that, especially for the 9" form factor, prospective buyers may miss the camera even if they don't know for certain what they would do with it. "Well, the iPad has a camera, and the Fire has a camera ... aren't these things just supposed to have cameras?!" I think a camera should have been included if only to avoid this kind of potential veto. Price isn't everything, especially when the overall quality of the device appears to be very high. No reason to create possible deal-killers.

keriflur
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote: 

The display is the key thing and the Nooks have had excellent displays up until now.  At least one early reviews liked this display better than the n7 display.  

The N7 display is acceptable at best, and I say that as someone who has a good one - there are a lot out there with stange discoloration (yellow or grey) or with varying degrees of light bleed.  If display is important, I expect you'll be much happier with one of the new nooks.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

Sun_Cat wrote:

A low-res front-facing video camera for video chat is a common wishlist feature.

I kind of expected it to be included, though I can't say I'm all that shocked that they left it out ... how good is "good enough" is an issue, the cost of staffing up for that particular skillset is an issue, squeezing down the parts cost and power drain is likely to be a minor issue (which they have an HDMI-out on a dongle rather than a mini-HDMI-out port, for instance) ... there's a line of thought that you shouldn't step into a feature that is right in the wheelhouse of one of your biggest rivals, unless its either a must-have, or unless you can knock it out of the park as well, and there's no doubt that (after lagging at first) cameras are right in Apples wheelhouse at this point in time.

Its not an issue for me, though I do think that a 9in tablet without a camera option probably ought to work well as a host storage device for a camera, for which card swapping is not good enough ~ it should support USB hosting.

keriflur

BruceMcF wrote:
 ... there's a line of thought that you shouldn't step into a feature that is right in the wheelhouse of one of your biggest rivals, unless its either a must-have, or unless you can knock it out of the park as well, and there's no doubt that (after lagging at first) cameras are right in Apples wheelhouse at this point in time.

Someone should have told Apple that before they went and tried to make a maps application.  :smileywink:

As for the camera, I do think they should have included a front-facing one, but I'm betting the cost issue was a factor.  The N7 has one but Asus definitely skimped in other hardware areas (like, for instance, the rest of the device), whereas B&N's focus is very clearly on the quality of the screen.