Frequent Contributor
Dinerfiend
0 Kudos

Bagged Nook Without Page Turn Buttons

I had a Nook Color and now have a Nook HD, and I "bagged" both of these when I spent time in the hospital and didn't want them to get "germy." I had no problem at all swiping or tapping the touch screen to get the pages to turn without the need for physical buttons.  I wonder whether the folks who are concerned about not being able to use the new Nook Glowlight while bagged have tried to turn the pages while bagged just using the touch screen.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Bagged Nook Without Page Turn Buttons

Dinerfiend wrote:

I had a Nook Color and now have a Nook HD, and I "bagged" both of these when I spent time in the hospital and didn't want them to get "germy." I had no problem at all swiping or tapping the touch screen to get the pages to turn without the need for physical buttons.  I wonder whether the folks who are concerned about not being able to use the new Nook Glowlight while bagged have tried to turn the pages while bagged just using the touch screen.

My understanding is that there are special waterproof bags for this that will allow you to still control the touchscreen while the device is in the bag.  I have not tried any of them though.

Correspondent
Byteguy

I honestly don't think any of the NST-type line would work well in a bag.

The screens are NOT touch sensitive like the HDs.  The NSTs use IR scanners in the gap around the edge of the screen to "see" your finger on the surface.  A bag that didn't fit perfectly would look like a really big finger (or a bunch of fingers moving around very quickly).

Read the reviews, make SURE people say they are using them with an NST, and be prepared to ship it back if it doesn't work.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

[ Edited ]

Most of the water proof device bags are of a thicker material than your typical zip-loc bag. Not sure what sort the OP used, but in most reviews, I've read that the NST (IR) touch screen feature doesn't work well.