Frequent Contributor
Grammarsnob
0 Kudos

Bejeweled 2 and wifi access

[ Edited ]

I love Bejeweled. Lovely game.

I installed it on my Nook Color, then turned my wifi off and went to play it.

When I open it, I get a pop-up message saying "Unable to purchase: Please enable Wi-Fi and connect to an access point to continue."

When I clear that off, there's another, saying "Error! Unable to authorize for use on your Android device."

When I turn wifi on and connect to my house's internet, it works fine.

I know the charge went through ok. There is more than enough $ in my account for a little three dollar game.

I've tried archiving/unarchiving, and that did nothing.

I went to look at the reviews, and some people have been emphatically swearing wifi isn't needed. So I ask you people saying that: How did you fix it?

Having wifi on constantly does such horrible things to my battery life. :smileysad: I usually have access to wifi when I feel like playing (home/work/cell phone hot spot), but still, that's wasteful.

:smileysad:

Frequent Contributor
MaleficentIL
0 Kudos

Re: Bejeweled 2 and wifi access

Agree with you 100%.  Went through the same problem yesterday.  I think they should have told us wi-fi connection was needed in order to play.  Total waste of my money.

Frequent Contributor
Grammarsnob
0 Kudos

It seems more likely to be a bug than a deliberate thing. We all agree it's stupid to require wifi, amd some people apparently have gotten it to work wihout it.
Contributor
BrenCocoaFL
0 Kudos

I was able to play it last night, after initial load, as I was still connected to wifi, waiting on the update to push down. Didn't get the update, and was very disappointed when I tried to show a coworker how Bejeweled looks and got nothing but error messages. Hopefully someone is contacting popcap & the porting company to fix this.

I can't recommend that anyone buy it without this fix. All the games are power drains to start with, but having to keep wifi on, playing one game last night, used 8 percent of the power. Game lasted 10 minutes or less.

Bibliophile
Schwa
0 Kudos

Bejeweled2 is being provided to the NC by Electronic Arts, which is the same company that provides The Game of Life. That app had the same wifi issue for the first week or so and they fixed it in an update. Lets hope they do the same for Bejeweled :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
thecuckoo
0 Kudos

I was just coming on to post the same thing.  I wish I had seen this before I bought the app.  I hope they fix the bug soon because I normally want to play when I'm in places where I do not have wifi access (court waiting for my case to be called, the kid's schools, parking lots, etc.)

Inspired Contributor
Nerdymamaw
0 Kudos

I am playing Bejeweled2 on my NC as I type this on my laptop and my wifi is turned off on the NC. When I first tap the Bejeweled icon, I get a messae that says "Warning! Connect your Nook to wifi in 9 launches to check for updates, bug fixes and more". When I tap the OK butten, the game comes up.
Reader 4
CapeDiva
0 Kudos

Agree with nerdymama - I don't have wifi in my house - only cable internet - and play it all the time. I get the same warning to connect every 9 times to check for updates, but playing it offline has been effortless. Don't know why you're having the trouble...