Inspired Correspondent
Lineola
0 Kudos

Barnes and noble website, soooo slow!

Hopefully this isn't too off topic for this forum, but I'm a NC user and frequent B&N book purchaser and has anyone else noticed how freakin' slow the website is?  I have a fairly new computer, I play online games, have 2GB RAM, work from it etc and have a moderate speed internet connection.  I am trying to go online right now to buy a book so I have it for a party tonight and I can barely stand how slow it is to go from page to page [digression, yes, I am such a bookaholic I'm already planning to find a corner and read at the party...but hey, I can still HEAR the music :smileywink:  I'm ready to disable pictures or something. 

Is there some trick or is this just a programming problem they have?

Lineola

P.S. LOVE love lovefest for my NC. I like the thing more each week I have it.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MaluhiaKana
0 Kudos

Your connection, soooo slow!

[ Edited ]

Works just fine here. Loads as fast as any other site I visit. Must be on your end.

Wordsmith
Serendip
0 Kudos

Re: Barnes and noble website, soooo slow!

Not the least bit slow here, either.

New User
NookieSH
0 Kudos

AMEN - the website is slow - many times it will freeze up my internet if I have more than one url opened - it doesn't matter if I am at work, home or whereever it is a VERY SLOW WEBSITE.

Contributor
gooville
0 Kudos

I have the same problem and it has always been this way-very annoying-

Correspondent
moogs
0 Kudos

Not slow here.
Distinguished Correspondent
Beachgirl75
0 Kudos

No problems here either.

I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.
Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

Lineola wrote:

Hopefully this isn't too off topic for this forum, but I'm a NC user and frequent B&N book purchaser and has anyone else noticed how freakin' slow the website is?

Its all the scripting on the site ~ slower PC's or indeed accessing from the NC itself with the stock browser take time working through the scripting. People with faster systems won't notice it. I notice it when browsing from home with my netbook, but if I'm in the library waiting for a student to show up for a tutorial, on the library computers it comes right up.

This is a common site design issue as sites are normally demoed for management using the current corporate configuration, which because of tax depreciation for a company like B&N and cost of ownership versus cost of purchase may well be replaced every three years or so. So you can add bells and whistles without spending much time optimizing the efficiency of the code and it all looks great.

gnkc
0 Kudos

Painfully slow. It really doesn't matter what I'm attempting to do, it takes forever for pages to load and sometimes freezes completely.

It's the same whether I'm at home on my new Toshiba laptop and new ISP or at work on my work issued three year old Dell laptop.

No other site I visit is anywhere near as slow as the BN site, whether from work or home.

gnkc
0 Kudos

BruceMcF wrote:

Lineola wrote:

Hopefully this isn't too off topic for this forum, but I'm a NC user and frequent B&N book purchaser and has anyone else noticed how freakin' slow the website is?

Its all the scripting on the site ~ slower PC's or indeed accessing from the NC itself with the stock browser take time working through the scripting. People with faster systems won't notice it. I notice it when browsing from home with my netbook, but if I'm in the library waiting for a student to show up for a tutorial, on the library computers it comes right up.

This is a common site design issue as sites are normally demoed for management using the current corporate configuration, which because of tax depreciation for a company like B&N and cost of ownership versus cost of purchase may well be replaced every three years or so. So you can add bells and whistles without spending much time optimizing the efficiency of the code and it all looks great.

Whatever the reason for the terrible response time at BN website, I usually find myself heading to Amazon to look for books I'd like to purchase and to get info on books I'm interested in, then head back to BN and hopefully be able to buy the book without wasting too much time or getting too frustrated with BN website.

Never have a problem navigating Amazon's site.

I'm sure it's ok with BN if I do my research at Amazon and buy at BN but there are times when I do not make it back to BN.

New User
a3love
0 Kudos

THE WEBSITE IS SOOOOOOOOOOOO SLOW!

while waiting for the website to fully load, i googled the term, "barnes and noble website slow" and found this forum thread.  

i have a brand new computer.  all the bells and whistles.  i have an interent speed of 100/100mbps, yet everything comes a complete halt when visting bn.com.  i cannot stand it.

like the previous poster - i always head over to amazon to reasearch my books and then come back to bn after i have found what i wanted.  i cannot stand how slow it is!  its making me crazy!

bn really needs to get a handle on this.  in today's world - without a screaming fast site, they're going to get left behind.

Correspondent
thelios
0 Kudos

I too find the website slow also. I was having trouble finding the wish list on the nook color. I was going to chat with an expert and was a mistake. Tried to find the wish list on the user guide, another big mistake. Trying to get help anymore is hopeless. I am going to put all my wish list material over on the kindle site because theirs is easier to get to and so much faster.
You live and you learn, some people just live!
Correspondent
vvlovesu
0 Kudos

Not slow here either. Maybe it's the web browser?

Reading isn't a "hobby". It's a lifestyle.
Contributor
apagafuego
0 Kudos

Just went'n checked... not slow at all here, and this is a cheap-a... glitchy computer. I accessed right out of Yahoo

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

vvlovesu wrote:

Not slow here either. Maybe it's the web browser?

Probably. I advise anyone having this trouble to try the latest Firefox, in which bn.com has adequate performance on my 5-year-old laptop. Very occasionally it slows to a crawl, but that's usually because of third-party advertising servers.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
Frequent Contributor
Weedy533
0 Kudos

I switched from Internet Explorer to Google Crome and it has helped a lot.

Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook
0 Kudos

I concur. There is a noticeable increase in speed with Chrome over IE9 on my netbook for both these forums and Yahoo news links.