Reply
Contributor
Fred_
Posts: 20
Registered: ‎01-07-2013
0 Kudos

Backup for purchased books?

I just purchased a book for my new NOOK HD, and accidently deleted it (I had downloaded the sample and was trying to delete the sample but ended up deleting the purchased book).  I called customer support and they were very helpful.  They pushed out another copy of the book to my device and all is well now.

 

That got me to thinking, as I accumulate books, what happens someday if the device fails, is stolen, broken, etc.  Can I re-download all the books I have purchased on a replacement device?  Is there a way to back them up?  Maybe it is better to store books I'm not currently reading in the cloud?

 

I first tried to just go to the shop again, expecting it to show this was a book I had already purchased and thinking it would just allow me to download another copy.  But this wasn't possible so I had to call customer support. 

 

 

 

 

 

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
Posts: 1,119
Registered: ‎01-09-2010

Re: Backup for purchased books?


Fred_ wrote:

I just purchased a book for my new NOOK HD, and accidently deleted it (I had downloaded the sample and was trying to delete the sample but ended up deleting the purchased book).  I called customer support and they were very helpful.  They pushed out another copy of the book to my device and all is well now.

 

That got me to thinking, as I accumulate books, what happens someday if the device fails, is stolen, broken, etc.  Can I re-download all the books I have purchased on a replacement device?  Is there a way to back them up?  Maybe it is better to store books I'm not currently reading in the cloud?

 

I first tried to just go to the shop again, expecting it to show this was a book I had already purchased and thinking it would just allow me to download another copy.  But this wasn't possible so I had to call customer support. 

 

 

 


I have a NE1 Nook, a Simple Touch, a NC and a HD+. All my books are available on all my devices, non archived books downloaded automatically on all except the HD+, they are in the"cloud" and have to be individually downloaded. I have had to replace the NE1, and the NC and my books showed up on my replacement devices if they were not archived already but I have the choice to make them active for download.

 

Do be aware that if a book stops being carried at BN, it will no longer be available to you for download. You will then have to find it elsewhere and repurchase.

 

As a precaution, I download ALL of my books onto my PC via Nook for PC, import them into Calibre using my USB drive for the Library folder. So all my books are saved, backed up, My books are now safely stored in case my device or PC fails and I don't have to worry about books that are not available for download anymore. And I can always use calibre to upload those books to my device in the case that I want to read it, but it's no longer available.

 

I have not backed up my actual device as yet, but that should be a priority if you have a lot of enhanced books that may not be compatible with the Nook for PC or the Mac version. There are others here who can tell you what is best to use. Or you can do a search here using "backup nook" or "backup books" as keywords. that should yield that information for you.

 

There are several Nook apps available for non BN devices that will have access to your library as well. As long as BN continues to carry the book, it will be available to any nook device/app registered to your BN account.

Contributor
Fred_
Posts: 20
Registered: ‎01-07-2013
0 Kudos

Re: Backup for purchased books?

Thanks for your reply! I don't like the idea that I lose a purchased book just because B&N stops selling it, so I will use your method to back up books I've purchased.

But I'm glad to hear that purchased books remain available for any future devices I may have. I just read elsewhere that the books are tied to your account, not your particular device.
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
Posts: 1,119
Registered: ‎01-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Backup for purchased books?


Fred_ wrote:
Thanks for your reply! I don't like the idea that I lose a purchased book just because B&N stops selling it, so I will use your method to back up books I've purchased.

But I'm glad to hear that purchased books remain available for any future devices I may have. I just read elsewhere that the books are tied to your account, not your particular device.

That is the way with all retailers. If they stop selling it, it becomes unavailable for download. I'm not aware of any that keep the books for download even if they no longer sell it. Once you download a book, it will stay on your device, even if it is no longer available for download. Until you unregister your device, or something happens that you lose the book from your device, that is. Best to back them up.

Contributor
Fred_
Posts: 20
Registered: ‎01-07-2013
0 Kudos

Re: Backup for purchased books?

I wonder if storing the book in the cloud when I'm finished reading it would keep it available, even if they stop selling it?
Correspondent
Wulfraed
Posts: 1,025
Registered: ‎11-24-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Backup for purchased books?


Fred_ wrote:
I wonder if storing the book in the cloud when I'm finished reading it would keep it available, even if they stop selling it?

Since it is highly unlikely that they are storing a copy of the file for every user that "clouds" a book, I'd suspect the odds are fifty/fifty. The server would have to store a copy of every book they ever sold on the chance that some user somewhere will need to refetch it.

 

The "cloud", for the most part, is just a database listing of user/book/status -- if you are listed with a book flagged cloud (or archive -- the only resl difference is that the HD doesn't show archive on the main library) then the server will allow redownload without needing to pay. The download still comes from the same servers.

 

Baron Wulfraed
Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,814
Registered: ‎12-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Backup for purchased books?

I have Somme books I purchased in 2010 published by Dorchester.  The books were pulled from the BN site, weren't available for a while and were subsequently republished by HC.  HC had purchased the rights to those books, because they were publishing the rest of the series.  

 

So when I go to my My Nook library and select the book it takes me to the one I purchased, published by Dorchester.  If I search for the book the one that comes up is the one published by HC (which is more expensive than the one I bought.). Anyway, BN apparently still has that file even if they don't sell it anymore.  I wonder if it is because it is Dorchester, who I believe went out of business?  

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
Posts: 1,119
Registered: ‎01-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Backup for purchased books?


bklvr896 wrote:

I have Somme books I purchased in 2010 published by Dorchester.  The books were pulled from the BN site, weren't available for a while and were subsequently republished by HC.  HC had purchased the rights to those books, because they were publishing the rest of the series.  

 

So when I go to my My Nook library and select the book it takes me to the one I purchased, published by Dorchester.  If I search for the book the one that comes up is the one published by HC (which is more expensive than the one I bought.). Anyway, BN apparently still has that file even if they don't sell it anymore.  I wonder if it is because it is Dorchester, who I believe went out of business?  


Does it actually tell you that you can download it? I have several books that are listed in my library, but it tells me they are no longer available for download. :smileysad: 

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
Posts: 1,619
Registered: ‎10-21-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Backup for purchased books?

I have at least one (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes) that is no longer listed as an ebook, but I have it in my library and the download button is active. Not at a home computer to see if it actually works. So, at least in some cases, it may be possible to still download them from your library if they become unavailable in general. To be on the safe side, I always back them up periodically, say about once a month is frequent enough for my purchasing habits.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
Posts: 3,544
Registered: ‎12-03-2011

Re: Backup for purchased books?

I think there are a few good reasons to back up all your books on your PC -

 

1) You aren't dependent on B&N keeping it. B&N seems to be keeping copies for some books it doesn't sell any more. However, that might change.

 

2) IF there is a problem at B&N's servers and they lose some of these books they no longer sell, you'll have your copy.

 

3) Easier to move them around if you have them with you.

 

4) There might be changes in the future around ebooks. Best to be safe and keep a copy of everything you've bought.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
Posts: 1,619
Registered: ‎10-21-2009

Re: Backup for purchased books?


RHWright wrote:

I have at least one (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes) that is no longer listed as an ebook, but I have it in my library and the download button is active. Not at a home computer to see if it actually works. So, at least in some cases, it may be possible to still download them from your library if they become unavailable in general. To be on the safe side, I always back them up periodically, say about once a month is frequent enough for my purchasing habits.


Just a quick follow-up: once I got home on my personal computer, I was able tot download the title, as expected. So, apparently, you don't always lose access to unavailable titles. But, it cannot be emphasised enough, it is always  a good idea to have your own backups, preferrably multiple.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,814
Registered: ‎12-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Backup for purchased books?


compulsivereaderTX wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

I have Somme books I purchased in 2010 published by Dorchester.  The books were pulled from the BN site, weren't available for a while and were subsequently republished by HC.  HC had purchased the rights to those books, because they were publishing the rest of the series.  

 

So when I go to my My Nook library and select the book it takes me to the one I purchased, published by Dorchester.  If I search for the book the one that comes up is the one published by HC (which is more expensive than the one I bought.). Anyway, BN apparently still has that file even if they don't sell it anymore.  I wonder if it is because it is Dorchester, who I believe went out of business?  


Does it actually tell you that you can download it? I have several books that are listed in my library, but it tells me they are no longer available for download. :smileysad: 


Yes, I downloaded it to my computer just to see.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
Posts: 1,498
Registered: ‎09-28-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Backup for purchased books?


bklvr896 wrote:

compulsivereaderTX wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

I have Somme books I purchased in 2010 published by Dorchester.  The books were pulled from the BN site, weren't available for a while and were subsequently republished by HC.  HC had purchased the rights to those books, because they were publishing the rest of the series.  

 

So when I go to my My Nook library and select the book it takes me to the one I purchased, published by Dorchester.  If I search for the book the one that comes up is the one published by HC (which is more expensive than the one I bought.). Anyway, BN apparently still has that file even if they don't sell it anymore.  I wonder if it is because it is Dorchester, who I believe went out of business?  


Does it actually tell you that you can download it? I have several books that are listed in my library, but it tells me they are no longer available for download. :smileysad: 


Yes, I downloaded it to my computer just to see.


Whether the vendor you purchased the eBook from can let you redownload it appears to be up to the copyright holder.  Personally, I think that it's in the copyright holders best interest to allow you to have access to it.  If the make their fans mad, they lose sales. 

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716