Contributor
paraguay2009
0 Kudos

BN website is HORRIBLE

My brother and his wife bought me a nook as a gift.  I am wishing they had bought me a kindle as b&n's website is truly horrible.  I click on things or scroll down and I have to wait for the website to respond.  Has any one else had this problem and if so why isn't b&n doing anything to correct it??????????

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

Re: BN website is HORRIBLE

Gift horse. Mouth.

Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

The website seems slower than normal today. Perhaps that is part of the problem.
Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat

[ Edited ]

paraguay2009 wrote:

I am wishing they had bought me a kindle as b&n's website is truly horrible.

Be careful what you wish for. Kindle is a closed device. It can only read ebooks bought at Amazon or created in Amazon's proprietary format. NOOK uses a standard format -- epub. You can buy ebooks for your NOOK at a number of different websites. One of the best is Google Play Books. You can also get thousands of free ebooks for your NOOK at many sites. I recommend ManyBooks.net.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

paraguay2009 wrote:

My brother and his wife bought me a nook as a gift.  I am wishing they had bought me a kindle as b&n's website is truly horrible.  I click on things or scroll down and I have to wait for the website to respond.  Has any one else had this problem and if so why isn't b&n doing anything to correct it??????????

Must be a personal thing, because I HATE Amazon's and Google's sites for searching for books.  I actually think B&N is pretty good for searching for books.

Is it possible your slow loading problems are due to the machine you're using for web browsing?  I did notice it was running a little slower than normal on friday morning, but nothing disconcerting.  However, whenever I've been on the website through my wife's NT or my parent's NC it loads very slowly.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Inspired Correspondent
DeltaT
0 Kudos

B&N really does have one of the slowest, dumbest commercial web site I've ever seen.

I have 30 MBPS, but that doesn't help when each piece of information I send is inspected for 5-15 seconds.  Last night, it took over 20 minutes to buy a book, from an iPad at 30 MBPS.

And the worst thing is that they don't even show as much on their web pages as other companies do.  I always have this sense that they are completely rewriting my profile whenever I click anything.

Wordsmith
Fred011
0 Kudos

paraguay2009 wrote:

Are you referring to the "Shop" function on the Nook, or the web site accessed by a browser?

If the latter, what browser are you using?  I was using an old version of IE and had a terrible time with the B&N site.  Someone on here recommended trying a new browser.  I began using Firefox and have had no problems.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Sorry some people are having problems, but they aren't universal. I almost never have issues with B&N's website--the shop, anyway. It took me about a minute and a half to load the web site, search for a book, click through to the book I wanted, log in, and buy it from my iPad Thursday night. This is usual for me. Accessing the shop from my N2E is usually faster. Usually my issues are with the forums.
Contributor
paraguay2009
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

thanks for all the responses.  i dont know what it is about this website but surfing for books takes so long i just give up.  and really any browser should work i mean come on.

Wordsmith
Fred011
0 Kudos

paraguay2009 wrote:

thanks for all the responses.  i dont know what it is about this website but surfing for books takes so long i just give up.  and really any browser should work i mean come on.

Any browser did work, but the problem with my older version (remember I mentioned that) of IE was that it was behaving EXACTLY as you describe the problems you are facing.  The switch to the latest version of Firefox corrected all of my problems.  My IE would also completely "stall" on Target's web page, literally do nothing after beginning to fully open the page.

My comments were aimed at alerting you to a possible problem that I had actually experienced.  Sorry, if it amused you.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

paraguay2009 wrote:

As has been pointed out,. you don't ever need to visit the bn.com NOOK Bookstore again.  Your NOOK will be perfectly serviceable if you never make another purchase with B&N, ever.

So, quit visiting the bn.com site, go to Kobo, Google or Sony, buy some books and read.

Or you can continue to sound like an ungrateful brat; I hope your brother and sister-in-law don't visit the bn.com forums.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

OR you can buy books directly from your Nook.

By the way, this website always works fine for me using Chrome.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

OR you can buy books directly from your Nook.

By the way, this website always works fine for me using Chrome.

Me too Alan.  I use Chrome almost exclusively and I don't have any issues with the site at all.

Contributor
pisceschick

I also use Chrome almost exclusively and have had a terrible time of it on the B&N website this week.  For starters, the pages take a very long time to load.  Then I click the orange BUY button, watch it go gray for a short time, and groan as it flips back to orange without making the purchase.

Switching to Firefox has solved the problem for now.

Distinguished Correspondent
Jadjuka

I use Safari and have no trouble what so ever. The BN site loads in nanoseconds to maybe a second. Could be because you're internet isn't powerful enough? Since I'm a Mac gamer I need all the horsepower I can get so I use broadband internet. 

Unless you're trying to look for books on your nook in which case if you're net is protected by a fire wire than maybe that's why it's running slow? ^^; I still don't have any trouble.

As for the Kindle... You do know it's closed source...right? Oh well now you know.

Reader 4
Lil_bookette

I feel your pain. I'd assumed that my problem was because I had an older computer, but after getting a new one, I still have the same issues. I can't even scroll the product pages without them getting hung up constantly. Google chrome and IE give me the same results. I have no problem with Amazon's site. It zips right along, so does every other website for that matter. I'm wondering is it my virus protection software or some other setting that just doesn't like the B&N code. 

Contributor
pisceschick
0 Kudos

Bookette, my guess is you're right about it being the coding.  I had switched to Firefox, but the problem seems to have finally caught up to me there.  When I mouse over the buy button, "freesample" shows up in the link.

I've noticed people talking about having problems in several different venues, so something is certainly afoot. 

Frequent Contributor
rafalweb
0 Kudos

I've never had a problem with the BN site as far as speed and navigation go.  It could be the site is slow, which happens to every site....do you know how many times I've give up on Gmail for the same reason?  It could be your computer, it could be your network connection...I don't know the condition of your system, or your computer skills, so I cannot judge those.  But before blaming the BN site for all of the problems, check other circumstances that could be making your experience worse.   I have certainly never experienced all the things you are describing.

Reader 4
Lil_bookette
0 Kudos

I've tested through the site and I have no problems with the front page of B&N, my wishlist, my account page, my nook page, the forums, or my Pubit pages. They all load fine and move smoothly. The problem comes in on the product pages. Even when they seem to have fully loaded, the page will not scroll without sticking/hanging up as it moves. This goes the same for when I search for something, the page listing the search results gives me the same problems. So that leaves me being able to do everything except look at the products I want to buy.

Contributor
cartooncool
0 Kudos

I also have the sticking when scrolling on product pages. I noticed it does it when I am using the Chrome browser on Window 7. It doesn't stick when i use Firefox or IE. For me at least, it is a Chrome browser problem.