Reply
Distinguished Correspondent
akaCat
Posts: 170
Registered: ‎03-06-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Barnes & Noble, Microsoft ink $300M deal on e-reading


Jadjuka wrote:
Not just Windows being a pain but....has anyone done any testing on those mice and keyboards?! I swear I can grow spores, molds, and fungi off of incubating those mice and keyboards alone. O.O


I hate to derail, but I just have to ask -- what's so different between Mac keyboards and the multitude of Windows keyboards that would make Mac keyboards less likely to incubate stuff? I'll grant that the trackpad and Mac mouse appear to be much easier to clean than the average Windows mouse, but a keyboard is a keyboard.

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
Posts: 814
Registered: ‎12-06-2010
0 Kudos

Re: HARSH REBUTTAL

[ Edited ]

 

AlanNJ wrote:

DeanGibson wrote:

IT IS NOT REQUIRED THAT EVERYONE KNOW ABOUT THE B&N/MICROSOFT DEAL.  None of it has anything to do with the actual usage of Nooks.  Yes, it's nice to know.  The first time.  In the appropriate forum, not blasted all over the message board.  If I want to read about it (and I do), I would go to the "Community Room".  If someone wants to read about the Nook Tablet and nothing else, that is their choice, not mine, GB18's, or anyone else (except the B&N staff).

 


THAT was exactly my point in the first place by posting on two different boards.  I don't go to the "Community Room" and until this minute didn't even know anything was posted there.  There are many boards I don't frequent on this website and my assumption is that many others are the same way.


You are correct.  Just do a search of these boards on your original post and you'll find different conversations on several boards.  Most of the posters don't know about the other discussions.

 

Like these:

 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Community-Room/Microsoft-to-Invest-in-Barnes-amp-Noble-s-Nook...

 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-General-Discussion/MS-investing-in-Nook-possible-s...

 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Simple-Touch-General/Barnes-amp-Noble-Microsoft-ink-300M...

 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Book-Discussion/Barnes-amp-Noble-Microsoft-ink-300M-deal...

 

 

Freedom is not free.
Distinguished Correspondent
Jadjuka
Posts: 162
Registered: ‎02-22-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Barnes & Noble, Microsoft ink $300M deal on e-reading


akaCat wrote:

Jadjuka wrote:
Not just Windows being a pain but....has anyone done any testing on those mice and keyboards?! I swear I can grow spores, molds, and fungi off of incubating those mice and keyboards alone. O.O


I hate to derail, but I just have to ask -- what's so different between Mac keyboards and the multitude of Windows keyboards that would make Mac keyboards less likely to incubate stuff? I'll grant that the trackpad and Mac mouse appear to be much easier to clean than the average Windows mouse, but a keyboard is a keyboard.


I wrote that becuase the keyboards and mice in college are dirty as all get out. I don't want to have to take my nook to school and touch those nasty things to update my device. At least at home I can clean my stuff. But the stories I could tell you. O.O I've seen at least twice this year alone people using the toilet and then seeing them walk out without washing their hands....and we're not talking #1 here. *shudders*

Frequent Contributor
rafalweb
Posts: 177
Registered: ‎07-26-2010

Re: Barnes & Noble, Microsoft ink $300M deal on e-reading

All this bellyaching about Windows, Mac OS, which has the bugs out, which will work with Nook, which won't...it's all very silly.   Windows and Mac OS both have lots of bugs, and always will.   Both accomplish the same thing.  It would be silly for Mac to not be support, considering ow many people are purchasing Macs today, a fact that, I'm sure, is npt lost on Microsoft, OR BN.  So, Mac users, I would not panic.  As long as Macs are selling like hotcackes, you will be abe to use Nook with Mac.

 

And, remember...the only place that either OS is better than the other is within the hearts of the die-hards.  Not in reality.  

Frequent Contributor
nathan_kull
Posts: 26
Registered: ‎08-22-2011

Re: Barnes & Noble, Microsoft ink $300M deal on e-reading

Not to continue the trend, but posting about how this should not be in x forum and the continuing converstation that took place after that post has wasted much more of my time than any cross-post would have.   How about we leave moderation to those who are designated to provide it. (Yes, I realize this post just made me a hypocrite)

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
Posts: 1,998
Registered: ‎01-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Barnes & Noble, Microsoft ink $300M deal on e-reading


Jadjuka wrote:

I've got a question but I think mostly its AlanNJ that could best explain this or answer this for me. With the marriage of BN to MC, do you think that the nooks will continue to still be supported for macs? Best thing I can think of is my whole family uses macs. Been with it since OS6. 

 

Anyways my question is with MC being as they are, does this mean the nooks and the nook apps now be Windows only or will they still continue to be available/usable for both platforms? One thing I'm sort of cringing on is having any future nooks be more compatible or have extra features if you use Windows or even an XBox Live account to some extent or other.

 

This is just me now so anyone out there please don't hate; but I use Windows at school and they are frustrating which is why I like OSX. But I'd hate to have to take my nook to school for an update or for extra goodies. Not just Windows being a pain but....has anyone done any testing on those mice and keyboards?! I swear I can grow spores, molds, and fungi off of incubating those mice and keyboards alone. O.O



The simple answer to that question is another one.

 

Can you still buy Microsoft Office for the Mac?

 

The answer to that question is yes.

 

Seriously though, B&N is in the business of selling books (digital content), as majority stake holder of the new Nook subsidiary, I'm sure they have no intention of ignoring such a large number of potential customers.

 

Frequent Contributor
Loyd
Posts: 44
Registered: ‎08-17-2009

Re: Barnes & Noble, Microsoft ink $300M deal on e-reading

I think it should be noted that Microsoft was one of the first suppliers of software for Apple computers and has continued to support Apple and the Mac platform. As LarryOnLI pointed out, they also continue to invest in improving their products for the Mac.

 

The old idea of competition between Apple and Microsoft has largely faded. The two machines take different approaches to computing but they are both solid, mature platforms. We have nothing to fear from this merger of interests. B&N brings something to the table MS needs and vice versa. Both companies are benefited and both have a vested interest in making it work.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,552
Registered: ‎01-05-2010

Re: Barnes & Noble, Microsoft ink $300M deal on e-reading


nathan_kull wrote:

Not to continue the trend, but posting about how this should not be in x forum and the continuing converstation that took place after that post has wasted much more of my time than any cross-post would have.   How about we leave moderation to those who are designated to provide it. (Yes, I realize this post just made me a hypocrite)


If I recall correctly, we don't actually have mods in these forums.  Alex is a Community Manager, not a mod (I remember this was a big deal way back when, before Sam came on in the same role).  Maybe that's part of the problem here?  Maybe we've gotten a little to used to policing ourselves.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,552
Registered: ‎01-05-2010

Re: Barnes & Noble, Microsoft ink $300M deal on e-reading

FWIW, this almost-completly-OT thread has more posts in it than the actual discussion thread.

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
Posts: 788
Registered: ‎12-03-2011

Re: Barnes & Noble, Microsoft ink $300M deal on e-reading


keriflur wrote:

FWIW, this almost-completly-OT thread has more posts in it than the actual discussion thread.


Which one? :catlol:

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,552
Registered: ‎01-05-2010

Re: Barnes & Noble, Microsoft ink $300M deal on e-reading


Sun_Cat wrote:

keriflur wrote:

FWIW, this almost-completly-OT thread has more posts in it than the actual discussion thread.


Which one? :catlol:


Any of them. LOL, telling each other what to do is the hot topic of the week so far.  :smileywink:

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
Posts: 814
Registered: ‎12-06-2010
0 Kudos

Re: HARSH REBUTTAL

[ Edited ]

gb18 wrote:

 

AlanNJ wrote:

DeanGibson wrote:

IT IS NOT REQUIRED THAT EVERYONE KNOW ABOUT THE B&N/MICROSOFT DEAL.  None of it has anything to do with the actual usage of Nooks.  Yes, it's nice to know.  The first time.  In the appropriate forum, not blasted all over the message board.  If I want to read about it (and I do), I would go to the "Community Room".  If someone wants to read about the Nook Tablet and nothing else, that is their choice, not mine, GB18's, or anyone else (except the B&N staff).

 


THAT was exactly my point in the first place by posting on two different boards.  I don't go to the "Community Room" and until this minute didn't even know anything was posted there.  There are many boards I don't frequent on this website and my assumption is that many others are the same way.


You are correct.  Just do a search of these boards on your original post and you'll find different conversations on several boards.  Most of the posters don't know about the other discussions.

 

Like these:

 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Community-Room/Microsoft-to-Invest-in-Barnes-amp-Noble-s-Nook...

 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-General-Discussion/MS-investing-in-Nook-possible-s...

 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Simple-Touch-General/Barnes-amp-Noble-Microsoft-ink-300M...

 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Book-Discussion/Barnes-amp-Noble-Microsoft-ink-300M-deal...

 

 

Fresh discussion, this time on the Color board:

 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-General-Discussion/MS-investing-in-Nook-possible-s...

Freedom is not free.
Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
Posts: 788
Registered: ‎12-03-2011

Re: HARSH REBUTTAL

Now it appears we need a meta-board for posting meta-indexes (yeah, yeah, I know: indices) to all the related (but largely OT and self-referential) threads on a single topic. Oh, wait. There's a Search function?

 

(That would be funnier if the Search function actually worked well.)

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,552
Registered: ‎01-05-2010

Re: HARSH REBUTTAL


gb18 wrote: 

Fresh discussion, this time on the Color board:

 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-General-Discussion/MS-investing-in-Nook-possible-s...



O noes!  Someone make them stop!  Aaahhhhhhhhhhh!  :smileywink:

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
Posts: 814
Registered: ‎12-06-2010
0 Kudos

Re: HARSH REBUTTAL

 

keriflur wrote:

gb18 wrote: 

Fresh discussion, this time on the Color board:

 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-General-Discussion/MS-investing-in-Nook-possible-s...



O noes!  Someone make them stop!  Aaahhhhhhhhhhh!  :smileywink:


I think I'll just stop reading them now.....if I can.  :smileyhappy:

Freedom is not free.
Nallia
Posts: 4,758
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
Registered: ‎02-15-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Barnes & Noble, Microsoft ink $300M deal on e-reading


keriflur wrote:

Sun_Cat wrote:

keriflur wrote:

FWIW, this almost-completly-OT thread has more posts in it than the actual discussion thread.


Which one? :catlol:


Any of them. LOL, telling each other what to do is the hot topic of the week so far.  :smileywink:


When isn't it the hot topic here? :smileytongue: