Frequent Contributor
momof3redheads
0 Kudos

Battery Life

I have a Nookcolor.  I basically use it at home alot.  I read on it, occasionally surf the web and facebook and I play Words With Friends and read Devotionals, etc...off and on during the day. Doing all this of course while connected to WiFi.  I notice that I have been having to charge my battery almost daily if I dont want it to die on me while Im reading at night.  I know that turning off the Wifi will save battery but I hate to have to connect it every time I want to do something that requires Wifi..are there any other ways to reserve the battery time?

Wordsmith
CraigAZ

Re: Battery Life

momof3redheads wrote:

I have a Nookcolor.  I basically use it at home alot.  I read on it, occasionally surf the web and facebook and I play Words With Friends and read Devotionals, etc...off and on during the day. Doing all this of course while connected to WiFi.  I notice that I have been having to charge my battery almost daily if I dont want it to die on me while Im reading at night.  I know that turning off the Wifi will save battery but I hate to have to connect it every time I want to do something that requires Wifi..are there any other ways to reserve the battery time?

Turning wifi on and off is easy. Just tap the lower right hand corner (that shows the wifi and battery) and you bring up the quick settings menu. Tap the wifi to turn it on or off. To get rid of the menu, just tap anywhere outside of the quick menu. Your previously-connected wifi settings quickly connect, even with security passwords, etc.

On the other hand, yes, with active usage you may need to charge the nook color daily. Besides turning off wifi when not needed, turning the brightness down may help you get longer life from the device.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

I find the biggest consumer of battery, by far, is the screen. With screen brightness set to about 25%, I see roughly a 10% battery drop per hour. With the screen off, this drops to 1%. I have found that leaving wifi on if I am connected to a wifi network doesn't make much difference. If you are not connected, the device will spend a lot of unnecessary battery upping the radio and trying to locate an access point.

So reallly, the more you play with it, the less total time you'll see. I just make a point of charging it overnight when I can. I'm happy with it, and it's much better than any other device I've owned.

Contributor
caulktel
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

When I wake in the morning I unplug from the charger and use my NC all day for reading and a host of other activities, then I read for several hours before going to sleep. I never shut down WiFi and keep the brightness about 25%. After all that, I'm down to about 40% on the battery and plug it back in before going to sleep. The next day I start the whole thing over again and have never run out of power before. I pretty much do this with my iPhone 4s and all my devices, (Bluetooth headset, etc.), and never have problems. So the moral of this rambling post is: Plug it in every night before you go to bed.:manhappy:

Frequent Contributor
whiteoakBR
0 Kudos

I agree - the only time I have needed to recharge the battery besides at night is when I am home sick and read continuously for 6 to 10 hours or when I watch videos of more than 2 hours on top of my normal reading amounts - I plug the NC in after I do my nightly reading in bed thing and it is ready to go the next morning.  I keep my screen set very low for brightness and the WIFI is always on.

Some people have expressed a fear of fire from the charger but my setup is such that the charger isn't on easily flammable items and it is near my head (on a bed-side table) so I would wake before it could get out of hand - my charger has never even gotten hot to the touch -

Frequent Contributor
MikeNC
0 Kudos

I leave wifi on all the time except if I take my NC out of the house (which is rare - I usually take my N2E with me when going out).  But, I also agree with the others about just charging it every night.  Frequent charges like that will not harm a Lithium polymer battery, nor will leaving it plugged in all night.  With a max. rated reading time of only about 8 hours, it is simply not going to last much more than a day of heavy-to-moderate use anyway.  Just the nature of LED backlit color LCD devices, in my experience.

I tend to treat it just like my cell phone - always plug them in at night so they are fully charged and ready to go the next day.  I almost never actually pay any attention to where the battery meter actually is.

Oh, and I also keep my screen backlight set pretty low.  I find I only need to set the slider up a very little bit from the far left and I can read just fine and minimize the power used by the LEDs.

Frequent Contributor
kayokat
0 Kudos

I've noticed a huge difference in battery life since the upgrade.  I think the battery is still discharging when the Nook is in sleep mode.  I was actually down to 14% battery charge left today.  I've had my Nook for over a year and never had this happen before.  This afternoon I checked the battery and it was at about 45%.  I turned the screen brightness down all the way, made sure wifi was turned off and put it to sleep.  I came back a couple of hours later and it was down to 14%.  

Something bad in that upgrade, I just know it.

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

Unless a room is particularly bright (from sunlight) I find that a screen brightness of around 10-15% is quite comfortable. You might want to notch it down a little from where you like it now and you might like it or at least find it easy to be accustomed to without eyestrain.

Frequent Contributor
kayokat
0 Kudos

I normally keep my screen brightness at a low setting - just my preference.  However, this battery issue has nothing to do with the brightness level.  I've made no changes to the way I use my Nook and yet, since the upgrade, my battery drains much more quickly than it ever did in the past.  And as I've said, I've been using this device for over a year now.  B & N as always remained silent on issues such as this.  I've always found their customer service people to be rather uninformed.  Their response to a call about this was, "Gee, that's the first we've heard about it."  This battery drain is making it very difficult to use while on the road.  I've started to power the unit all the way off rather than putting it into sleep mode.  It's very inconvenient because of the time it takes to boot up.

Correspondent
tuck229
0 Kudos

kayokat wrote:

I've noticed a huge difference in battery life since the upgrade.

I think you've got something else going on.  If it were just the update that started zapping power, then it should have affected lots of people, which would have caused an uprising.  I haven't noticed any difference since the update on my NC

Odd timing, though, for you.  Maybe there's an app you use that for whatever reason doesn't get along w/ 1.4?  I dunno...

I have a question to add to the discussion for anyone who knows.  I know that the Nook will update itself when in sleep mode, so if you leave wifi turned on but Mook in sleep mode, leave the house w/ your Nook, is it searching for a wifi connection all that time while in sleep mode, or does it only try that once you wake it up?

I think screen brightness is the biggest key to battery life.  I tend to keep mine at 30-50%.  I usually just leave wifi turned on except at work, which has a few hoops you have to jump through to connect, and it gets annoying dealing with the popup box about connecting throughout the day.  I've been impressed with the battery life on my NC so far, and mine was bought in September as a refurb.  I don't actually time it, but I usually only have to plug it in every other or every third day.  My smartphone has a much shorter life and isn't really used very much--certainly not as much as my Nook during the day.

Frequent Contributor
whiteoakBR
0 Kudos

The next time you notice a rapid decrease in battery power take a look at the battery symbol in the bottom right hand corner of the screen.  See if it indicates "charging" when it isn't plugged in.  There is a glitch that causes this and when it thinks it is charging but not plugged in it uses battery so fast.  I have had this happen a couple of times (once it went on so long before I noticed that the corner of the NC was getting warm to the touch), you need to completely power down and then back on to interrupt the faulty "charging" cycle.  I have had my NC since Christmas 2010 and this has only happened 2 or 3 times so not a big problem.

bobstro

Generally, the battery consumption on my unit is fairly flat during the night when the unit is off (< 1% per hour), but by (un)happy coincidence, last night, it dropped much more rapidly than normal (~5% per hour). Not as quickly as when in use with the screen on, but definitey faster than normal.

Poking around with some diagnostic tools (I'm rooted), I noticed that the "Media" process had kept the unit on. I had been looking at some movies earlier, so this makes sense.

I can think of a few things that you can try on an unrooted unit to try to narrow down the culprit:

1. Have you loaded any software that does background polling or updates? Live Wallpapers are be a prime suspect. Email, social media updates and the like are also problematic. Try turning polling off, or setting to a longer interval between polls if this applies.

2. Exit programs by hitting the back button or doing the back swipe to exit, rather than just pressing the 'n' (home) key. Some programs stay in the background if you just toggle out, rather than backing out. I suspect this is what happened in my case.

3. Wifi will, of course, consume some battery when on, but if you're actually connected to a wifi network (associated to an AP), it shouldn't consume inordinate amounts of battery. If you are NOT connected, it will consume more power as the device searches for an AP to connect to. Could it be that your signal is weak and the connection dropping during the night?

I'm not sure what B&N's "phone home" interval is set to. You could try powering off wifi before sleeping to see if that makes a big difference.

4. Finally, if all else fails, there is a final diagnostic step to try to figure out if it's something you run, or a configuration issue: Before you quit for the night, power the unit off and back on, then just let it sit. Our purpose here is to determine if it's something that you launch that causes the background power consumption, or just the way your unit is operating.

Frequent Contributor
kayokat
0 Kudos

Thanks to all for your suggestions.  I too find it odd that this just started happening after the upgrade and perhaps I am blaming the upgrade for something else going on.

My Nook is not rooted but I did create a CM7 sd card.  I don't use it very often but didn't think to use it to run diagnostics.  I'll try that.

I very rarely have my wifi on because I noticed from the beginning that it seems to cause the battery to discharge quicker.  I have a fast broadband service and an E4200 linksys router, so I know my connection to wifi is excellent.

I've always used email sparingly on the Nook and have it off most of the time.  I have a picture as my wallpaper and have been using it for over a year.  I may be guilty of using the n button rather than the back button when exiting apps.  I have never liked the fact that there is no way to be sure an app is closed and out of memory.  I'll make sure I back out rather than n out in the future.

I'll do a little more experimenting based on all your helpful suggestions.  Thanks again.

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

Kayokat,

Right after the update I had my NC go from 45% to 0% very rapidly.   After recharging it, it seemed fine.  Someone suggested to me that the update may have affected the battery calibration.  Have you completely powered down?  That is, have you turned your NC off, not just put it to sleep since the upadate?  Have you tried a soft reset, holding the power button until the NC shuts down and then holding it about 20 seconds longer?  While it is not generally recommended that you let your NC drain to 0%, has that occurred to yours as it did to mine?  That and recharging seemed to solve the problem. 

Jeremy

bobstro
0 Kudos

Good point, JinSC. On every Android device I've owned, the battery gauge is not to be trusted unless I've done at least one run-to-drop cycle. That's not necessarily good for the battery, but I don't do it often, and it just sorta seems to happen sometimes.

I had one device that ran over 3 hours with MP3 audio playing while the battery gauge showed only 1% left. After it dropped and I charged it back up, the gauge was accurate.